Fire Paul johnson for Taking Tobais Oliver out of the game

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Head to head record does not constitute doing more with less. There is so many more things to look at the CPJ has done WAY better than. It’s like you are just completely ignoring the things he has done that most other ACC teams have not, including Duke. But if you would rather have what duke has done under cuttcliffe compared to CPJ for GT then so be it.

Johnson inherited a much much better situation here than Cutcliffe at Duke. Duke was a 1 win a year team before Cutcliffe. GT was a 7 win a year team under Johnson. Once the teams were fully players they recruited and coached, Cutcliffe has been 46-34, Johnson has been 42-36. Yes, Johnson did better the first several years because he inherited a program 6 wins a year on average better and with much better pieces to work with.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Duke has had all those tough games with Clemson and Georgia every year as well;)

Johnson's win percentage is almost exactly what Gailey's was while here. Cutcliffe's is over 4 times what his predecessor's was. Cutcliffe turned a team that hadn't gone to a single bowl game in 13 years and turned them into a perennial bowl team. Johnson took a team that had made 11 straight Bowls, and now has missed two in the last three years. There really isn't a debate who has done better at their school.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Everything is on him. He is the coach. That is how leadership works. Good leaders take full ownership of their team. Bad leaders blame the team, blame external circumstances, blame expectations, etc.
Well good thing he hasn’t blamed the team. And I think you are missing the point. I’m sorry but a fumble or something like that is not on the coach. They aren’t the ones making or causing the fumble. Everything falls on the coach from a W and L stand point though.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Johnson's win percentage is almost exactly what Gailey's was while here. Cutcliffe's is over 4 times what his predecessor's was. Cutcliffe turned a team that hadn't gone to a single bowl game in 13 years and turned them into a perennial bowl team. Johnson took a team that had made 11 straight Bowls, and now has missed two in the last three years. There really isn't a debate who has done better at their school.
Of course that was not my point but your argument has problems since any comparison of apples to oranges has problems. If CPJ had gone to Duke with their lack of historical success do you think he wouldn’t also have greatly improved their performance such as he did at Navy? There are a ton of variables that neither of us know but I chose not to pontificate when I don’t know them. My point that he has not had to play Clemson and Georgia every year is a fact.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Of course that was not my point but your argument has problems since any comparison of apples to oranges has problems. If CPJ had gone to Duke with their lack of historical success do you think he wouldn’t also have greatly improved their performance such as he did at Navy? There are a ton of variables that neither of us know but I chose not to pontificate when I don’t know them. My point that he has not had to play Clemson and Georgia every year is a fact.

What is also a fact is that Johnson's winning % at GT is almost exactly what his predecessor's was, while Cutcliffe has greatly improved on what he inherited. The idea that Johnson does more with less than anyone else in the country is a fantasy. Also, we aren't just losing to the UGAs and Clemsons. We're losing the Tennessee's, USFs, and, well, Dukes.

Milwaukee

Banned
What is also a fact is that Johnson's winning % at GT is almost exactly what his predecessor's was, while Cutcliffe has greatly improved on what he inherited. The idea that Johnson does more with less than anyone else in the country is a fantasy. Also, we aren't just losing to the UGAs and Clemsons. We're losing the Tennessee's, USFs, and, well, Dukes.

Are you slow or just stubborn? Have you seen Duke's schedule? Cutcliffe has done an amazing job but stop being ignorant on purpose in order to smear PJ.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Are you slow or just stubborn? Have you seen Duke's schedule? Cutcliffe has done an amazing job but stop being ignorant on purpose in order to smear PJ.

They were a 1 win a year team before him. One. They averaged just a single win a year for the 4 years prior to his arrival. They are a 7 win team under him now. Schedule be damned, that is such a level of improvement that can't be ignored. Y'all are the ones that are acting ignorant of just what a ****y position that cutcliffe inherited to think just because we play clemson and UGA every year makes up the difference.

I don't have to talk about duke at all to smear PJ. He's missed two of the last 3 bowls, and finished 5th in the division the one year he made one. His winning % the last 6 years is worse than his predecessor's was in his 6 years here. We still have almost all the same problems we've had since he has been here. It's year 11 and out starting QB is a converted running back, our defense is still trash, our special teams looks about as bad as ever, and our coach continuously whines about everything around him, and has terrible media relations, which yes, is a part of his job.

Milwaukee

Banned
They were a 1 win a year team before him. One. They averaged just a single win a year for the 4 years prior to his arrival. They are a 7 win team under him now. Schedule be damned, that is such a level of improvement that can't be ignored. Y'all are the ones that are acting ignorant of just what a ****y position that cutcliffe inherited to think just because we play clemson and UGA every year makes up the difference.

I don't have to talk about duke at all to smear PJ. He's missed two of the last 3 bowls, and finished 5th in the division the one year he made one. His winning % the last 6 years is worse than his predecessor's was in his 6 years here. We still have almost all the same problems we've had since he has been here. It's year 11 and out starting QB is a converted running back, our defense is still trash, our special teams looks about as bad as ever, and our coach continuously whines about everything around him, and has terrible media relations, which yes, is a part of his job.

