FSU

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Haven't seen the top plays on SC but they did cover the game with a video focused solely on Okogie and it ends with a couple looks at the last Heath to O back door and one.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I was reading the ACC roundup on a Duke page, but in praising Tech there was a great line that describes the GT/FSU game: "Tech just destroyed Florida State. This was blitzkrieg on the hardwood." Says it all.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Winning is fun.

Hadn't had much of it for GT bball lately, so it's easy to forget how much fun it is going to bed on a winning high instead of trying to forget the dumpster fire of watching guys not able to inbound passes and having to call timeouts because they can't beat the press.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Question: How long has Pastner and the staff been signaling in our defenses using signs? Saw a shot of him holding up a sign and the announcers were saying how he was telling the players what defensive set up he wanted.

I know that's the "thing" in football these days. Not sure I've seen in it in Bball before tonight.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Any tourney does not matter - at this point.

What is important is to keep coming together as a team, discipline, focus, coaching up, listening to coaches, effort, never quit in any game, be competitive.

And recruit.

CJP could turn GT into a giant. The school, the location, the conference & exposure.

Something we have never dreamed of in any sport.

Buy tickets. Donate $. Is it that hard?

Its been a while but we WERE a national factor.Just watching alll the college games and think how many of these good teams have NEVER gotten to Final Four forinstance.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Alright!

I was so far wrong it was embarrassing on this one. But I'll take being wrong like this every time. I can't remember seeing anything like what I saw last night in a very long time. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and it just never did. Bens first half was nothing like his previous 3 games. He was energized and had some fire (or at least as much as he usually shows) We got Ojo into foul trouble and he played about half of his normal time and JMCK is not ready to log heavy minutes. Jarquez Smith also got into some foul trouble which is good Bc he was playing well. +14 on the boards is incredible. How's this for a number

Heyward Okogie Heath : 25 rebounds
Ojo Isaac Bacon: 10 rebounds

Blows my mind.

Okogie 14/17 from the line.

I'm non-committal on the post season play thread. I'm not there yet. But, in order for that to happen Jax has got to get it together. He averages 10 a game. He needs to get that for us to be a real post season player. He was full of fire last night and did a great job helping beat that press but that guy has to 1-keep his head in the game (situationally especially) 2-score points. He's really trying to accomplish #2 to the detriment of #1 IMHO.

Okogie at the mid point is ACCROY for me. Keep Dennis Smith. Where's his team at? DSJ can play no doubt but he's gonna get his and they're going to lose.

I didn't see SC this morning (or any morning really) did Heaths feed back door to Okogie make top plays?

yep, backdoor play made the ACC highlights
another stat-- our 2 PGs did not score a POINT!
the job that this coach staff has done is OFF THE CHARTS

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One quick thought re: Q

Kudos to CJP & staff for the decision to go to a variety of zones and keep the opponent off kilter every possession in terms of what we'll be in and how to attack. We are a bad man-to-man team but the zones maximize our strengths and hide some of our weaknesses. We've also shown the uncanny ability to get good teams to take really bad shots. UNC & FSU both shot themselves out of the game with horrific shot selection.

This is exactly what I said before the game.. It was our best shot at victory..Little did I know that we would come out and out-hustle, out-scrap, and out-execute them in every phase of the game.

Regarding the switching up of defenses, he has done it all year, and it is the primary reason that we are at the top of the conference in FG% Def...He's confusing the hell out of some really good teams/coaches!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, all that you said.

However, they're not a high BBIQ-type team so it's possible we get them to just play ... bad (for lack of a better description). If we start seeing a lot of dribble, dribble, step-back long 2's and early-clock 3's and other non-winning plays, they'll allow us to be in the game despite having a tremendous depth/overall talent advantage.

Funny, it's almost like many of them play like bad-Tadric. They just happen to have more talent/athleticism so it kinda works (most times).

This guy's a prophet.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Or an attention whore

com.gif

Yeah, chalk it up to post-win euphoria.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Alright!

I was so far wrong it was embarrassing on this one. But I'll take being wrong like this every time. I can't remember seeing anything like what I saw last night in a very long time. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and it just never did. Bens first half was nothing like his previous 3 games. He was energized and had some fire (or at least as much as he usually shows) We got Ojo into foul trouble and he played about half of his normal time and JMCK is not ready to log heavy minutes. Jarquez Smith also got into some foul trouble which is good Bc he was playing well. +14 on the boards is incredible. How's this for a number

Heyward Okogie Heath : 25 rebounds
Ojo Isaac Bacon: 10 rebounds

Blows my mind.

Okogie 14/17 from the line.

I'm non-committal on the post season play thread. I'm not there yet. But, in order for that to happen Jax has got to get it together. He averages 10 a game. He needs to get that for us to be a real post season player. He was full of fire last night and did a great job helping beat that press but that guy has to 1-keep his head in the game (situationally especially) 2-score points. He's really trying to accomplish #2 to the detriment of #1 IMHO.

Okogie at the mid point is ACCROY for me. Keep Dennis Smith. Where's his team at? DSJ can play no doubt but he's gonna get his and they're going to lose.

I didn't see SC this morning (or any morning really) did Heaths feed back door to Okogie make top plays?

Pea, I think that with Jax, he has been coached quite a bit this year on picking his spots better... Not just going out there and looking for your first shot.. I hear what you are saying about needing his production. You are probably right, if we are going to make the post-season, we will need some more from him, but I'm encouraged by his play recently.

