FSU

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I was impressed by BOB. He had a great game plan. Always amazed by BC. Where do they get those lineman. They always have a good OL and DL.

in before FSU’s high school offense?
BOB has a solid success as a coach. Yes at Penn State for 2 years, they were average. But it was in the context of being right after Paterno and dealing with major sanctions against the program. In his 6 complete seasons with the Houston Texans, 5 were winning seasons. I think he will be one of the top coaches in the ACC.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I can’t wait until we’re having these same conversations about Georgia.
Well, yeah, but… I hate to type it, but UGAg is in a completely different place than F$U. Except for the 8-12 hours right after a game, the mutts are fit and focused. Not seeing this happen to them.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
FSU players probably thought the GT loss was a fluke and that they could just rely on superior talent to skate past BC. Maybe now they have realized it still takes hard work, preparation and execution sometimes to overcome a motivated opponent with “lesser” talent.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU players probably thought the GT loss was a fluke and that they could just rely on superior talent to skate past BC. Maybe now they have realized it still takes hard work, preparation and execution sometimes to overcome a motivated opponent with “lesser” talent.
Doubtful. The 22 O and D starters probably have more than comfortable NIL deals and care almost zero at this point about the outcome of their season.

The only guys on that team that care at this point are the guys that have current year early round NFL drafts hopes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Enjoying Clemson and FSU stinking things up as they tarnish the image and standing of the ACC feels kind of like we are Samson, happily pulling the temple down on ourselves because we know it’s crushing our enemies. I really want to see as many quotes, memes and posts as possible of their fans wailing in agony. 👺

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Well, yeah, but… I hate to type it, but UGAg is in a completely different place than F$U. Except for the 8-12 hours right after a game, the mutts are fit and focused. Not seeing this happen to them.
Ahhh, it’ll all come around. Always does. May not be anytime soon, but that program will be in disarray at some point. With a harder schedule now, if they start to lose 2-3 games a year…their fans will not be happy. Regardless of how good they are. No different than Richt. I mean they could realistically go 9-3 this year. Maybe even 8-4. At Bama, at Texas, at Ole Miss. They lose 2 of those 3, miss the SEC title game, lose in the playoffs…and a lot of their fans will pull out the pitchforks. Pair that with the cultural rot, the cracks start to get bigger and bigger and bigger. Then you’ll have some rogue boosters saying…we’re now losing 2-3 games a year, kids are getting arrested left and right…maybe our guys aren’t focused, maybe we should find a better leader of men (although they really don’t care about this, but if they start to lose a couple games, they’ll all of a sudden care…That Chip Towers was right!).

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Ahhh, it’ll all come around. Always does. May not be anytime soon, but that program will be in disarray at some point. With a harder schedule now, if they start to lose 2-3 games a year…their fans will not be happy. Regardless of how good they are. No different than Richt. I mean they could realistically go 9-3 this year. Maybe even 8-4. At Bama, at Texas, at Ole Miss. They lose 2 of those 3, miss the SEC title game, lose in the playoffs…and a lot of their fans will pull out the pitchforks. Pair that with the cultural rot, the cracks start to get bigger and bigger and bigger. Then you’ll have some rogue boosters saying…we’re now losing 2-3 games a year, kids are getting arrested left and right…maybe our guys aren’t focused, maybe we should find a better leader of men (although they really don’t care about this, but if they start to lose a couple games, they’ll all of a sudden care…That Chip Towers was right!).
I don't disagree, though Richt is twice the person that Smart is from my vantage point. Still, you are right - if Smart starts losing 2-3 games per year he will be gone, and the program will transition again. I don't think that is this season though.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I wrote the prediction below on a post on August 11th. I'm shocked how accurate it was. I'm skeptical of the portal and NIL as a team building strategy. It can be a useful tool to fill holes. But just like in pro sports, you can buy players, but you can't buy a team. FSU has terrible 'ownership.' The program is toxic. They just keep making their case for an invite to the B1G or SEC worse and worse.

I'm not at all sold on F$U. They had half the team quit on the previous season, got drubbed 3-63 in the bowl game, sued their conference, lost their star Heisman-candidate QB (and RB and WRs and DTs and LBs and...), and brought in a bunch of NIL free agents to 'reload'. The offense was just 'ok' without Travis last year, and they lose him and the other key contributors. Uiagalelei was 43rd in QBR, 54th in passing yards, 75th in QB rushing yards (only 219 on the season) last season at OR St. (and there's reasons he's not at Clemson.) I'm not really buying the hype on him. They have enough talent (on paper) to win a lot of games. But it's a lot of question marks. I really question if all the new (pay to play) faces can gel, especially in game one and especially given the toxicity and distraction around the program.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I wrote the prediction below on a post on August 11th. I'm shocked how accurate it was. I'm skeptical of the portal and NIL as a team building strategy. It can be a useful tool to fill holes. But just like in pro sports, you can buy players, but you can't buy a team. FSU has terrible 'ownership.' The program is toxic. They just keep making their case for an invite to the B1G or SEC worse and worse.
You were right on the money. Could not have been anymore correct.

Interesting that Ga State also hit the transfer portal hard but was able to create a culture of tough discipline almost immediately. Their new coach is impressive. Boston College also seems to use transfers wisely while maintaining a healthy culture. Again, credit the coaching staff.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, points about FSU v BC:

• BC gave them fits last year. Castellanos (why, oh, TFG, isn't he at Tech?) is one of the best QBs in the league, right up there with King and McCord. If they didn't expect a tough game then they are certifiable. And it looks like they are.

• It is obvious now why FSU isn't using a long passing game. It isn't that DJU can't throw the. ball. It's because they don't have much of a ground game that can soften up Ds for longer throws. Also, it should now be obvious that the departures from their WR room are really hurting them. One reason they aren't trying to lengthen the field is that they don't have anybody who can reliably a) get open and b) catch the ball.

