Freeman big jump

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Eric, we seem to have Freeman, Whitehead and Simmons all on WDE. Is that right? Are we still looking at Stargel, Rook-Chungong, and maybe Gamble as our best bets at SDE?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Jabari is big because it lets you slide Gamble to SDE. Without Jabari you probably start him with Gotsis.
Eric,
How is Stargel coming along? He was kinda thrust into being a 250 pound SDE, and he had some struggles. He looks like he has the frame to get up to 275-280. What are he and Rook at now, weight/shape wise?

After Snoddy, Days, Joe and Chamberlain's performance this season, I won't give up on a guy until he is gone.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@Eric, we seem to have Freeman, Whitehead and Simmons all on WDE. Is that right? Are we still looking at Stargel, Rook-Chungong, and maybe Gamble as our best bets at SDE?

Correct and Merriweather...we will throw Saint-Amour in that when he gets here.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Jabari is big because it lets you slide Gamble to SDE. Without Jabari you probably start him with Gotsis.
Eric,
How is Stargel coming along? He was kinda thrust into being a 250 pound SDE, and he had some struggles. He looks like he has the frame to get up to 275-280. What are he and Rook at now, weight/shape wise?

After Snoddy, Days, Joe and Chamberlain's performance this season, I won't give up on a guy until he is gone.

Stargel is out for the Spring and I haven't seen him lately...not sure where he's at weight wise.

Rod probably in the 250's.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hopefully our front four becomes a strength on Defense this year. If so watch out!

if it does, it may be a first in 4 my 40+ years as a GT fan. We had a good D line in '90 (of course) and the one under Tenuta a few years ago with Vance Walker, MJ, DM. and ??? was a great line (didn't they all at least draw a check from the big boy teams?). But (imo) to have the DL as the strength of the D would be a first in my lifetime. Hope it happens as I am all about new experiences though.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope Freeman makes a big jump. He needs to and we need him to. For a true frosh he had a pretty good impact. He made some plays. However, let's face it, he was nothing more than a bit of a bright spot on an otherwise unproductive DL. He had 4.5 sacks AND LED THE TEAM. Don't get me wrong, I have been singing his praises and I believe he will be really really good before he leaves here. I sincerely do. If truth be told, he should have RS last year and lived in the weight room. However, we couldn't afford to sit him because of depth issues. He was severely undersized and that wasn't really fair to him, but hey, the kid competed. Kudos to him.

Some are enthusiastic about the DL for 2015, while I am worried like crazy. Gotsis is most likely to improve a bit, just as he has every year since he showed up. I thought Gamble finally made a sizeable jump last year, especially at SDE against the run. He was still largely ineffective rushing the passer. We have to have JHD be eligible and as good as advertized for us to improve at all. I am not sure either will happen. I just don't know. I have to trust the reports, but it is hard for me to imagine him being that much better than Green. Let's assume he IS eligible and plays lights out. That still leaves us razor thin depth-wise. It is hard for me to be comfortable in that situation. We were so lucky with injuries last year on that side of the ball.

I can visualize Gamble at SDE during running downs and somebody coming in for passing downs (perhaps Whitehead) to give us a lift. Then having Freeman being a more physical player, with JHD and Gotsis on the inside. It has a chance to work, but lets not pretend that just breaking even with last year will be good enough. We were a pass rush away from being undefeated in 2014. I don't that to be the case again this year.

The rest of the guys really didn't add much in the way of quality depth. Perhaps Kallon will figure it out and the real athletic guys, like Merriweather and Simmons, will add weight too. Rook-Chungong did some things, but he needs to step it up too. I will be watching closely. Until I see it coming together, I will remain worried.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You got to be kidding about Freeman. He was a freshman all american. He played his *** off and was a big part of our 11 and 3 successful season. He will be even better this year. Our defense was actually pretty good as we got into the later part of the year.

Go Jackets!