First Year Coaching Grades

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Seems kinda harsh on Les Miles. Kansas won 6 games in the three years before he got there combined. The rest seem fine. I would have Collins lower but then again I’m a lot more invested in his job performance. Satterfield should lose his A for getting blown out by Miami and Kentucky. Still a good coaching job though.

Jolly Good Fellow

GATECH

Geoff Collins 3-9 Collins gets graded on a curve since he's transitioning from the triple option. That win over Miami was a good sign. C

I agree with this. Solid C but showing signs of promise. Can't really give an A/B grade to season with a FCS loss.

"...Can't really give an A/B grade to season with a FCS loss...."

I am about to vomit.... I'm giving Geoff a delay-of-game-penalty-after-the-opening-kick-off-in-10th-game-of-season kind of D grade.... and I hope he gets-better-because-he's-our-coach-kind--of-D-who-really-deserves-an-F.... HE LOST TO THE CITADEL WHO LOST TO ELON.... Him..Geoff Collins..he lost to the Citadel...

You "can't give him an A/B"...?

Geoff may grow into Bobby Dodd but this season was a coaching disaster of Chernobyl proportions...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
"...Can't really give an A/B grade to season with a FCS loss...."

I am about to vomit.... I'm giving Geoff a delay-of-game-penalty-after-the-opening-kick-off-in-10th-game-of-season kind of D grade.... and I hope he gets-better-because-he's-our-coach-kind--of-D-who-really-deserves-an-F.... HE LOST TO THE CITADEL WHO LOST TO ELON.... Him..Geoff Collins..he lost to the Citadel...

You "can't give him an A/B"...?

Geoff may grow into Bobby Dodd but this season was a coaching disaster of Chernobyl proportions...

Seriously, it will be ok...

img_1433.jpg

jrgray

Georgia Tech Fan
I’d say C is fair. The Citadel loss still irks me because of all of the penalties on “money down” that kept them on the field. That’s not transition or recruiting, that’s coaching — especially after the first one when you have to calm your team down. But hanging with UVA, the second best team in the conference, and beating N.C. State offsets that for me.

Jolly Good Fellow
LOL...thanks, AJ, for hitting me with the gay-est character in movie-dom... THIS deserves an A/B grade...taking a time-out at the Clemson 2 on third and goal then running some BS trick play.... F-minus...graded on the curve F-minus...etc....

...more worthy of SNL's Jon Lovitz's Master Thespian character..
"ACTING!!!"

Can we not admit that Geoff did not have an "A/B" year in-game coaching? He's our guy and I hope he gets better...at $2million/yr....

I love the Yellow Jackets...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I give Geoff a D. A solid D, but a D. We could have been better on O if he had been willing to run a true multiple, a la Wisconsin. All the pieces were there. He decided instead to audition players for next year. I don't want to say that, but that's the only reason I can see for not adjusting his O to the players who were coming back. And that cost us at least 2 wins, maybe more. I hope to see better coaching overall and better in-game coaching next year, though, given the schedule, I doubt it'll help.

Imho, the big thing we need to look for in the off-season is what we do about scheduling in the near future. We need to start scheduling to win and I mean right now. It worked for Johnny Vaught, it can work for Geoff.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Stech, please rethink this. You grade a first year head coach after his first year not his second. Humor intended...
Take a look at the post. There were several coaches who had exemplary records this year (I'm not counting Ryan Day, of course). You compare results and Geoff got a free ride from the raters.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I would wait and grade a first year head coach after their first real recruiting season.
What if CGC had won 8 games? Would you give him an A+? I would. But that requires that you grade him no matter what. I'm good with a C. We lost two winnable games - maybe three. I understand all the constraints but those constraints make coaching decisions even more important and CGC frankly lost at least two games just over game management. Ross, O'Leary and Johnson were masters of the clock and of the flow of the game. CGC for as good as he is in other areas has a lot to learn about managing those precious 60 minutes. I think he's up for it but we are going to lose a few next year for the exact same reason.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
First year means little when your priority is building for the future.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk