Fire Paul johnson for Taking Tobais Oliver out of the game

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Johnson's win percentage is almost exactly what Gailey's was while here. Cutcliffe's is over 4 times what his predecessor's was. Cutcliffe turned a team that hadn't gone to a single bowl game in 13 years and turned them into a perennial bowl team. Johnson took a team that had made 11 straight Bowls, and now has missed two in the last three years. There really isn't a debate who has done better at their school.

How many 9 and 11 win seasons did Gailey have again? How many Orange Bowls, How many ACC Championships? How many glorius wins over uga? Frick Gailey and these comparisons.

buzzn

Georgia Tech Fan
Tobias was in we we we're 3rd and 9... Personally, I am thankful the TM was able to get back in the game and completed the pass for a first down. I'm not confident TO would have.

Completely agree. Oliver was keeping the ball almost every play. He showed nothing that indicated he can throw the ball at this point. I was hopeful that Marshall could come back in to pass. He did and they converted third and long.

Out of all the critical takes you could have about CPJ after this game, this one seems to be pretty off the mark.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
how about this guys talking to our student athlete.. let him know!

I hope CPJ discourages them from following social media. Even if we were 2-0, there would be plenty of people doing trash like this. Unfortunately, it’s the world we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Completely agree. Oliver was keeping the ball almost every play. He showed nothing that indicated he can throw the ball at this point. I was hopeful that Marshall could come back in to pass. He did and they converted third and long.

Out of all the critical takes you could have about CPJ after this game, this one seems to be pretty off the mark.

TO’s high school passing stats look pretty good. I’m surprised coach didn’t let him throw.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
-duke is not as difficult as gt academic wise. id say cpj has done a pretty good job with graduation.
-id be willing to bet that duke had far more recruiting support staff than the 2-4 cpj has had in 11 seasons. this has been the first year of the expanded staff. id like to hope that it makes a YUGE difference. its hard enough to recruit to gt let alone do it with 2 people for so long. id like to see how our recruiting improves over the next few years.
- the success of the duke bb team surely allows extra funds to be available to duke that we cant match.

Animal02

Banned
No, they want to put all the blame of stuff that happens under him on him because he is the HC. There is an implicit understanding that we have issues with academics and finances. But to still having terrible pass blocking? Still having terrible defense? Terrible special teams? Poor media relations? To act like all of this is beyond the control of the head coach is just to be in denial.

After 4 years of averaging 7 wins a year, Johnson got a raise after one good year, 2014, that made him the third highest paid coach in the ACC at the time. Also, GT isn't nearly as far behind in spending as people want to believe. We are about 45th in spending which isn't great but it isn't bottom of the barrel like people act like, and there is also a good bit of improvement on how much we get for our investment as there are a lot of programs that do a better job of stretching the dollar further so to speak.

Nice attempt....not talking coaching salary....total spending per player.
We were next to last in the ACC.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

They were a 1 win a year team before him. One. They averaged just a single win a year for the 4 years prior to his arrival. They are a 7 win team under him now. Schedule be damned, that is such a level of improvement that can't be ignored. Y'all are the ones that are acting ignorant of just what a ****y position that cutcliffe inherited to think just because we play clemson and UGA every year makes up the difference.

I don't have to talk about duke at all to smear PJ. He's missed two of the last 3 bowls, and finished 5th in the division the one year he made one. His winning % the last 6 years is worse than his predecessor's was in his 6 years here. We still have almost all the same problems we've had since he has been here. It's year 11 and out starting QB is a converted running back, our defense is still trash, our special teams looks about as bad as ever, and our coach continuously whines about everything around him, and has terrible media relations, which yes, is a part of his job.

Let me ask you a simple question, do you think a bad coach can take a group of kids ranked in the 50’s in recruiting and do what he did in 2014? He didn’t magically forget how to coach. You are looking at things on the surface to fit your narrative instead of looking at the full picture.

I think we can both agree that there is a reason as to why those numbers you have listed are what they are. Is CPJ to blame? Sure, but not to the extent you make it out to be imo. I’m actually really curious as to how you think a coach can do as good as he did in 2008,2009,2011,2014, and 2016 with the recruits he had and yet be a bad coach. And before you say the guys in 2008 and 2009 were not his, do you not think it’s impressive to take a group of guys that played in college for a COMPLETELY different system and do what he did with them? That’s a trait of a good coach. I’m going with 8 wins or more in these years because when you recruit in the 50’s or take over a group of guys, that’s a pretty impressive number that not many coaches can keep up with from what I’ve seen.

