FSU Post game thread

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The FSU oc was in America.

Our OC and qb made them pay a price.

Imo, they never trusted thier qb to ad lib and go off script.

They thought we would choke.

On defense blitz s were in rush lanes, not wild spin movers around outside.
Also Efford seems to be quickly getting better and this years DB are tackling much better.
Improvment on gt run defense was great.

Imo, FSU is just looking for excuses because they finished week 1, but dont have any identity. Gt sucked the life out them. .

inknerd

Georgia Tech Fan
Kudos to CB Harvey on 2 of the best open field tackles I have ever seen. One on a 4th down FSU attempt that might have put them in scoring posotion. BTW, the entire team has been tackling well.
I've watched the FSU game a handful of times at this point, and if I had to pick one single thing we improved on most over last year, it's tackling.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Kudos to CB Harvey on 2 of the best open field tackles I have ever seen. One on a 4th down FSU attempt that might have put them in scoring posotion. BTW, the entire team has been tackling well.

I've watched the FSU game a handful of times at this point, and if I had to pick one single thing we improved on most over last year, it's tackling.

It's been a pleasant surprise. Frankly, I'm impressed that we have seemingly turned one of our most serious weaknesses into a strength since the former DC was let go.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It's been a pleasant surprise. Frankly, I'm impressed that we have seemingly turned one of our most serious weaknesses into a strength since the former DC was let go.
To be fair, I would not say it is a strength just yet. Our offense is but our defense is just significantly improved. Maybe average to slightly above average. I think there is a lot of room for improvement. I feel like FSU got way over confident and played a very conservative offense. They opened up a little on that 4th quarter drive and we struggled, Even though we did get them into 4th down twice but they still converted.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing FSU fans and others say “After the first drive, Georgia Tech loaded the box on defense. FSU should have thrown the ball more, and Norvell should have trusted his QB”.

I looked at the condensed game. FSU and GT weren’t lined up that much differently on defense. Our linebackers were sometimes 4 yards off the ball, sometimes more. We blitzed a lot, but I didn’t see us selling out to stop the run. Even if we did, FSU was nearly balanced in play selection. FSU passed 28 plays, and ran on 30. We would have gotten killed if we overcommitted to the run.

In contrast, We passed on 16 plays (for 9.1 yards per play) and ran 36 times. FSU should have stacked the box (except, we ran outside).

Did any of you see us stacking the box, except on goalline plays?

We didn’t load the LOS, we played man on the receivers with our corners and almost always had a safety at least faking a blitz. They were about 10-12 yards deep, not at the LOS.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, I would not say it is a strength just yet. Our offense is but our defense is just significantly improved. Maybe average to slightly above average. I think there is a lot of room for improvement. I feel like FSU got way over confident and played a very conservative offense. They opened up a little on that 4th quarter drive and we struggled, Even though we did get them into 4th down twice but they still converted.
I would need to watch it again but I don't recall those two fourth-down conversions being the result of bad tackling.

And getting them into fourth-down situations twice was likely the result of good tackling.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I would need to watch it again but I don't recall those two fourth-down conversions being the result of bad tackling.

And getting them into fourth-down situations twice was likely the result of good tackling.
One the first 4th down play-too many guys there thought that "he " was going to cover.Oddly Efford took himself out pass lane. On the 2nd-- a 2nd unit CB got left with no center cover help on a slow blitz by safety. Bad plan and bad execution

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There’s an intro to the grading system at https://www.pff.com/grades.

It’s like a letter grade. The top QB’s have a grade in the 90’s. At Tight End, Brock Bowers was second with an 84.4 grade. Your grade isn’t your talent level, but there’s a correlation. You get bonus points for making an insane play—I think Haynes (Jamal) had a couple of those, and come to think of it, so did Haynes King.

If you have a grade in the 90’s for the season, you’re a top 5 player in the country, in how you performed. Depending on your position, you might be the best at your position in the country with an 84.

Your grade is not your talent, but they’re related. It’s how good a job you did at doing the thing you were trying to do.

If you’re in the 80’s, that seems like a dang good game.

There are some other interpretation, but this chart is from PFF. In the NFL, >85 is a pro-bowler grade. It’s hard to find a player grade for the season higher than 95.

View attachment 16707

So, on offense, these guys killed it (snap count in parentheses):
1. RB Chad Alexander- 79.6 (14)

2. RT Jordan Williams- 78.2 (52)

3. RB Jamal Haynes- 77.4 (38)

4. TE Avery Boyd-71.8 (6)

And the rest were average or above average. There were some people solidly above average.

On defense, it wasn’t as good. Here’s your good + solidly above average list:

1. LB E.J. Lightsey- 72.9 (5)

2. DE Sylvain Yondjouen- 67.4 (28)

3. DE Josh Robinson- 67.3 (26)

4. DT Jordan van den Bert- 66.9 (21)

5. DT Makius Scott- 66.7 (37)

6. CB Ahmari Harvey- 65.6 (56)

Feel free to say why some people got too low of a score.

