First Year Coaching Grades

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Geoff got an F.

He’s the good student who missed assignments, studied the wrong things and earned a 59.

Rotating QBs? Clock mgmt? Silly penalties?

I think we give a C when he earned a F because we are too nice. Next year, let’s hope he is a C.
Agreed. Everyone should be graded on the same basis just like in school, regardless of what advantages or disadvantages they came in with, and on that basis Geoff gets an F from me so far. If he can close out recruiting with a couple solid big DTs I'll bump him to a D-, but the coaching performance this season was unacceptable.

I'm giving him an F, but that doesn't mean he needs to be gone, but he does need to do better next season. My guess is he knew he was going to get an F this season when he was hired, and Stansbury did too. That's not the end of the world, but now that he knows what he's up against he better come more prepared next season or he'll be staring down another F and getting close to being shown the door.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Geoff got an F.

He’s the good student who missed assignments, studied the wrong things and earned a 59.

Rotating QBs? Clock mgmt? Silly penalties?

I think we give a C when he earned a F because we are too nice. Next year, let’s hope he is a C.
We're all entitled to our own opinions...I agree with the C grade, in largest part because I see a solid recruiting class coming in, and because he held this team together through a tough season, and if you actually listen to how the young men feel about him and his staff, it is awfully positive. Offsetting that are on field results so far...although we did slowly improve over the course of the year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like you confused by the question. This is a not graded on 2 gms but 12

I didn't misread the question at all.

An A is "exemplary" performance. A B is "above standard". A C is "standard". A D is "deficient". An F is "unsatisfactory".

Our society today is too afraid of providing feedback because we think it's going to hurt someone's feelings. I ran businesses. And no matter how much I told my boss, "We have recruited and upgraded talent, we have launched new products, we have a new strategy" … at the end of the year, "How much money did you make?". It wasn't … Oh,, except for this or except for that. It's a hard reality. The hope is that by being BLUNT and that 3-9 is totally UNSATISFACTORY, the program will continue to improve.

I see no purpose in giving everyone a pass because of "first year jitters". These are grown men.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not dragging CGC or anything, but did GT even speak with Satterfield? I was really high on him when CPJ announced his retirement.
It seems they talked to Collins and to an NFL coach/former Tech man. But in truth there weren't any name brands out there wanting the Tech job.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It seems they talked to Collins and to an NFL coach/former Tech man. But in truth there weren't any name brands out there wanting the Tech job.

I spoke to an Auburn coach this morning as its finals and asked him if he thought anyone would be interested in the Tech job.

No.

No resources. No fanbase. Limited curriculum.

He said Tech is a good, but second tier program. Most top coaches don’t want to get involved in rebuilds.

Take it for what it’s worth.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

2/3 are changeable but it wont be easy:

Fanbase can possibly be built with marketing and becoming the ATL's team. (But ATL is tough market with lots of competition). Maybe have more fun stuff to attract families?

Resources will improve if fanbase is built, if ACC network $$ is good, and if Collins/Stansbury can get The Hill behind the program a la how Stanford's admin is behind their program.

Lack of majors isnt going to change. However internships in the ATL is a stronv selling point. Perhaps partnerships with other universities would be possible to give some kids minors or something like that?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Coaches want minimal entrance requirements for recruiting and soft majors to keep them eligible. GT has lower standards for athletes but they still have to perform in the classroom.
As far as GC grade this past year I would give him a D. Too many gaffs during games. Passing but on warning. He would get a B+ so far in recruiting if they all sign.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Since they are grading Collins on a curve I am buying a 'C'.

While the record sucked butt, I believe a culture is being built that will in time be very successful. Recruiting if the class stays intact is a step up. Saw some new players emerge, and the team played hard. Both d and o figure to improve with experience and an injection of talent selected to match the schemes.

I actually like the schemes on O and D. I didnt mind the rotating QBs because we needed to find who the guy was going to be. Also we had to protect Grahm's confidence. Just need more horses and more time to coach em up.

Gameday coaching goes under the microscope when you lose re Saban vs Auburn. Not that worried about it, very fixable. Made many good second half adjustments, which is a good sign.

Still 3-9 with a loss to Citadel iwii, so therefore C on a curve if grades must be given.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I spoke to an Auburn coach this morning as its finals and asked him if he thought anyone would be interested in the Tech job.

No.

He said Tech is a good, but second tier program. Most top coaches don’t want to get involved in rebuilds.

It's true no wants to believe it but it is a fact. Anyone who doesn't think so name one team that plays a team that when you play a top 5 team at home in a sellout only has 30 percent of the fans at the game.

herb

Helluva Engineer
It's true no wants to believe it but it is a fact. Anyone who doesn't think so name one team that plays a team that when you play a top 5 team at home in a sellout only has 30 percent of the fans at the game.

Georgia-Notre Dame 2018 was pretty close. Maybe not 30% but it was more dwag fans

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

No.

As many have said, A COMPLETE REBUILD. The previous coach was able to overcome many of those same issues until he got "tired", IMO. He had taken his idea as far as he could, and knew it. So CGC is basically starting with very, very little except his desire and ability to inspire and motivate. He has probably spent much of this year privately thinking " what the heck did I get myself into." If we look the same a year from now, then we can start worrying. Just my 2 cents.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Did we even try is my question. People forget that GT was viewed as one of the most attractive openings when CPJ stepped down, and TStan made it known that things would be different for the new coach...and as we're seeing, more money is being put into the program.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

No.

Actually. Not take it for what its worth. In the football world this is 100 percent true and spot on.

It is a second tier program with all those things above. It just is.

Does that mean we cant be better. No. But its one heck of an effort to turn this ship.

Personally i would rather coach at louisville or vt or whatever. But. Gt is better than bc cuse or even nc state. But its nothing near top tier

So. As a second tier program. Coming off an option scheme with lackluster linemen recruits the past 2-3 years. We won 3. Coulda won 5 easily. But coulda lost a couple too. Its a c. We are a second tied program folks. With bottom 80 linemen talent, walkons and freshman. Its hard to say f in that scenario to me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

No.

TBH, Dodd's decision to pull us out of the SEC is still having repurcussions to this day. Atlanta is heavily populated with SEC alums, and they show up to watch their teams play. One of my buddies that I go to GT games with is a 'Bama alum. If he isn't at Bobby Dodd on Saturdays, he's out of town watch 'Bama play.

Hate to say it, but no one cares if BC or Duke or Virginia or whatever ACC team is in town unless it's Clemson/FSU/VaTech...teams with strong football followings anyhow. Sports will always be about matchups, and that's why our best attended games will always be Clemson/UGA/VaTech. It's the same when we played Auburn or Notre Dame or Tennessee at the dome. Even sidewalk fans that aren't normally going to GT games would show up for a GT-Auburn/Tennessee/'Bama/Florida/UGA/etc game.

You can argue about whether GT would still be competitive in today's SEC (I would argue we would still do the same or better given recruit's favoring SEC schools), but it's hard to argue Bobby Dodd not having better attendence.