Fire Paul johnson for Taking Tobais Oliver out of the game

GTFLETCH

Banned
FACTS: ABACKs fumble in 2017 and we lose Chick Fil A Game.... ABACK Fumbles in Tampa and we lose game.... Our Best ABACK is playing QB....

FACT: Tobias Oliver helped the Jackets turn a 21-17 halftime deficit into a 38-28 early-fourth quarter lead.

I wonder if we should put our best ABACK back at ABACK start Marshall & Lynch ( Cottrell & Searcy backup) and Turn Tobias Loose and let James Graham be the Back Up... We won 5 games last year with our best ABack at QB, I surely do not want to watch the Yellow Jackets win 5, or 6 games.... After this loss we are looking at going 2-2 OOC (win against FCS and Bowling Green and Losses to USF & UGag) 4-4 ACC (wins vs Pitt, UVA, UNC, Louisville and losses to Duke, Clemson, VT & Miami) If we are only going to win 5 or 6 games why not turn Tobias loose??

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Any of you would rather see GT lose the rest of the games this season as a means to get CPJ fired? Or put another way, would any of you be angry if we won the rest of our games because that would mean CPJ would get another extension? I'll hang up and listen.
I was waiting for that question. Knew somebody would ask it. Im posting on a GT message board, not a CPJ message board.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
GT won 9 games and went to the ACCCG in 2006 with Chan Gailey
was that the year we beat uga and wake forest? remind me again. so i missed a year. sorry but im not gonna hang my hat on one 9 win season where we got embarrassed in the championship game.

"Georgia Tech went to bowl games each year under Gailey, and won two: the 2003 Humanitarian Bowl (a 52–10 win over the University of Tulsa), and the 2004 Champs Sports Bowl (a 51–14 victory over Syracuse University). Gailey compiled six winning seasons in six years at the helm. However, he never defeated Tech's biggest rival, the University of Georgia, never won the ACC, never went to a BCS bowl, never won more than nine games, and never finished in the top 25. The 2006 season was his most successful at Georgia Tech, winning the ACC Coastal Division, but losing his last three games to rival UGA, Wake Forest in the ACC Championship Game, and West Virginia in the Gator Bowl.[11]

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
FACTS: ABACKs fumble in 2017 and we lose Chick Fil A Game.... ABACK Fumbles in Tampa and we lose game.... Our Best ABACK is playing QB....

FACT: Tobias Oliver helped the Jackets turn a 21-17 halftime deficit into a 38-28 early-fourth quarter lead.

I wonder if we should put our best ABACK back at ABACK start Marshall & Lynch ( Cottrell & Searcy backup) and Turn Tobias Loose and let James Graham be the Back Up... We won 5 games last year with our best ABack at QB, I surely do not want to watch the Yellow Jackets win 5, or 6 games.... After this loss we are looking at going 2-2 OOC (win against FCS and Bowling Green and Losses to USF & UGag) 4-4 ACC (wins vs Pitt, UVA, UNC, Louisville and losses to Duke, Clemson, VT & Miami) If we are only going to win 5 or 6 games why not turn Tobias loose??
Aback is a lot more than running though and we really have no clue how good he is at the other stuff. Also Searcy is fine at Aback, I can’t remember him fumbling any other time. You want your best guy at Qb in this system at TM is that, I’d rather have him there then the 2nd best there.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you a simple question, do you think a bad coach can take a group of kids ranked in the 50’s in recruiting and do what he did in 2014? He didn’t magically forget how to coach. You are looking at things on the surface to fit your narrative instead of looking at the full picture.

I think we can both agree that there is a reason as to why those numbers you have listed are what they are. Is CPJ to blame? Sure, but not to the extent you make it out to be imo. I’m actually really curious as to how you think a coach can do as good as he did in 2008,2009,2011,2014, and 2016 with the recruits he had and yet be a bad coach. And before you say the guys in 2008 and 2009 were not his, do you not think it’s impressive to take a group of guys that played in college for a COMPLETELY different system and do what he did with them? That’s a trait of a good coach. I’m going with 8 wins or more in these years because when you recruit in the 50’s or take over a group of guys, that’s a pretty impressive number that not many coaches can keep up with from what I’ve seen.