Here’s DJU from FSU’s grades:
3. DJ Uiagalelei (71.5) - 61 snaps

and here’s Haynes King:
19. QB Haynes King- 59.5 (51)

But, after the game, FSU fans want to dump DJ Uiagalelei and we think King had a Heisman game

Shrugs GIF
Well that last part just indicates that the grading is not a good measure of how well someone played. King played a much better game than DJ by pretty much all accounts.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at the game and enjoyed the trip. A couple of comments that may have already been mentioned:

1. Nick Saban flew there and back on the Tech charter. (I got to stand in line next to him at the airport) Perhaps he imparted some luck of the Irish, but likely his former connections were the reason (Key and Batt)
2. At the "pep rally" Key said paraphrased "we're going to punch them first, punch them last and punch them all game".
3. FSU fans were cocky, but not Ugag obnoxious. They were out before the game, but absent afterwards leaving the stadium.
4. We were outnumbered fan wise. But a great turnout by Tech fans.
5. O'Leary was there and I got to chat with him for a few minutes. He was excited about the game. He listed 5 keys to the game. Wish I could accurately remember, but two were, tackle in space, and win one on ones. Exactly what Tech did.

Great win. Hope fans show up this weekend wearing white.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

I never implied it was bad tackling, more of FSU starting to show some signs of life on Offense and our D not shutting them down.

slugboy

Staff member
Well that last part just indicates that the grading is not a good measure of how well someone played. King played a much better game than DJ by pretty much all accounts.
Rewatching the condensed game helped me

Our running backs had a great game. They made people miss, and in a couple of places made the defense look like they were learning to ice skate. Singleton had a play or two where he did the same.

To repeat myself redundantly, the running backs were absolute stars on a rewatch of the game, and a couple of linemen.

King played a different game than DJU. He ran more, and I think the PFF grade gives him less credit for that. King did more to win the game than DJU did.

(Back to GameOnPaper.com)

Stat lineYards/playEPA/playEPASRWPA
Dropbacks
DJ Uiagalelei19/27, 193 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 1 Sck, 89.5 xQBR, 0.00 DETMER6.890.308.4350%26.0%
Dropbacks
Haynes King11/16, 146 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 0 Scks, 68.2 xQBR, 0.00 DETMER9.120.548.5656%47.0%

Rush attempts
Jamal Haynes11 carries, 75 yds, 2 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)6.820.374.0664%10.0%
Chad Alexander7 carries, 41 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)5.860.281.9771%13.0%
Malik Rutherford1 carry, 9 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)9.000.920.92100%3.0%
Eric Singleton Jr.1 carry, 10 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)10.000.810.81100%1.0%
Zach Pyron1 carry, 1 yd, 1 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)1.000.570.57100%3.0%
Haynes King15 carries, 54 yds, 0 TD, 2 Fum (0 lost)3.60-0.05-0.7140%-1.0%

The two fumbles kill King’s stat line, and probably his PFF rating. If those fumbles don’t happen, this game probably looks like an even easier win.

DJU was supposed to body his way to first downs, like Cam Newton. King did that.

Rush attempts
Jaylin Lucas2 carries, 13 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)6.500.410.8350%0.0%
Caziah Holmes2 carries, 8 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)4.00-0.08-0.1550%-2.0%
Lawrance Toafili8 carries, 32 yds, 1 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)4.00-0.08-0.6512%-12.0%
Kam Davis1 carry, 0 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)0.00-0.86-0.860%-7.0%
DJ Uiagalelei5 carries, 11 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)2.20-0.20-1.0140%-1.0%
Roydell Williams12 carries, 38 yds, 1 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)3.17-0.27-3.2833%-16.0%

On defense, there were some big plays. There were also some places where FSU just beat us. On FSU’s two touchdown drives, our defense didn’t look that good. It looked better than last season across the board, though. On the other drives, we looked better. One big difference is that we won without a positive turnover margin.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not sure what Norvell is on, but it's working.

His tone and body language does not strike me as a confident coach. Coach Norvell is quite frankly a little bit out of control in this interview. ( Personally, I like Coach Norvell and think he is a fine man.) FSU will probably lose at least 3 more games this year. I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the Seminole fans on social media and the smaller podcasts have laid blame on the Wake Up Warchant media group claiming their media members lied about how good FSU would be. In WW's defense I think they sent out all kind of signals the FSU offense would be clunky, but they overestimated the FSU DL and LBs. Also, Coach Key and the Tech Assistant Coaches flat outcoached Coach Norvell and his Assistants. The whole game played right into Tech's hands. It only makes sense that Tech has smart coaches and players.

slugboy

Staff member
This is from The Athletic, right at the end of the game

It’s by Manny Navarro, the Miami beat writer

It was an impressive upset of a top-10 team for sure, but man how much better did that Georgia Tech run defense look today than it did all of last season? Give new defensive coordinator Tyler Santucci major props.

Florida State averaged 3.2 yards per carry and finished with only 98 yards rushing. A year ago, Georgia Tech allowed 221 yards per game (131st among FBS teams) and 5.4 yards per carry (130th). That's a major improvement.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I've read this 4 times and I'm still confused lol
Getting old and you whiskey me up and I'm afraid I go damn near incoherent.

Seemed like every time we walked into a store, pub, hotel, etc some Irishman yelled out "Hey GT, great win". We always seemed to be surrounded by nole fans and their reactions were priceless. Quite a change from pre-game when they were divided over just covering the spread which was going to be embarassing or a full on blowout. They were split about 50-50.