FSU

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Serious question regarding JMo and his FT shooting. Am I nuts or does he seem to be a bit stiff in the legs and doesn't "flow" from the floor through the release?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
The dance or NIT discussion deserves its own thread. I think the shock value of Tech's year could get them bubble consideration if they stay at 500 in conference and win a game in the acc tourney. But at this moment it is still such long shot imo given the totality of info, like RPI, home loss to UGA, overall subpar pre-conference schedule.

But, I won't bet against this team flat out winning their way into the dance. I would be more there on that wagon if we had that VT road win.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Best move by CBG in his 4 years at Tech- Recruit Josh Okogie!

ya know what. i was sad to see cbg let go. i love his personality. a nice guy.

here's the thing... paster has those qualities as well AND the guy is YOUNG... AND he can coach... AND he is smart.

id love to see cbg get involved in the program again on another level. he is a great ambassador for gt but i would suppose that would be awkward for him.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
ya know what. i was sad to see cbg let go. i love his personality. a nice guy.

here's the thing... paster has those qualities as well AND the guy is YOUNG... AND he can coach... AND he is smart.

id love to see cbg get involved in the program again on another level. he is a great ambassador for gt but i would suppose that would be awkward for him.
He's getting paid, so let's us him and get something of value from those dollars.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Good point on the care taken with the staff. If CJP had gone by this board the staff would have been slap dashed together so that they could get to recruiting faster and would have been heavy on the local AAU flavor.

i brought this up awhile back. imo bobski hired a staff that could also help the young pastner learn on the job. he is a work in progress surrounded by the advisors he needed. hats off to bobski

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Any tourney does not matter - at this point.

What is important is to keep coming together as a team, discipline, focus, coaching up, listening to coaches, effort, never quit in any game, be competitive.

And recruit.

CJP could turn GT into a giant. The school, the location, the conference & exposure.

Something we have never dreamed of in any sport.

Buy tickets. Donate $. Is it that hard?

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Loudest the Dome has been all year, hope that came across to those watching on TV.

The first half was possibly the best half of basketball we've seen here by GT in a long long time - other than FT shooting.
Several folks commenting on the passing, movement "with purpose", timing of plays (how many times have we seen Heath throw a great bounce pass off the dribble to JO or someone cutting to the basket for a back-door layup), and defensive rotation ..... a lot of good coaching is very evident - and I am sure we've not seen much of that (this century?). Something we saw tonight was patience and effectively getting the ball in/up against the FSU press in second half - how many Hewitt teams could not even get the ball in-bounds under pressure.

Every team has 1-2 games a year where they can't do anything right - FSU had one of those tonight - I would not want to be the team they play next.
Every team has 1-2 games a year where they can do no wrong - as good as GT played, this was not really one of those (we did more right offensively against NC State) .. .shooting percentages were not that high - and a lot of not so good shots - but did take care of the ball (except for Moore).

FSU is more talented and despite how good we played, I think they would beat GT in a best of 5 series - but earlier in the post I thought we did not match up as poorly against them as we did against UVA - basically I though UVA could shut us down (they did pretty much) ... I thought we could score on FSU as JO and others that could dribble penetrate would cause them problems, and Lammers could be very effective in the high post.
What I did not expect was GT could limit FSU to about 50 ... they have too many good shooters. Pastner switching up the defenses and this team learning how to play effective zone - coupled with a little luck is slowing most teams down.

Great win to enjoy!
Those of you near Atlanta that don't regularly come - get out and cheer these guys on. The effort they are playing with is off the charts.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Any tourney does not matter - at this point.

What is important is to keep coming together as a team, discipline, focus, coaching up, listening to coaches, effort, never quit in any game, be competitive.

And recruit.

I disagree with the first statement. And it's because with what the team has already done, 4 wins in conference, two against the two top teams atm. We've proven that we can play winning ACC ball and do so consistently. I don't see how we can accomplish what you said is important without making at least the NIT. Especially since our ACC schedule is extremely front loaded. We have already played 5 of the top 6 teams currently in the ACC as well as Duke, and we don't play any of them again. The combined ACC record of the teams we have left to play is 32-43. Now we're walking proof that no ACC game is easy, but I feel like we should at least get 4 more wins with that schedule and the way we have played in ACC play, and that should be enough to get into the NIT at least this year. With 2 wins against top 10 teams it's possible that we make it to the NCAAT with that type of record.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What a great game to be at. A big step in the right direction with the crowd although still a big FSU contingent. I feel a full house coming on. The team and the vibe is just too much fun to pass up.