Do y’all not understand that even with the bad and mediocre years that those 5 years catapult us into a bracket of success that not a ton of teams have achieved in the past decade? Y’all are quick to talk about the bad season, and compare them to other teams. Yet, when it comes to the very good seasons y’all either don’t talk about them or just neglect to compare them to other teams like y’all do the bad season. We need to compare the CPJ era as a whole at GT with what other schools are doing as a whole, and when you do that and stop just using the bad, you will actually see weve accomplished more than a lot of programs.

Now, lets go deeper than your comments of our record the past few years, because there is always a reason. These are facts btw, not assumptions. GT has been in the bottom of the ACC in funding, well, it’s actually been in the bottom half of all power 5 schools. We have only had 3 support staff members until this year, yes that’s right, THREE. Our locker room has not been updated since the early 2000’s until now, and we’ve been in Russell gear. We require calculus no matter what degree you want, and we have about half the degree options as other programs we compete against. Now, tell me how it’s the coaches fault?

I’ll give this analogy, which I’ve done more than once on here with not one reply, so please explain to me how this would be fair. Let’s say you run a store that sells TV’s and your store is about 5,000 SF, you have 3 employees, you only sell vizio, and some other smaller TV brands compared to Samsung, and LG etc. your boss comes to you and says he needs you to compete with the TV store across the street. That store sells every TV brand, is 15,000SF, and has 10 employees. Is that a fair thing for your boss to ask? Because this is essentially what it looks like some of y’all are asking. You don’t put everything into perspective, you only take a small sample size and run with it.

I’ve brought many of these point up before but for some reason they all get ignored, I wonder why that is? And I’m not here to fight, I know we all have our opinions, and that’s just what they are, opinions from both sides.
Wow, I thought I would have at least gotten 1 comment. I don’t blame anyone for not wanting to go against this brilliant post though lol.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
How many 9 and 11 win seasons did Gailey have again? How many Orange Bowls, How many ACC Championships? How many glorius wins over uga? Frick Gailey and these comparisons.

I agree with Frick Gailey. I'm glad he's gone. Doesn't change the facts about winning % though. How many bowl games did Gailey lose?

Any of you would rather see GT lose the rest of the games this season as a means to get CPJ fired? Or put another way, would any of you be angry if we won the rest of our games because that would mean CPJ would get another extension? I'll hang up and listen.

No. I want to see us win every game. The frustrating thing to me is I think Johnson is capable of it. I think he's letting his ego get in the way as he refuses to adjust his offense to adjust to the changing climate of college football. You can say the offense is putting up production but what is the opportunity cost on the effect on the defense? When is the "good production" not enough when we still lose games anyways? I think somewhere along the way he decided he wanted to prove the system he develop could work instead of continuing to develop it, which is what made him a great coach to begin with, as well as never really embraced the the notion of being a head coach. I think if he decided to he could do what is needed. I just don't have any faith that he will, because that may very well mean stepping away as an OC, being more of a HC, and deferring play calling duties and some of the offense designing to others. As far as another extension goes, I don't think he should get another half a mill raise for a one year bump no matter how good the season. Last time we did that he rewarded us with a 3 win season. He needs to prove consistency to get his next raise imo.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Frick Gailey. I'm glad he's gone. Doesn't change the facts about winning % though. How many bowl games did Gailey lose?

No. I want to see us win every game. The frustrating thing to me is I think Johnson is capable of it. I think he's letting his ego get in the way as he refuses to adjust his offense to adjust to the changing climate of college football. You can say the offense is putting up production but what is the opportunity cost on the effect on the defense? When is the "good production" not enough when we still lose games anyways? I think somewhere along the way he decided he wanted to prove the system he develop could work instead of continuing to develop it, which is what made him a great coach to begin with, as well as never really embraced the the notion of being a head coach. I think if he decided to he could do what is needed. I just don't have any faith that he will, because that may very well mean stepping away as an OC, being more of a HC, and deferring play calling duties and some of the offense designing to others. As far as another extension goes, I don't think he should get another half a mill raise for a one year bump no matter how good the season. Last time we did that he rewarded us with a 3 win season. He needs to prove consistency to get his next raise imo.
The offense is not the issue, and the issue of it affecting the D is just an assumption. Take away what we do on offense and we could be even worse. This offense is a talent equalizer, that’s why it’s so good. The issue goes way beyond CPJ imo, all you have to do is look at the resources.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The offense is not the issue, and the issue of it affecting the D is just an assumption. Take away what we do on offense and we could be even worse. This offense is a talent equalizer, that’s why it’s so good. The issue goes way beyond CPJ imo, all you have to do is look at the resources.

