FSU

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

This may turn out to be the most imposing game yet.

Scary length & athleticism, multiple NBA prospects, defense that doesn't quit, vastly improved offense from multiple players.

Can our defense hold them off? I have no idea.
Can we generate enough offense to win the day? Who knows.

I do know this. If there's any chance you can make it to the game on Wednesday, be there & be loud. Our players & our recruiting need you there. Our recruiting definitely needs you there (wink, wink).

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Jonathan Isaac is turning into a very nice player. XRM can score in bunches or distribute . Bacon is a player. The size, length and athleticism they have is crazy.

I don't see them losing too many games this year. Anything is possible, especially at home, but I think this one is a long shot

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man, not sure how they do it, but FSU consistently has tall, athletic guys at every position who seem to be able to do a bit of everything. Match up problems at 1-5.

No clue how this will play out for us, but I don't have a good feeling about this one.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope I am wrong, but this may be CJP's first three game losing steak. That's why the VT loss hurt so badly. Saying that, I love the heart of this team and the improvement throughout the year.

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
After the UNC game, I decided I was going to withhold any predictions. We've proven this year that we can beat anybody, or we could lose to anybody. If it's any consolation, we could lose this game and still be able to say, "Josh Pastner has never lost 4 games in a row."

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW I think this is a better matchup than UVA. Our offense works better against teams that want to pressure. But this is still a long uphill slog. Lot of things will have to break right and I will be really surprised if they do.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
sLammers is either gonna break out this game or be totally undermanned going against their frontcourt. Hoping somebody ... anybody can get him some help.

Deleted member 2897

Well just to drive the point home about how good they are, Notre Dame shot 15-21 from 3 point land and LOST. Can you imagine taking 21 shots...and getting 45 points from it? That's higher than 100% from the field when you convert to 2 pointers. And yet Notre Dame LOST. Its going to be a tuffy.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I hope I am wrong, but this may be CJP's first three game losing steak. That's why the VT loss hurt so badly. Saying that, I love the heart of this team and the improvement throughout the year.
Many would not have been surprised if he had a 15 to 18 game losing streak this year. I think it is pretty remarkable that he has not already had his first 3 game losing streak this year.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Many would not have been surprised if he had a 15 to 18 game losing streak this year. I think it is pretty remarkable that he has not already had his first 3 game losing streak this year.

Agree 100%. The kids have surpassed my expectations of them, both individually and as a team. I won't speak for others, but I definitely questioned the talent level on the team and didn't give them enough credit. I'm happy as hell for them, as they are the ones who should derive the biggest satisfaction from their efforts

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
I had chance to go to a game at FSU a couple weeks ago (big win over Duke ... always fun watching Duke get run out of a gym).
I think we may ,match up better than we did against UVA - but not optimistic on a win.

FSU is deep - really deep - so can't wear anyone out.
They do settle for 3's - agree with switching up defense, keying on a couple players to not give them anything (let the others take them) ... problem is they have 4 or 5 guys that are capable of going off.
-- Need some luck, hope they are flat after beating Notre Dame and Lousiville.

FSU, for as big as they are, does not go inside much - very guard oriented team.
Isaac is a huge matchup problem for Q - taller, quicker, longer ... Q will have trouble getting good looks.

Out advantages - Okogie and Tadric penetration/driving .... and Lammers off the penetration.
FSU has trouble guarding the dribble penetration - but can our guys finish.

I will be there cheering them on, but suspect a 10-15 point loss coming .....

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand thinking we matchup well with these guys. They have like 17 seven footers. Ojo is going to give Ben fits. CJ Walker, Mann, Bacon, XRM, Savoy are all very good players and then there is Isaac who is starting to grow into what he's supposed to be and oh he shoots 75% from the line. We saw how athleticism can do against us in the VT game. Now we get more athleticism AND a ton of skill to go with it.

I think we lose by 25 at minimum

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand thinking we matchup well with these guys. They have like 17 seven footers. Ojo is going to give Ben fits. CJ Walker, Mann, Bacon, XRM, Savoy are all very good players and then there is Isaac who is starting to grow into what he's supposed to be and oh he shoots 75% from the line. We saw how athleticism can do against us in the VT game. Now we get more athleticism AND a ton of skill to go with it.

yeah, this

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow

What I like in the matchup - FSU plays man (very little zone) and has trouble with dribble penetration ... JO and Jax should have chances to penetrate - now will/can they finish of find someone for open 3's (that can make them), or get fouled.
As for bigs -I agree Ojo will muscle Lammers, he's got about 80 pounds of muscle on him - Ben scores mostly off high post jumpers and feeds on dribble penetration against FSU.
Ojo only plays 15 minutes a game ... they go to smaller/quicker bigs most of the time which Ben can post up if he get it where he can do something.
FSU likes to play a lot of one on one on perimeter of offense (does not play in to out very much) - does not move the ball the way UVA or Duke do ... but still moves it. Concern is they have at least 5 perimiter players that can get hot from 3 so hard to key on one (you have to start with XRM and Bacon ... but they have more).

I think about 15 feels right (about 75-60) - it could get ugly if FSU gets hot.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Yeah, all that you said.

However, they're not a high BBIQ-type team so it's possible we get them to just play ... bad (for lack of a better description). If we start seeing a lot of dribble, dribble, step-back long 2's and early-clock 3's and other non-winning plays, they'll allow us to be in the game despite having a tremendous depth/overall talent advantage.

Funny, it's almost like many of them play like bad-Tadric. They just happen to have more talent/athleticism so it kinda works (most times).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think we have been wearing down and this game will get ugly late and get away from us. Blowout city, baby! FSU by 20....