Do y’all not understand that even with the bad and mediocre years that those 5 years catapult us into a bracket of success that not a ton of teams have achieved in the past decade? Y’all are quick to talk about the bad season, and compare them to other teams. Yet, when it comes to the very good seasons y’all either don’t talk about them or just neglect to compare them to other teams like y’all do the bad season. We need to compare the CPJ era as a whole at GT with what other schools are doing as a whole, and when you do that and stop just using the bad, you will actually see weve accomplished more than a lot of programs.

Now, lets go deeper than your comments of our record the past few years, because there is always a reason. These are facts btw, not assumptions. GT has been in the bottom of the ACC in funding, well, it’s actually been in the bottom half of all power 5 schools. We have only had 3 support staff members until this year, yes that’s right, THREE. Our locker room has not been updated since the early 2000’s until now, and we’ve been in Russell gear. We require calculus no matter what degree you want, and we have about half the degree options as other programs we compete against. Now, tell me how it’s the coaches fault?

I’ll give this analogy, which I’ve done more than once on here with not one reply, so please explain to me how this would be fair. Let’s say you run a store that sells TV’s and your store is about 5,000 SF, you have 3 employees, you only sell vizio, and some other smaller TV brands compared to Samsung, and LG etc. your boss comes to you and says he needs you to compete with the TV store across the street. That store sells every TV brand, is 15,000SF, and has 10 employees. Is that a fair thing for your boss to ask? Because this is essentially what it looks like some of y’all are asking. You don’t put everything into perspective, you only take a small sample size and run with it.

I’ve brought many of these point up before but for some reason they all get ignored, I wonder why that is? And I’m not here to fight, I know we all have our opinions, and that’s just what they are, opinions from both sides.

I agreed with the call to put TM back in when he did, but TM was still limping, and even though he didn't hurt us from then on (other than the interceptions, one of which was because his arm was hit), he still didn't perform like he did in the first half. But Oliver did have us rolling while he was in there. The reason IMO that he didn't even attempt a pass was because he was told not to, and for good reason. We won't know if he can pass until he is told to do so. He's not out there to make up his own plays.

buzzn

Georgia Tech Fan
TO’s high school passing stats look pretty good. I’m surprised coach didn’t let him throw.
I’m not. That’s a very difficult situation for your first meaningful college attempt. I’m very optimistic for Oliver’s passing long term, but late game, third and long, critical possession, with a likely blitz? That’s a big ask in my opinion.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I hope CPJ discourages them from following social media. Even if we were 2-0, there would be plenty of people doing trash like this. Unfortunately, it’s the world we live in.

Yup. Then cackling to their buds that they got a player to respond ... then beggin' his dad not to donate any more money to Tech. :sneaky:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Any of you would rather see GT lose the rest of the games this season as a means to get CPJ fired? Or put another way, would any of you be angry if we won the rest of our games because that would mean CPJ would get another extension? I'll hang up and listen.
I always want to see us win. If you don't you are not a fan but a hater more then a fan

Buzz*The*Plumber

Jolly Good Fellow
Any of you would rather see GT lose the rest of the games this season as a means to get CPJ fired? Or put another way, would any of you be angry if we won the rest of our games because that would mean CPJ would get another extension? I'll hang up and listen.
I would hope that people are reasonable enough to never wish a losing season upon our team and our players just so they can say "I told you so". I want Tech to win, and for our program to prosper, the right way-- if that's with CPJ, great. If things go a different way coaching-wise, it is what it is. But I would never pull for us to lose.

Personally, I hope we win the Coastal and knock off Clemson in the ACCCG, and CPJ finishes his remaining years here with a magical run.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

My greatest hope is that I get to see CPJ lift a MNC trophy at GT. Although I am a bit skeptical of him at times, I cannot imagine how anyone would want anything other than this for the man because if he succeeds, then the program has succeeded.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Ooooo just throw the red meat out here and run! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Actually I loved the hire when it was made. I soured on him once it became obvious that he wasn't interested in continuing to adapt his offense and was unable to field a competent defense.

One of those featured a core of players recruited by another staff, the talent level of which we haven't been able to duplicate in the years since. The second we backed into because of other teams not being eligible, while we were 6-6. Sorry 2012 is not a banner year even if we did sneak into the ACC CG. Yes 2014 was better than anything duke has done, also losing the ACC CG, and he's also had the worst season the very next year. Again, the major difference is that one coach inherited a perennial bowl team averaging 7 wins a year. The other inherited a perennial doormat who averaged 1 win a year. Yet both teams are at a similar place, and arguably Duke is better positioned for the future.
dude....didnt we have major academic issues because gailey treated them like pros instead kids....he went 0 fer ugag.... inc worst loss ever....and still never wonm more than 7 games