Fire Paul johnson for Taking Tobais Oliver out of the game

Amerson1990

Banned
I don't think that is true. Leach, Venables, and Tee Martin would be my top picks of the top of my head. I think they all would be interested. Not really sure about Martin's offensive coaching ability but he sure can recruit and we need that more than anything at the moment. This would be Leach's best opportunity ever. No SE connections though, and he has some baggage so I'm sure the hill would veto him. Venables might be our best bet.

Ummmmmm, Venables just signed a 7 year deal for $2M+ a year. His son is a frosh on the team, He will never ever leave Clemson. He wants nothing to do with being a HC and is completely content acting like a clown on the sidelines in Tiger town.
If Venables wanted to be a HC then he would have bolted for UT or Arky last year when they both offered and rolled out the red carpet for him. He didn’t even bother to give either program the time of day

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ummmmmm, Venables just signed a 7 year deal for $2M+ a year. His son is a frosh on the team, He will never ever leave Clemson. He wants nothing to do with being a HC and is completely content acting like a clown on the sidelines in Tiger town.
If Venables wanted to be a HC then he would have bolted for UT or Arky last year when they both offered and rolled out the red carpet for him. He didn’t even bother to give either program the time of day

But, but, it'll be diff'rnt for us 'cause we're Tech.

/sarcasm off.

GT_EE78

Banned
Tommy Luginbill meet Donnie Davis. Ryan Stewart talked extensively on his radio show how BL divided the team due to picking the wrong QB.

We have found an uncanny way to lose games in the 4th. Tends to lean toward D miscues and turnovers.

The D miscues cost Roof his job. Fumbles happen sometimes BUT the bad INTs are on PJ but calling for him to be fired is crazy.

If you don't like PJ then pony up the $$ to buy him out and then dig deeper to buy another coach....and another $10 million for the facilities they will demand and their recruiting "consultants" like most of the SEC schools.
Yea but if i wanted to raise "$$ to buy him out and then dig deeper to buy another coach....and another $10 million for the facilities" then I'd be called an athletic director.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree, I’m racking my brain to think of how we will be able to hire a HC that’s not in the group 5 to come in a make a big splash, but I just don’t think it’s possible for GT to lure in a big name coach. We will have to go the experimental route and hire a Memphis, Tulane type coach.
Bahahaha yea, that's who Tech needs to go after to turn the program around. Willie ****ing Fritz from Tulane or Mike Norvell, who lost to Navy yesterday. Lmao.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
But, but, it'll be diff'rnt for us 'cause we're Tech.

/sarcasm off.
Tech Fans: "We need to win every game and get more big-time recruits than Georgia and Clemson."

Reason: "Ok, you need to raise money and lower academic standards."

Tech Fans: "Gasp." ***clutches pearls*** "We could never lower academic standards, and we pay enough to win."

Reason: ...***laughs heartily***

Tech Fans: "We could hire Willie Fritz! Or Lane Kiffin!"

Reason: ...***laughs harder***

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech Fans: "We need to win every game and get more big-time recruits than Georgia and Clemson."

Reason: "Ok, you need to raise money and lower academic standards."

Tech Fans: "Gasp." ***clutches pearls*** "We could never lower academic standards, and we pay enough to win."

Reason: ...***laughs heartily***

Tech Fans: "We could hire Willie Fritz! Or Lane Kiffin!"

Reason: ...***laughs harder***

Glad to see at least somebody else on this forum gets it. Thanks.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Bahahaha yea, that's who Tech needs to go after to turn the program around. Willie ****ing Fritz from Tulane or Mike Norvell, who lost to Navy yesterday. Lmao.

The problem is Johnson and his offense put us in a bad situation for attracting other types of coaches. A high profile coordinator, or top tier mid major HC, doesn't want to come in and have his first HC job being at a P5 school having to transition from the offense we run to a more normal one unless we seriously overpay. We're going to have to bite the bullet though unless we just want to double down on this offense. Willie Fritz would be a great hire because one, he's had success everywhere he has been, and at Tulane he has turned a program that won 3 or fewer games 4 times in 5 years to one that was a hair away from a bowl in year two, and poised to go bowling in year 3. Furthermore, and most importantly, he has experience transitioning from the triple option offense with success as he did at GSU. At 58 he isn't likely to be the guy who would get us all the way to where we want, but fter Johnson we're going to need a transition period, and he's about as good a choice as we're going to get and would probably leave us in a more attractive position than we are now.