I think that he has been much better about playing within himself and not trying to do too much. Especially over the past 2-3 games. It just seems like he is letting the offense come to him. All parts of his games have improved as he is beginning to grasp what Coach wants from him. He's playing better D, but more importantly, he is making hustle plays. He had 5 boards last night and he is facilitating quite a bit more as well.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Question: How long has Pastner and the staff been signaling in our defenses using signs? Saw a shot of him holding up a sign and the announcers were saying how he was telling the players what defensive set up he wanted.

I know that's the "thing" in football these days. Not sure I've seen in it in Bball before tonight.

Haven't seen him do this so far this year - last night was the first time I noticed it. Leads me to believe we had trouble in our last couple of games getting everyone on the same page in terms of which defense we were running, being we change them seemingly possession to possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Pea, I think that with Jax, he has been coached quite a bit this year on picking his spots better... Not just going out there and looking for your first shot.. I hear what you are saying about needing his production. You are probably right, if we are going to make the post-season, we will need some more from him, but I'm encouraged by his play recently.

I think that he has been much better about playing within himself and not trying to do too much. Especially over the past 2-3 games. It just seems like he is letting the offense come to him. All parts of his games have improved as he is beginning to grasp what Coach wants from him. He's playing better D, but more importantly, he is making hustle plays. He had 5 boards last night and he is facilitating quite a bit more as well.

Yeah he is better this year than his first two. There is no denying that. Here is what I'm seeing:

1H last night- 0-2 trip to the line and one was waaayyy off. Gotta split em at the least.

1H- I beleive he brought the ball across the timeline and dribble dribble dribble throws up a 3. You have to know in that game last night we need to run some offense. We can get that shot at literally any time we want it. (Similar to the shot he took on the break against Clemson when we were up 6, but he made that one. Doesn't make it a good shot, but if you're going to take it, make it. Or guys like me gonna be up in your crap)

2H- Flashes to the he foul line and gets the ball the D collapses he gets to the elbow, leaves his feet, turnover. (but I think we got it right back) One dribble out to the top, get it to Heath and we reset.

2H- Takes a break 1 on 2. One of the two is Ojo. This one bothered me a lot at the time. So many things he could have done here and he did the one thing he probably shouldn't have done. He got blocked. Pull up and take the easy one, or get into him and get fouled. Or pull it back.

He is probably the 2nd most talented player on the team but his decision making is less than ideal and I fear it may cost us a game at some point.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I was so impressed with the Isaac kid in their game vs. ND and Lville. He showed last night why NBA teams drafting based on potential typically end up in the lotto multiple years at a time. Kid's clearly talented but bringing it at a high level on a nightly basis is tough, especially when you go from playing 30-35 games to playing 82+ vs men.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
One thing that I loved about this game was that we kept up the intensity for 40 minutes. Not easy to do when you're winning by such a large margin. In the past, I would have been sweating it out over the second half. FSU was determined to penetrate our zones and get to the basket during the second half, and at times it worked. But every time they seemed to make a semblance of a push, we answered. Great composure to handle the pressure. Says a lot about the team and staff.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah he is better this year than his first two. There is no denying that. Here is what I'm seeing:

1H last night- 0-2 trip to the line and one was waaayyy off. Gotta split em at the least.

1H- I beleive he brought the ball across the timeline and dribble dribble dribble throws up a 3. You have to know in that game last night we need to run some offense. We can get that shot at literally any time we want it. (Similar to the shot he took on the break against Clemson when we were up 6, but he made that one. Doesn't make it a good shot, but if you're going to take it, make it. Or guys like me gonna be up in your crap)

2H- Flashes to the he foul line and gets the ball the D collapses he gets to the elbow, leaves his feet, turnover. (but I think we got it right back) One dribble out to the top, get it to Heath and we reset.

2H- Takes a break 1 on 2. One of the two is Ojo. This one bothered me a lot at the time. So many things he could have done here and he did the one thing he probably shouldn't have done. He got blocked. Pull up and take the easy one, or get into him and get fouled. Or pull it back.

He is probably the 2nd most talented player on the team but his decision making is less than ideal and I fear it may cost us a game at some point.
He had some good drives defense collapsed and kick it out for open shots. Can make plays which we need bc dont have much people who can.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
One thing that I loved about this game was that we kept up the intensity for 40 minutes. Not easy to do when you're winning by such a large margin. In the past, I would have been sweating it out over the second half. FSU was determined to penetrate our zones and get to the basket during the second half, and at times it worked. But every time they seemed to make a semblance of a push, we answered. Great composure to handle the pressure. Says a lot about the team and staff.

This.

FSU was not just missing open shots in the first half. We made it tough for them. We were not just making open shots but shots from within the flow of our offense. We played good team basketball.

The reality / question is how reliably we can perform at this level

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We played really well last night. We played good aggressive defense and efficient offense - full stop.

However, there is also no doubt FSU (like UNC) picked last night to play one of their worst games of the season. They didn't run their sets or play D like they usually do. Missed the shots they did have, got frustrated and allowed it to snowball on them.

We are a lot better team than I ever expected us to be this year, but we need some help to beat most teams in the ACC (smaller list than I thought when the season started though). I still think we get boat raced again this season (maybe twice) when a team hits on all cylinders and we can't keep up. The underlying talent difference between us and most of the rest of the ACC is still there.