Freeman big jump

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You got to be kidding about Freeman. He was a freshman all american. He played his *** off and was a big part of our 11 and 3 successful season. He will be even better this year. Our defense was actually pretty good as we got into the later part of the year.

Go Jackets!
Well, I am not really sure what I said that disagrees with your statement.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I asked about him earlier this week...all I can really say is it's up to him.
At Tech it is all up to the student-athlete . . . at [insert name here] it is all up to the athletic department tutor assigned to that student-athlete.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At Tech it is all up to the student-athlete . . . at [insert name here] it is all up to the athletic department tutor assigned to that student-athlete.
I would think we are in the middle. We expect the players to tell the player Devlopment folks when they need help.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's not very difficult to earn freshman conference / all America honors imo. If a freshman starts, and his play is at least adequate...he has a good chance to be recognized. Freeman played better than adequate however, he was without doubt our best pass rusher.
I expect Freeman's play will improve. And his play will be important to our success. I'd be pretty dang happy with 8-9 sacks on top of some additional TFLs. I'm not expecting a 10+ sack kinda season though. He's still just a true soph. Other guys will have to step up also, primarily at SDE.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I would think we are in the middle. We expect the players to tell the player Devlopment folks when they need help.
Do we not have tutors for our players especially when some one like Jabari is trying to get caught up and eligible. If he is still struggling, he needs to concentrate on studies to get eligible rather than spring practice.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
That still leaves us razor thin depth-wise. It is hard for me to be comfortable in that situation. We were so lucky with injuries last year on that side of the ball.

I agree. I trust the coaches, but they seem content to have only two to three guys in the middle. A lot of confidence in the incoming freshmen?? Myself, I would love to see someone like Brown move over to DL.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Do we not have tutors for our players especially when some one like Jabari is trying to get caught up and eligible. If he is still struggling, he needs to concentrate on studies to get eligible rather than spring practice.

Yes, we have mandatory study hall for players...but you can only help so much.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems to me everything will fall into place if Hunt regains eligibility and is the real deal at Green's spot. We have no one else who has shown the ability to play low enough for the interior. But if Jabari fits in there, Gamble and Whitehead and Simmons could play situationally at one end and a bigger Freeman would anchor the other side. We ought to get an improved pass rush out of that. If Jabari doesn't get to play, I don't know what Plan B is for the other tackle spot.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Yes, we have mandatory study hall for players...but you can only help so much.
But he seems to be committed to getting eligible and that is very positive. I am sure with his potential to help our D a plan and objective grades for planned courses have been laid out. I hope he is able to make the grades. I sweated many a grade posting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
People still need to remember that outside of Gotsis and Green, last year's DL was YOUNG.

Freeman was a true freshman.
Simmons was a true freshman.
Chungong was a R-soph
Gamble was a R-soph
Merriweather was a true freshmen
Stargel was a R-soph
Kallon was a R-soph

We don't recruit 4/5 star guys on the DL, Kallon being the exception. The type of guys we recruit usually take a little while longer to really make an impact because they need more physical development. Freeman had a REALLY good year for a true freshmen. When you consider Jadaveon Clowney, one of the most highly rated DEs to ever come out of HS, a guy many thought would be one of the few that could make a jump from the HS level to NFL, had 36 tackles and 8 sacks as a true freshmen...and you compare it to what Freeman did, it's safe to say Freeman exceeded expectations for a 3 star recruit.

I've said it before, JHD is the key to next season's DL. If he's eligible, it gives us a lot of flexibility. I think our DEs are such that we really only need our DTs to hold the point of attack, and maintain gap responsibility. I"m confident that our DEs can bring pressure without the DTs. If we can get 8+ sacks from Freeman, and 3-5+ sacks from every other DE, we will be more than fine.

The youth and talent at the DE positions, as well as the depth at OL, and having JeT is what really has me excited about the future of the football team. By the time 2016 rolls around, our DEs will be well seasoned and physically mature, as will our OL...and JeT will be a senior. And let's not forget our speedsters at the skill positions will be 2 years into the system. GT could be looking at national title implications that year.

2015 looks to be another very good year for us. Will we go to another Big 5 bowl? I'm not sure, but there is not a team on our schedule that we have a less than 50% shot at beating next season. If the difference is coaching, then I'm putting my money on CPJ against any of the coaches on our schedule in 2015.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I was actually trying to compliment Tech and take a veiled swing at UNC/Syracuse, and all the factories where "tutors" write the student's papers and arrange for fake credits and even take tests in some instances for the "student"-athlete. I did not mean to suggest that Tech does not make tutors available and fail to help the student-athletes in a legitimate manner.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
if it does, it may be a first in 4 my 40+ years as a GT fan. We had a good D line in '90 (of course) and the one under Tenuta a few years ago with Vance Walker, MJ, DM. and ??? was a great line (didn't they all at least draw a check from the big boy teams?). But (imo) to have the DL as the strength of the D would be a first in my lifetime. Hope it happens as I am all about new experiences though.
???? = Darrell Robertson or Daryll Richard or Adamm Oliver or Elris Anyabe. Freshmen Jason Peters, Logan Wall and Ben Anderson were also on that team. That 2007 defensive line was absolutely a strength on that team.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
People still need to remember that outside of Gotsis and Green, last year's DL was YOUNG.

Freeman was a true freshman.
Simmons was a true freshman.
Chungong was a R-soph
Gamble was a R-soph
Merriweather was a true freshmen
Stargel was a R-soph
Kallon was a R-soph

We don't recruit 4/5 star guys on the DL, Kallon being the exception. The type of guys we recruit usually take a little while longer to really make an impact because they need more physical development. Freeman had a REALLY good year for a true freshmen. When you consider Jadaveon Clowney, one of the most highly rated DEs to ever come out of HS, a guy many thought would be one of the few that could make a jump from the HS level to NFL, had 36 tackles and 8 sacks as a true freshmen...and you compare it to what Freeman did, it's safe to say Freeman exceeded expectations for a 3 star recruit.

I've said it before, JHD is the key to next season's DL. If he's eligible, it gives us a lot of flexibility. I think our DEs are such that we really only need our DTs to hold the point of attack, and maintain gap responsibility. I"m confident that our DEs can bring pressure without the DTs. If we can get 8+ sacks from Freeman, and 3-5+ sacks from every other DE, we will be more than fine.

The youth and talent at the DE positions, as well as the depth at OL, and having JeT is what really has me excited about the future of the football team. By the time 2016 rolls around, our DEs will be well seasoned and physically mature, as will our OL...and JeT will be a senior. And let's not forget our speedsters at the skill positions will be 2 years into the system. GT could be looking at national title implications that year.

2015 looks to be another very good year for us. Will we go to another Big 5 bowl? I'm not sure, but there is not a team on our schedule that we have a less than 50% shot at beating next season. If the difference is coaching, then I'm putting my money on CPJ against any of the coaches on our schedule in 2015.
we do recruit them. we just don't sign em.