FSU Post game thread

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line for me :
We beat a VERY good team early in the season. They lost 11 players to the NFL. We surprised them…… a lot. They will bounce back.
As for our outlook: We showed much improvement since last year, especially on D.
Better schemes, better skills , better depth, more resilience and toughness.
It’s been said that a good team improves the most between games 1 and 2 …… we shall see.
Not that I think it will happen but there is the potential for a letdown. Coming off an emotional game that was very physical it is to be expected. That said, Georgia State has a new coach, a lot of new players, and will come to Bobby Dodd fired up ready to make a statement. I read an article about them somewhere and it was like they had turned the program upside down. For better or worse, is yet to be determined. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I wish I knew more about football. Damn that Hawes. There ought to be "Wanted poster" for him on the wall in the Tallahassee post office. He is an assassin!
That guy is from Yale. Doesn't he know that the Ivies play football like "gentlemen"? Anyway, he is 6-5 260lbs the idea of being an outside linebacker or strong safety up on the line and seeing that runaway train bearing down on you just might cool your ardor for stopping that counter.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Neat spread sheet.

Really odd that The Former Person's defense was all about turnovers. They relentless blabbed about it.

But they never demanded the DE set the edge, the DT penetrative or scrape to the ball, the lb get and stay in right lane and don't get blocked. We got zero TO. We just totally stoned the run against a really talented team.

Those techniques are what won the game. Our DL has been terrible except for one player who is playing in NFL. The sudden improvement in lb and db tackling has a lot to do with the DL play. Nfl scouts saw that.

The new dl and DE coaches are money. After the game a 4 star DL recruit decommited UGA9 to come to GT. Per his coach (winner of a number recent state championships ), the kid is high character and has ability to contribute next year.

Imo, top quality ol and dl position coaches are our future.

Please post the sheet again next week so we can compare.
Let me get this straight...a four star defensive line recruit decommitted from UGA to come to Tech? What is the world coming to? What is a UGA9?

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
A little too much handwringing on here, even for Tech fans. State will be good one day, maybe even good by the end of this season, but Saturday ain’t it for them.
They are probably an 8 win team. At some point when the Conference Championship is out of reach, FSU fans will cast DJ as a scape goat and Coach Norvell will insert Brock Glenn. This has all been foreseeable on the FSU side, but the question is how far can we go? It seems like sometimes Coach Key is talking to all of us - "One game at a time."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Something tells me these guys aren’t looking past anyone. I think Key has them finely focused on 1 step at a time. These guys are hearing all week long that it only takes one stumble to undo EVERYTHING they gained last week. No way this team looks past Georgia State this week. Too much to lose.
The way the subs went in and played was so different. Early this year coach said he could tell we could be good by the sound of the pads hitting during practice. Post game he said qb is very good but we are building a physical team from middle out on both sides of line. Post game that was not speculation.
G'SU will bring pressure and go for interceptions. Can we have confidence to go over top.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Agree with all of this.

Not to belabor the point, it’s just that putting all this on CPJ ignores the fact that Tech had been deemphasizing football and CPJ was trying to keep Tech relevant within impossible constraints. It will always bother me that CPJ got very little help with dealing with negative recruiting, including some of our own fans who made negative recruiting even easier by repeating the talking points.

Well, anyway, I think Johnson is probably quite happy with what is happening with Tech’s offense right now, as well as another option and running QB guru, Ralph Friedgen.
PJ was/is a brilliant OFF mind.He had limited admin support but also I think as he got older he got tired of begging 17 yr KIDs to work in his 'different" system esp at QB.He could finagle the OFF but the lack of DEF was a killer..

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, the Jackets just lined up and beat them. And I believe if they played again, the same thing would happen. It looked to me like the better team won Saturday.
yep, the better team won SAT but we came VERY close to throwing the effort away--- we lucked out recovering that King fumble when Rutledge got it ahead of 3?4? noles and what was shelley thinking not fair catching that punt-a disaster ready to happen. Anyway, I'll take it.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
yep, the better team won SAT but we came VERY close to throwing the effort away--- we lucked out recovering that King fumble when Rutledge got it ahead of 3?4? noles and what was shelley thinking not fair catching that punt-a disaster ready to happen. Anyway, I'll take it.
Definitely some room to clean up some things. If we noticed them, then they've been corrected by now lol. Or we hope.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
PJ was/is a brilliant OFF mind.He had limited admin support but also I think as he got older he got tired of begging 17 yr KIDs to work in his 'different" system esp at QB.He could finagle the OFF but the lack of DEF was a killer..
when that highly rated QB recruit that was supposed to be JT's replacement got injured in that ATV accident, it signalled the end. We just didn't have a line of top QBs outside our door, but that would have been 2 superstars in a row. We might have gotten some momentum, but we got the old kick in the nutsack instead.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
when that highly rated QB recruit that was supposed to be JT's replacement got injured in that ATV accident, it signalled the end. We just didn't have a line of top QBs outside our door, but that would have been 2 superstars in a row. We might have gotten some momentum, but we got the old kick in the nutsack instead.
J. Ratliffe., was given scholarship, went on medical, helped team and graduated.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
For this offense
The way the subs went in and played was so different. Early this year coach said he could tell we could be good by the sound of the pads hitting during practice. Post game he said qb is very good but we are building a physical team from middle out on both sides of line. Post game that was not speculation.
G'SU will bring pressure and go for interceptions. Can we have confidence to go over top.
We went over the top all last season. We went very conservative against FSU for many reasons- game 1, good DB’s, expected their DL and Peyton to get pressure, etc. King missed the one deep ball that would have been a TD, but overall the gameplan was solid and we won. I expect King and our receiving Corp to put up big numbers over the season because we have already shown it. The minute Faulkner sees the D cheating up to stop our 5 star RB corp we’ll burn them deep. Or we simply overwhelm most teams with our running game and we just push em down the field in 7 minute increments.