First Year Coaching Grades

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Did we even try is my question. People forget that GT was viewed as one of the most attractive openings when CPJ stepped down, and TStan made it known that things would be different for the new coach...and as we're seeing, more money is being put into the program.
In what world was Tech considered one of the most attractive openings? Maybe for an option coach it would’ve been attractive, but not for anybody else. Who would want to put their career on the line to completely rebuild a program, that like mentioned above, is second tier? Kansas is a more attractive job than Tech currently. Coaching at Tech gives you no advantages relative to nearby schools. Smaller fan base, limited curriculum, worse conference, worse facilities, less money, and so on and so forth. The only “advantage” Tech has is being in Atlanta, but even that is a turn off for some. Maybe CGC can turn Tech around and be here for 25 years, but hopefully whenever he is gone, Tech will be an attractive job.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In what world was Tech considered one of the most attractive openings? Maybe for an option coach it would’ve been attractive, but not for anybody else. Who would want to put their career on the line to completely rebuild a program, that like mentioned above, is second tier? Kansas is a more attractive job than Tech currently. Coaching at Tech gives you no advantages relative to nearby schools. Smaller fan base, limited curriculum, worse conference, worse facilities, less money, and so on and so forth. The only “advantage” Tech has is being in Atlanta, but even that is a turn off for some. Maybe CGC can turn Tech around and be here for 25 years, but hopefully whenever he is gone, Tech will be an attractive job.

Go back to the Coaching search threads and all of the media touting GT as one of the better openings at that time. Get back to me after you did your research.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Go back to the Coaching search threads and all of the media touting GT as one of the better openings at that time. Get back to me after you did your research.
How many of those media outlets know anything about Tech’s actual situation. There’s media outlets in Atlanta that don’t even comprehend it. How many of those outlets know Tech offers <50 majors compared to other schools that offer 80+? How many know how little funding the athletic programs get? How many know that the Institute really doesn’t even care if GT sports are good or not?

Those media outlets only know that Tech is in Atlanta and is known for being a “smart school.” They think Tech can’t recruit because of the 3O and because it’s “hard.” They don’t know that there are no easy majors like turf management at Tech. The easiest major you can get is something like General Business. They point out schools like Stanford and Notre Dame being good even though they’re “smart.” I can guarantee any media outlet that said Tech was a great opening has no idea the of the actual challenges that a new HC would have to face.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How many of those media outlets know anything about Tech’s actual situation. There’s media outlets in Atlanta that don’t even comprehend it. How many of those outlets know Tech offers <50 majors compared to other schools that offer 80+? How many know how little funding the athletic programs get? How many know that the Institute really doesn’t even care if GT sports are good or not?

Those media outlets only know that Tech is in Atlanta and is known for being a “smart school.” They think Tech can’t recruit because of the 3O and because it’s “hard.” They don’t know that there are no easy majors like turf management at Tech. The easiest major you can get is something like General Business. They point out schools like Stanford and Notre Dame being good even though they’re “smart.” I can guarantee any media outlet that said Tech was a great opening has no idea the of the actual challenges that a new HC would have to face.

Geez man, do some research. All of our "limitations" were discussed, but they said most of it could be overcome with the right coach. Even then GT was still considered one of the top jobs at the time.

It looks like you have some issues with GT you need to come to terms with. It's OK, you're not the only on on GTSwarm with those issues. It's going to be OK....

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
In no galaxy is Kansas a better football program than Tech.
They aren't, which makes the Les Miles grade interesting because he got the same grade as Geoff Collins.

Strength of schedule in 2019: KU 6th, GT 50th
Avg Recruiting rank 2016-2019: KU 68th, GT 50th
Wins per year 2015-2018: KU 1.5, GT 6

Since we won the same number of games, essentially the writer was saying that transforming from an option offense to a more traditional offense is as tough of a job as taking a Kansas job with less talent, much less recent success, and a much harder schedule in a tougher conference. Seems a little preposterous to me but I guess its probably the best narrative we can currently have.

flygtfly

Georgia Tech Fan
His on field mistakes earn him a D IMO. He seemed to be disorganized at crucial times. I'd say we won 3 games despite his coaching ability he displayed this year.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
It's true no wants to believe it but it is a fact. Anyone who doesn't think so name one team that plays a team that when you play a top 5 team at home in a sellout only has 30 percent of the fans at the game.
There are a lot of teams that fit this description except for the fact that they almost never play top 5 teams, much less at home. You don't think Duke or Pitt would be heavily outnumbered at their own stadiums if they played UGA?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech is a second tier program for sure. And that's not an insult. Every school has limitations, except a select few everyone could name with thinking.

Tech has limitations and also some advantages. We're not on the same level with Alabama, Ohio State, USC, Texas. Nor should the expectation ever be that we would.

Ranking in P5 of the schools mentioned in this thread (2018 data):

upload_2019-12-6_14-32-25.png

(Regional talent is a function of the number of recruiting stars per capita in the state and surrounding states.)

Yes, Tech beats Kansas pretty much across the board, but not much to brag about.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It’s fair to curve him up to a C.

I will say there wasn’t one damn prof at GT that cared how hard you worked or how passionate you were about your studies. At the end of the day you either won or lost and that’s all that matters. Life is not full of trophies and certainly not pre-season trophies, unless of course you’re up the road and you have a trophy case full of pre-season self awarded championships by virtue of having the best roster.

True2GT

Georgia Tech Fan
Geoff got an F.

He’s the good student who missed assignments, studied the wrong things and earned a 59.

Rotating QBs? Clock mgmt? Silly penalties?

I think we give a C when he earned a F because we are too nice. Next year, let’s hope he is a C.
I'll give him an A+ if he can land a few studs on the d and o line in the next couple recruiting cycles. That will the be the program changer.