Ockham's razor. We're 10 years in and two constants are bad defense and Paul Johnson and his offense. Either it is the offense or it is Johnson. And because the two are pretty much inseparable, it is a moot distinction.

Anyways, the one area that people actually undersell Johnson is his ability to call offense. He isn't just limited to being a good triple option coach, and if he was actually dedicated to it he would have a good offense pretty much whatever system he ran. People rag on the diamond, but in a hastily thrown together package in the first game, we put up 38 points and nearly 500 yards on an eventual 10 win team. Paul's biggest strength is not just his knowledge of one specific offense, it's his understanding of the blocking schemes and adjustments, and we could have success with a different offense, mildly different or drastically different, even without changing coaches.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
They were a 1 win a year team before him. One. They averaged just a single win a year for the 4 years prior to his arrival. They are a 7 win team under him now. Schedule be damned, that is such a level of improvement that can't be ignored. Y'all are the ones that are acting ignorant of just what a ****y position that cutcliffe inherited to think just because we play clemson and UGA every year makes up the difference.

I don't have to talk about duke at all to smear PJ. He's missed two of the last 3 bowls, and finished 5th in the division the one year he made one. His winning % the last 6 years is worse than his predecessor's was in his 6 years here. We still have almost all the same problems we've had since he has been here. It's year 11 and out starting QB is a converted running back, our defense is still trash, our special teams looks about as bad as ever, and our coach continuously whines about everything around him, and has terrible media relations, which yes, is a part of his job.

Ok so if we could somehow replace Clemson with Wake and have Georgia replaced with North Carolina central, you don’t think we’d become a 7-win minimum team? Look, I’m not a fan of CPJ but this thread is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
I never claimed that he does more with less than anyone else. If Cutcliffe’s predecessor had an identical record to CPJ’s predecessor would he have improved on it? You may claim to know but you don’t so your argument is invalid. As I said the comparison is apples to oranges which is why your argument is nothing more than speculation. I would certainly agree that we are losing at times to teams just as Duke does. I don’t remember them winning a major bowl or beating anyone of the stature of the Dwag and Clemson teams we have beaten but who knows maybe they would have. Vent on as much as you want.

Do you think he’s trying to say that Cutcliffe is better because he took a 1 win team to 7 wins (7x multiple) and CPJ couldn’t take a 7 win team to 49 wins?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Do you think he’s trying to say that Cutcliffe is better because he took a 1 win team to 7 wins (7x multiple) and CPJ couldn’t take a 7 win team to 49 wins?

I think you are being deliberately obtuse. Some guys move the needle and change how the program is perceived in a positive way. We don't consider Duke to be a pushover anymore and in fact have lost 3 out of 4. Spurrier did at UF. Cremins at GT. Bowden at FSU. Beamer at VT. Heck, even Saban at Bama....they have historically been good but are winning NC's at an unprecedented rate. These are guys who have done something that many others before them could not accomplish. Because of this, no matter what my personal opinion is, I think it is obvious that he has accomplished great things there (on a relative scale). Do you count Duke as an automatic W this year?

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
I think you are being deliberately obtuse. Some guys move the needle and change how the program is perceived in a positive way. We don't consider Duke to be a pushover anymore and in fact have lost 3 out of 4. Spurrier did at UF. Cremins at GT. Bowden at FSU. Beamer at VT. Heck, even Saban at Bama....they have historically been good but are winning NC's at an unprecedented rate. These are guys who have done something that many others before them could not accomplish. Because of this, no matter what my personal opinion is, I think it is obvious that he has accomplished great things there (on a relative scale). Do you count Duke as an automatic W this year?

I don’t count many teams as automatic wins. Does Duke count us as an automatic win this year? I don’t think anyone outside of Clemson and Georgia do...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
With Cutcliffe, why do people ignore the fact that they dropped their academic standards for him?

Oh, y'all thought all these recruits suddenly going there was because of his winning smile?

Oh and are we to ignore the soft scheduling at Duke too?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Why isn't this obvious to all?!?!?!?

Because I do not know if it's true or not. Do you? As far as the schedule, I don't know if Duke is playing an easier schedule or not. I have to assume that they are playing the type of teams that they have always played but I don't worry about what happens at Duke so I am not going to look that up. All I know is what I see on the field. They are a better team since Cutcliffe showed up. I don't know how or why that can be misconstrued as an agenda except for people who believe in or look for conspiracy theories.