• DJU is being very poorly coached. Last year at OSU he led the Beavers to 8 wins and the Sun Bowl. It isn't as if he's not capable; shoot, the Beavs almost beat Washington last year. The problem is that Norvell has him in an O that doesn't fit him. He depends on a good running game to keep the opposing D off him long enough. It is obvious that a) he doesn't have it and b) he is having trouble getting down his sequence. That probably means he gets replaced next week. Too bad; he has plenty of talent.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Ha Ha. I love it. I never thought Norvell was a very good coach. The last 2 years he had a terrific QB, Travis, who won a lot of games for them. He has great recruiting classes, tons of NIL, and he picks a QB who is terrible. LOL. His coordinators musy be awful. I also think the team lacks toughness, which comes from the top.
During our game with them, they made this big point of him sitting down with DJU and watching games with different scenarios in order to show how they could improve with him and help him improve. I kept thinking, "After all of that work, how did they not evaluate him correctly." He had success in a run-first offense - FSU had 21 rushing yards against BC.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok, points about FSU v BC:

• BC gave them fits last year. Castellanos (why, oh, TFG, isn't he at Tech?) is one of the best QBs in the league, right up there with King and McCord. If they didn't expect a tough game then they are certifiable. And it looks like they are.

• It is obvious now why FSU isn't using a long passing game. It isn't that DJU can't throw the. ball. It's because they don't have much of a ground game that can soften up Ds for longer throws. Also, it should now be obvious that the departures from their WR room are really hurting them. One reason they aren't trying to lengthen the field is that they don't have anybody who can reliably a) get open and b) catch the ball.

• DJU is being very poorly coached. Last year at OSU he led the Beavers to 8 wins and the Sun Bowl. It isn't as if he's not capable; shoot, the Beavs almost beat Washington last year. The problem is that Norvell has him in an O that doesn't fit him. He depends on a good running game to keep the opposing D off him long enough. It is obvious that a) he doesn't have it and b) he is having trouble getting down his sequence. That probably means he gets replaced next week. Too bad; he has plenty of talent.
My son and I watched the game last night, and commented how FSU looks a lot like the Carolina Panthers last year (we had season tickets). They had no downfield passing game because their OL was so bad and they didn't have a true downfield threat, so teams could just sit on their short passing game/run game.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
My son and I watched the game last night, and commented how FSU looks a lot like the Carolina Panthers last year (we had season tickets). They had no downfield passing game because their OL was so bad and they didn't have a true downfield threat, so teams could just sit on their short passing game/run game.
F$U's OL didn't look good against us, except their first drive, and it didn't look good in what I saw last night. Part of DJU's issue is he's constantly getting hands on him. However, he's big and tall enough to be able to overcome that. We'll see if he can, or if their OL stiffens.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
F$U's OL didn't look good against us, except their first drive, and it didn't look good in what I saw last night. Part of DJU's issue is he's constantly getting hands on him. However, he's big and tall enough to be able to overcome that. We'll see if he can, or if their OL stiffens.

He’s also got no movement whatsoever. He can’t move in the pocket let alone extend with plays his legs. They had one red zone play last night where he tried to fake a throw and juke an edge rusher who just gobbled him up like a toddler. I think he’s lost some mobility since his Clemson days. And the FSU WRs just aren’t good enough to create separation in the little time he has.

He’s not great but he’s also not their biggest problem. They were supposed to have a Top 10 OL and Top 10 DL. And both look atrocious. Like worst in the league bad. Unfathomably bad.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
They have four freshmen and a sophomore. Looks like they went into to season all-in on DJU. Last year’s backup quarterback transferred out (maybe pushed). Tate Rodemaker was their only upperclassman QB other than Jordan Travis.
Totally forgot that Brock Glenn played in the ACC Championship game. He was 8/21 for 55 yards, but if I remember correctly Rodemaker had a concussion and he was a game-time decision. With the ACC Championship and then starting the bowl game Glenn had pretty bad numbers: 17/47 in those two games for 194 yards.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
BOB has a solid success as a coach. Yes at Penn State for 2 years, they were average. But it was in the context of being right after Paterno and dealing with major sanctions against the program. In his 6 complete seasons with the Houston Texans, 5 were winning seasons. I think he will be one of the top coaches in the ACC.
For the members who enjoy hearing the FSU misery, google any FSU game recap podcasts. Talk about a meltdown. On BOB, he looked like an NFL Coach on the sideline (calm and cool) while Coach Norvell was pacing frantically up and down the sideline - (the players pick up on this.) For a liberal arts school, someone should tell Coach Norvell that he can't looked so panicked. Coach O'Brien and his NFL staff apparently are also way more experienced on the new technology allowed on the sideline than the FSU staff according to FSU media. And get this true story. About 25 years ago, myself and several friends had lunch with Coach O'Leary. We were joined by Coach Friedgen and a young Coach Bill O'Brien. The thing about Coach O'Leary was he was such a regular guy and he was extremely comfortable around people. He really seemed to enjoy himself at those Chick-fil-A lunches on Friday. Of course, Coach O'Brien was the serious one of the three

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Totally forgot that Brock Glenn played in the ACC Championship game. He was 8/21 for 55 yards, but if I remember correctly Rodemaker had a concussion and he was a game-time decision. With the ACC Championship and then starting the bowl game Glenn had pretty bad numbers: 17/47 in those two games for 194 yards.
Glenn played with half a team against a pi$$ed off UGAG team. I'd toss that one out as an outlier.

The fact that F$U didn't show up pi$$ed off, too, was the big story of that game and the issue so far this fall, IMPO.