FSU Post game thread

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line for me :
We beat a VERY good team early in the season. They lost 11 players to the NFL. We surprised them…… a lot. They will bounce back.
As for our outlook: We showed much improvement since last year, especially on D.
Better schemes, better skills , better depth, more resilience and toughness.
It’s been said that a good team improves the most between games 1 and 2 …… we shall see.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line for me :
We beat a VERY good team early in the season. They lost 11 players to the NFL. We surprised them…… a lot. They will bounce back.
As for our outlook: We showed much improvement since last year, especially on D.
Better schemes, better skills , better depth, more resilience and toughness.
It’s been said that a good team improves the most between games 1 and 2 …… we shall see.
Would love to see us deep into the bench by 3rd quarter.

slugboy

Staff member
Advanced Box Score from the team at Sports Source Analytics—they’re based in Atlanta.

For the most part, our offense was really effective at moving the sticks—except for two 3-and-out series. If we can just improve those, we’ll be a juggernaut on offense.

After rewatching, there’s room for improvement—yes, we beat a team ranked 10th, but we can play even better—especially on defense.

IMG_0380.jpeg

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I've watched the FSU game a handful of times at this point, and if I had to pick one single thing we improved on most over last year, it's tackling.
That is very true and it is no surprise to me. After 5 years of starting the season with Scooter's pal as DC who had no idea how to coach tackling techique, we finally have a bona fide P5, now P4, DC who does.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
All this talk is very premature. Just need to win the game and hopefully many players will get to participate.
Agree. This game Saturday involves a major area of needed improvement from last season - performing consistently against a lesser opponent after a key win.

It could be said that we did so with the statement win at UVA after upsetting UNC. However, our season alternated a W and L every game except that one last year. That pattern needs to yield this season to a nice early string of Ws. Our strength of schedule is back loaded, so we better stack up Ws while we can.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree. This game Saturday involves a major area of needed improvement from last season - performing consistently against a lesser opponent after a key win.

It could be said that we did so with the statement win at UVA after upsetting UNC. However, our season alternated a W and L every game except that one last year. That pattern needs to yield this season to a nice early string of Ws. Our strength of schedule is back loaded, so we better stack up Ws while we can.
Each seek Key demands everyone improve.

This team has improved way faster than our opponents. IMO that's what Norvell is bemoaning.
We have 2 bye weeks in the last third of season when we face mia, ncst, uga.

If we take care of business in first third and fight like hexx in middle, I think our oc / coach qb and our dc can really dial up great game plans for end of season.
Go Jackets
The only thing better than 1-0 is 2-0

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Getting old and you whiskey me up and I'm afraid I go damn near incoherent.

Seemed like every time we walked into a store, pub, hotel, etc some Irishman yelled out "Hey GT, great win". We always seemed to be surrounded by nole fans and their reactions were priceless. Quite a change from pre-game when they were divided over just covering the spread which was going to be embarassing or a full on blowout. They were split about 50-50.
Ohh okay gotcha. Makes sense now lol
I'm gonna need more fsu fan pain stories though

finalbuzzer

Georgia Tech Fan
Advanced Box Score from the team at Sports Source Analytics—they’re based in Atlanta.

For the most part, our offense was really effective at moving the sticks—except for two 3-and-out series. If we can just improve those, we’ll be a juggernaut on offense.

After rewatching, there’s room for improvement—yes, we beat a team ranked 10th, but we can play even better—especially on defense.

View attachment 16714

These tables are worth a good look if you want to get even more fired up about our team.

Check how many crucial stats we were better than the national average and we held FSU below that average.

If I had seen these figures about a game for which I did not know the outcome, I would have expected a two touchdown victory.

Of course without superhero FG kicking and if we had stopped one of the 2 4th down conversions on the last drive it would have been.

Hope for more good things in 2 days.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
These tables are worth a good look if you want to get even more fired up about our team.

Check how many crucial stats we were better than the national average and we held FSU below that average.

If I had seen these figures about a game for which I did not know the outcome, I would have expected a two touchdown victory.

Of course without superhero FG kicking and if we had stopped one of the 2 4th down conversions on the last drive it would have been.

Hope for more good things in 2 days.

Neat spread sheet.

Really odd that The Former Person's defense was all about turnovers. They relentless blabbed about it.

But they never demanded the DE set the edge, the DT penetrative or scrape to the ball, the lb get and stay in right lane and don't get blocked. We got zero TO. We just totally stoned the run against a really talented team.

Those techniques are what won the game. Our DL has been terrible except for one player who is playing in NFL. The sudden improvement in lb and db tackling has a lot to do with the DL play. Nfl scouts saw that.

The new dl and DE coaches are money. After the game a 4 star DL recruit decommited UGA9 to come to GT. Per his coach (winner of a number recent state championships ), the kid is high character and has ability to contribute next year.

Imo, top quality ol and dl position coaches are our future.

Please post the sheet again next week so we can compare.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One last viewing of the FSU game.

The idea that we were "stacking the box" to stop FSU's run game is just not true. We occasionally crowded the LOS with one of our two LB and blitzed one of our safeties, especially in the 2nd half, but but played the 4-2-5 pretty much straight up. If it helps FSU to think we loaded up the LOS because we didn't respect DJ, well fine. They are correct about one thing. Our corners did not respect the speed of the FSU WR corps because they crowded them up close on most plays. That helped on running plays. Is that "stacking the box?" It helps to have safeties who can run.

While we certainly missed a few tackles, our tackling, especially in the open field, is much improved. Whatever Santucci is doing had a great impact on that part of our defense over last season.

Our DL held the LOS and played in the FSU backfield far more than the FSU pod fans want to admit.

I expected the FSU collection of transfers to be something less than a cohesive unit in week 0, but their transfers were not the problem. I am not a X & O football guy, but our OL and DL owned the LOS on Saturday. That was supposed to be where we would get beat up. IT DID NOT HAPPEN. At all! How we did that is above my paygrade. Was it slants and stuff, or just tough, physical football by guys knowing how to win? Some of you former players probably know better than I do.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I have no clue who this guy is:

This guy sounds like a line coach – a much deeper dive into what was going on along the lines than most of the other talking heads. His point is FSU and GT both ran many of the same type of counter plays, but ours worked while FSU’s failed. The reason? GT’s better technique and aggressiveness.

That tells me that our coaches did a good job of not only having our guys fired up and ready to play but also teaching fundamentals. That’s probably why our tackling was better as well. We didn’t play mistake-free, but we played fast and without hesitation. That’s a sign of players knowing their jobs on a given play.

This bodes well for the season. Even if we have a lower-energy or “down” game, knowing the fundamentals well will allow us to win a lot of the plays.