Game 11 #CUSEvsGT Ramblings

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I thought at the time, as I watched the game, that the targeting was unintentional. It looked in real time like the player was anticipating where he thought the ball was going to be. Some of the most “applauded” defensive plays by announcers involve fumbles or incompletions where the defender’s helmet dislodges the ball.

But definitely should get a penalty and suspension because it was a dangerous play even if unintentional.
No doubt… and a fraction of a second sooner, the defender has his shoulder in the middle back of the receiver.
This replay is pretty damning, but it is such a bang / bang play.
Honestly, I don’t think the “intentional” dirty shots happen anywhere near as regularly as they used to. These guys are so much bigger and faster and stronger these days… truly malicious cheap shots could change a player for good.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Chris Young could bring the lumber. Same guy who grabbed Jasper Thanks fumble in '99.
Yeah, that was a legal hit 20 years ago but today it's targeting (and rightfully so).
That was a legal hit when I played Pee Wee football. My, my, my, the times have changed…

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't know what to expect. I watched some of the Syracuse game last week and was impressed with their rushing game. Pitt is usually tough to run on. And we have had trouble, but mainly with QB runs. Fingers crossed.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Problem with 4-3 packages is that our LBs are often a liability . So you are taking a better pursuit and tackle player off the field for someone that likely is a liability.

I think we still base out of a 4-2-5 but keep King and Brooks in the box; so it will be a modified 4-4. They’ll be critical in controlling the edge. You’ll also see some 5 DL looks.

You’ll see a lot of Efford and Moala at LB; don’t think it is game where Tatum plays a lot.
In that case we’ll probably see some big nickel packages with CPL taking over for KJ Wallace to supplement run support. Or maybe Jaylon King takes the hybrid S/LB role. If we do indeed see a lot of option packages from Syracuse, then we should definitely leave Biggers on the field except for when he genuinely needs a rest, in which case Lockett should go in. Need a NT in at all times to prevent getting gashed up the middle.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In that case we’ll probably see some big nickel packages with CPL taking over for KJ Wallace to supplement run support. Or maybe Jaylon King takes the hybrid S/LB role. If we do indeed see a lot of option packages from Syracuse, then we should definitely leave Biggers on the field except for when he genuinely needs a rest, in which case Lockett should go in. Need a NT in at all times to prevent getting gashed up the middle.
Hope the coaches are taking notes 😊

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This game is like a FINAL for the semester.Use all your knowledge and capability and MAKE it HAPPEN.Win this game and its an OBVIOUS positive step -probably a bowl game--is there to claim.Lose and we are back to "rebuild" mode in progress again. .

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder about turnout…very disappointed to hear a lot of students are apparently going home early for Thanksgiving.
Hopefully still decent turnout given what’s on the line (bowl game).
My son has classes on Monday and Tuesday at Tech. It may depend on the program.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My son has classes on Monday and Tuesday at Tech. It may depend on the program.
Yeah, I’m not ready to rag on the students. They’ve been the most dependable and vocal part of game day support.

I also remember what it was like for me and what it was like for my children in college. Trying to finish up classes, arranging travel, including flights, all with the understanding that you might as well skip the biggest family event of the year if you can’t make a timely exit. Depending on the school, distance to travel, and when classes resume after Thanksgiving, the window for taking a family break can be pretty narrow.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I’m not ready to rag on the students. They’ve been the most dependable and vocal part of game day support.

I also remember what it was like for me and what it was like for my children in college. Trying to finish up classes, arranging travel, including flights, all with the understanding that you might as well skip the biggest family event of the year if you can’t make a timely exit. Depending on the school, distance to travel, and when classes resume after Thanksgiving, the window for taking a family break can be pretty narrow.
I was from out of state so Thanksgiving weekend was the chance to get together with past friends from high school that had also come home for that weekend. Freshman year was a big deal to see close friends that gone to different schools. I never attended a UGA Tech game until I was married and in grad school.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I never went home for Thanksgiving due to COFH

So how long has it been since you’ve spoken to family?

When your family likes the Dwags, eat with your friends.

episode 9 eating GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation