FSU

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Was at the game..i was sitting in the FSU student section and was very outnumbered...couple of observations: about every 9 out of 10 FSU girls are hot and have fake blonde hair (which sadly I'm a sucker for :) )...sorry off track, the game was awesome and I enjoyed running my mouth every time we extended the lead. Lammers is a beast #TheGreatWallOfLammers he was just outworking the 7 footers and snatching boards with one hand. Okogie was great too! When he is aggressive we usually win...and big. Okogie reminds me of a mix of Shump and even tho i dont like him, D-Wade. Due to the way he glides in the air, and always seems he is still going up when he jumps. And s/o to Heath with that beautiful bounce pass to Josh. From where i was standing I had a perfect angle to see it. He threw the pass without being able to see Okogie. One of the best passes I have seen live.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Also, had to give love to Starbury tonight #Okogie4FreshmanOfTheYear #Lammers4Heisman
IMG_20170125_213836_701.jpg

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
'Cuse board talking GT...

SyracuseFan.com - Ben Lammers Hair...
Looks like he borrowed Cameron Diaz's special "gel" from There's Something About Mary ...
Not sure if this helps or hurts our chances on Saturday thing is for sure - GaTech is no joke at home
Maybe it will give us some confidence that FSU can play this bad... but we certainly aren't going to sneak up on them now.

On the plus side we play GT twice and they look like they could end up a tournament team. Lammers looks pretty legit but but it looks like 60% of it is FSU laying an egg.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Couldn't even believe what I was seeing with this game. JO was ridiculous. Moore made a bunch freshman mistakes but it didn't matter... Against a team that was 18-2. At some point other teams laying an egg at the dome can't just be luck. We played 100% effort all night.

If we somehow keep this staff together and grab Walker this team will have high expectations next year. I'm really trying hard to not have them this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If we somehow keep this staff together and grab Walker this team will have high expectations next year. I'm really trying hard to not have them this year.

Makes you wonder if some of the big name local 2017 recruits are looking at this team and our staff thinking "Man, should have waited until the Spring and given GT a chance..."

As a recruit, how do you look at what we're running and not think "Man, that's a fun system to play in!". The staff is letting every position show case their skillset from all over the court. You have freshmen playing big minutes and given the freedom to be the lead scorer. You've got holdovers from CBG who had modest impact playing the best basketball of their college careers. No one is being held back, and guys are given the freedom to play their game within our system. Oh, and GT is winning WITHOUT them! Imagine what GT could do with them.

Pastner is obviously building something here, and the media is starting to take notice. I think we're a class or two away from Pastner turning down high level talent because frankly, we're going to be a team that top tier prospects want to play for and we have only so many spaces. If you're a high level recruit from the local area, you're gonna be crazy to turn GT down if Pastner wants you.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I promise you that FSU did NOT have this game as one of their anticipated loses this season (too be fair I didn't think GT would have but 1 ACC win at this juncture in the season at the beginning of the year either.)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, what an impressive win.
That first half may have been the best half of GT basketball since early in the 2005 season before injuries set in (anybody remember the start of that season, beating MI by 38, UGA by 43).
What was most impressive was it wasn't due to hot shooting - not like GT hit a ton of threes, or went 65-70% from the floor. It was 19-11 about halfway through went FSU went through its long drought - GT was playing excellent defense and FSU got flustered and helped GT by taking bad shot after bad shot - often early in the clock - giving GT chances to get out and get some easy buckets.

Lammers and Okogie were monsters, Q had another good game.

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I was impressed by Okogie's postgame interview. He showed a really high basketball IQ and coachability, talking through the adjustments that he needed to make following the VT and UVA games. I hope he stays all 4 years for us, but his progress has made me think he won't last that long.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Man what a fun night. Made even better by the fact that the arena was loaded with recruits.

sLammers is a pro. If he knew how good he was ....

Man, Great to see Okogie just grindin'. That 1-on-5 play where he missed the shot, got the board and got fouled all surrounded by defenders was just amazing hustle.

Love seeing St3ph3ns aggressive. Just a great night.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Unbelievable. I never expected to hang around in this game, much less blow them out. If we finish 18-12 and can win a game or 2 in the ACCT I think we'll be dancing. Incredible job by the players and the coaching staff. I'll be honest, I didn't think I was planning on coming to a game this year since it's such a trip, but I'm about to buy some tickets.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Couple of quick observations

It's been great to watch Okogie develop this year. At the outset he was talented but erratic and made freshmen mistakes. You can see the maturity and decision making improve every game. Last night he was the best player on the court.

Kudos to CJP & staff for the decision to go to a variety of zones and keep the opponent off kilter every possession in terms of what we'll be in and how to attack. We are a bad man-to-man team but the zones maximize our strengths and hide some of our weaknesses. We've also shown the uncanny ability to get good teams to take really bad shots. UNC & FSU both shot themselves out of the game with horrific shot selection.

Moving Lammers to high post to open up the lane for cutters and utilize his passing and 12 foot set shot. (hard t ocall it a jumper when he barely leaves the floor) Other teams struggle with defending this look. Maybe they will start to scout and game plan better, but until they do, it's working unbelievably well

Most of all, the effort the kids put out. FSU was in cruise control most of the first half. They clearly thought thye woudl win this no problem and mailed it in. Tech took nothing for granted and worked relentlessly on both ends. How many offensive boards did Okogie get just by hustling while FSU kids stood still and waited for the ball to come to them?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
One quick thought re: Q

What has made him effective offensively lately is he's scaled back on trying to do too much. This is coaching/development. Early in the season, he was shooting off the dribble too much. That's not his game, and frankly it's more difficult for most players.

If you watch the last several games, nearly all of his attempts are off the catch. And to his credit, even some of those successful catch and pops are coming off weird angles, on the run, etc., which are not normally easy shots. He's definitely in a groove lately and I think part of it is just confidence as a result of taking what's given.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
The crazy thing about this season is that in every interview possible CJP keeps commenting on how we just need to get lucky to win a couple of games that we shouldn't and get lucky to land a big name recruit that we shouldn't, but all I have seen from this team and this coach and his staff is the polar opposite. I don't he believes in luck at all and is just using that as a way to get sympathy from the media and fans in what was supposed to a historically bad year for Tech. This group is not relying on luck. They are going out there and straight up winning games we have no business even being competitive in and the basketball world is beginning to notice. Any recruits we land to finish this year's cycle out and however many games we win from here on out will have nothing to do with luck and everything to do with the hard work this team has put in and the incredible job this staff has done getting the team to believe in the system, developing their talents, and learning their weaknesses. For the first time in my lifetime Georgia Tech is winning basketball games due to game planning and coaching instead of superior talent. I cannot wait to see where this program can go once our talent level gets to the level of the rest of the ACC.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Alright!

I was so far wrong it was embarrassing on this one. But I'll take being wrong like this every time. I can't remember seeing anything like what I saw last night in a very long time. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and it just never did. Bens first half was nothing like his previous 3 games. He was energized and had some fire (or at least as much as he usually shows) We got Ojo into foul trouble and he played about half of his normal time and JMCK is not ready to log heavy minutes. Jarquez Smith also got into some foul trouble which is good Bc he was playing well. +14 on the boards is incredible. How's this for a number

Heyward Okogie Heath : 25 rebounds
Ojo Isaac Bacon: 10 rebounds

Blows my mind.

Okogie 14/17 from the line.

I'm non-committal on the post season play thread. I'm not there yet. But, in order for that to happen Jax has got to get it together. He averages 10 a game. He needs to get that for us to be a real post season player. He was full of fire last night and did a great job helping beat that press but that guy has to 1-keep his head in the game (situationally especially) 2-score points. He's really trying to accomplish #2 to the detriment of #1 IMHO.

Okogie at the mid point is ACCROY for me. Keep Dennis Smith. Where's his team at? DSJ can play no doubt but he's gonna get his and they're going to lose.

I didn't see SC this morning (or any morning really) did Heaths feed back door to Okogie make top plays?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member