Ok. You're extremely smart, I was way off.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

And you've been whining since the day PJ got here, jeez

And Johnson has gone to 2 Orange Bowls and played in 3 ACCCG, Duke 1 and lost. And I will also say, Duke does not have to play Clemson and Georgia every year. Johnson also has a 3-2 record against Florida St. Duke has yet to beat them.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Johnson inherited a much much better situation here than Cutcliffe at Duke. Duke was a 1 win a year team before Cutcliffe. GT was a 7 win a year team under Johnson. Once the teams were fully players they recruited and coached, Cutcliffe has been 46-34, Johnson has been 42-36. Yes, Johnson did better the first several years because he inherited a program 6 wins a year on average better and with much better pieces to work with.
Cutcliffe has also been given more money to work with than CPJ. And if we look at recruiting they have been better (according to the recruiting services) and are you really going to use overall schedule? We play a WAY harder schedule. I guess it boils down to this for me, CPJ has taken his own players to an orange bowl and won with 11 games won that year. He’s also had more ACCCG appearances and bigger wins against teams like UGA, Clemson, FSU, and Miss state. These are all things that cutcliffe has not done and I’d take that anyday of the week compared to the success of Cutcliffe (which isn’t bad either)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And you've been whining since the day PJ got here, jeez

Actually I loved the hire when it was made. I soured on him once it became obvious that he wasn't interested in continuing to adapt his offense and was unable to field a competent defense.

And Johnson has gone to 2 Orange Bowls and played in 3 ACCCG, Duke 1 and lost. And I will also say, Duke does not have to play Clemson and Georgia every year. Johnson also has a 3-2 record against Florida St. Duke has yet to beat them.

One of those featured a core of players recruited by another staff, the talent level of which we haven't been able to duplicate in the years since. The second we backed into because of other teams not being eligible, while we were 6-6. Sorry 2012 is not a banner year even if we did sneak into the ACC CG. Yes 2014 was better than anything duke has done, also losing the ACC CG, and he's also had the worst season the very next year. Again, the major difference is that one coach inherited a perennial bowl team averaging 7 wins a year. The other inherited a perennial doormat who averaged 1 win a year. Yet both teams are at a similar place, and arguably Duke is better positioned for the future.

GT_EE78

Banned
The problem is Johnson and his offense put us in a bad situation for attracting other types of coaches. A high profile coordinator, or top tier mid major HC, doesn't want to come in and have his first HC job being at a P5 school having to transition from the offense we run to a more normal one unless we seriously overpay. We're going to have to bite the bullet though unless we just want to double down on this offense. Willie Fritz would be a great hire because one, he's had success everywhere he has been, and at Tulane he has turned a program that won 3 or fewer games 4 times in 5 years to one that was a hair away from a bowl in year two, and poised to go bowling in year 3. Furthermore, and most importantly, he has experience transitioning from the triple option offense with success as he did at GSU. At 58 he isn't likely to be the guy who would get us all the way to where we want, but fter Johnson we're going to need a transition period, and he's about as good a choice as we're going to get and would probably leave us in a more attractive position than we are now.
That's a very poor excuse for not moving on.Total baloney.A transfer QB and TE gets us started and a couple of good recruits at QB/TE is enough.There's no reason the remainder can't learn a new system. I may need a transition period after each 12 oz curl but these kids won't have any difficulty.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I never claimed that he does more with less than anyone else. If Cutcliffe’s predecessor had an identical record to CPJ’s predecessor would he have improved on it? You may claim to know but you don’t so your argument is invalid. As I said the comparison is apples to oranges which is why your argument is nothing more than speculation. I would certainly agree that we are losing at times to teams just as Duke does. I don’t remember them winning a major bowl or beating anyone of the stature of the Dwag and Clemson teams we have beaten but who knows maybe they would have. Vent on as much as you want.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If my research is correct, no Georgia Tech coach has ever had 4 losing seasons. However, 4 coaches have had 3 losing seasons.

Who are they?

Only 2 Georgia Tech coaches never had a losing season.

Who are they?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I’m not on the fire PJ bandwagon but if he is let go or retires this year or next, scrapping the option offense completely will kill this program. We aren’t in a position for a roster overhaul and going to a pro style set with TE’s. Georgia, Clemson and the rest are quickly separating themselves from us. Completely going another direction will put us a decade or more behind them. It’ll take 3/4 years just to have a competitive team if we go to another style. Plus we are being completely foolish to believe we are gonna land 4 and 5 Star kids if PJ is gone! Changes need to be made the Institution itself if we honestly want to be a legit 9/10 plus win football program. And we have no money! So.....

We shouldn’t be worrying about Clemson and Georgia. We should be focusing on the NC STATE of the world.

Animal02

Banned
Actually I loved the hire when it was made. I soured on him once it became obvious that he wasn't interested in continuing to adapt his offense and was unable to field a competent defense.

One of those featured a core of players recruited by another staff, the talent level of which we haven't been able to duplicate in the years since. The second we backed into because of other teams not being eligible, while we were 6-6. Sorry 2012 is not a banner year even if we did sneak into the ACC CG. Yes 2014 was better than anything duke has done, also losing the ACC CG, and he's also had the worst season the very next year. Again, the major difference is that one coach inherited a perennial bowl team averaging 7 wins a year. The other inherited a perennial doormat who averaged 1 win a year. Yet both teams are at a similar place, and arguably Duke is better positioned for the future.
During that same time period, Tech has dropped from just above average wrt spending on Football, to just about last in the ACC., yet everyone want to place all the blame on the HC.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
During that same time period, Tech has dropped from just above average wrt spending on Football, to just about last in the ACC., yet everyone want to place all the blame on the HC.

No, people want to place part of the blame on the HC while others refuse to find any fault with him.