Scubapro

Banned
Yea but if i wanted to raise "$$ to buy him out and then dig deeper to buy another coach....and another $10 million for the facilities" then I'd be called an athletic director.
True...I think they have some positions open on Glassdoor.... you could apply ;)

I hope our current AD doesn't make the same mistakes as Dave Braine(sp?)

Scubapro

Banned
The problem is Johnson and his offense put us in a bad situation for attracting other types of coaches. A high profile coordinator, or top tier mid major HC, doesn't want to come in and have his first HC job being at a P5 school having to transition from the offense we run to a more normal one unless we seriously overpay. We're going to have to bite the bullet though unless we just want to double down on this offense. Willie Fritz would be a great hire because one, he's had success everywhere he has been, and at Tulane he has turned a program that won 3 or fewer games 4 times in 5 years to one that was a hair away from a bowl in year two, and poised to go bowling in year 3. Furthermore, and most importantly, he has experience transitioning from the triple option offense with success as he did at GSU. At 58 he isn't likely to be the guy who would get us all the way to where we want, but fter Johnson we're going to need a transition period, and he's about as good a choice as we're going to get and would probably leave us in a more attractive position than we are now.

Be careful what you ask for...many folks were hoping for Tom O'Brian after Gailey.
Paul Johnson was successful everywhere before he got here...more so than the Fritz...did he forget how to coach

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Hilarious. I’m an idiot for laying out the facts and the state of our program of how we are stuck with a lame duck or we have to hire a scrub non power 5 Coach and hope it works out. Do you have any ingenious insight yourself of any other options ??
Here's some "ingenious insight" for both of you. We've lost one game; let's see how it plays out. Certainly, before anyone starts calling for Willie Fritz. Again, lmao.

Fritz took over Georgia Southern after Monken left, he did not conduct a miraculous turnaround at Southern. He's 9-15 at Tulane, but yea, they're "poised to go bowling" after their win over Nicholls State yesterday.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
IMO Nesbitt was much better in year two than year one. Tevin was probably better off because he got several full games of experience his first year. And it's just basic logic that players get better with experience vs sitting on the bench. If he loses his confidence then he shouldn't be the QB going forward and we'd be better off knowing that this year than finding it out next year. I doubt it will swing things by 3 wins because I don't think our D will be worth a damn and our philosophy on offense is still flawed, but IF our defense does make a big jump, then not having a first time starting QB could make a big difference. And, if we have a real QB battle next year then having seen TO in an actual starting role will be useful.

The thing is it is about potential. There is the potential that the experience this year will help down the road. TM is all about this year, and this year I don't think he provides us much more than TO. It's not entirely his fault, but he's a senior QB with only 3 years in the system. He only has one more year of experience as a QB here than TO anyways. But 3 years less eligibility. He probably gives us a slightly better chance to win this year, but it's a chance at what? A slightly better meaningless bowl?
i thought tm had the confidence issue not to. qb needs a bit of swagger to set TONE for team. missing that since jt. i support pj but he should have given to a chance to see if he a gamer or not. some players play better in games. this WAS the best game to test that theory wrt to. imo.

We’ve made the ACCCG more than any other team minus VT in the costal. No matter what, that’s more success than the other teams. We have also had 4 or 5 games with 8 or more wins. I’m sorry but Cuttcliff has not had the success from a total stand point as CPJ.
He's won more than other Dook coaches. He's beaten Paul 3 out of 4? You asked who has done more with less. Duke has zero history and recruit against uncheat, state, and us. Yet, they win at the same or slightly You're acting as if Paul Johnson invented football. Hell he's not all that. He's gotten us to what 3 conf champ games? That is g
If I can (and did) continue to contribute during the Curry years, the early Ross years, and the BL years, then your comment shows that you are a piss poor excuse for a fan.
No it proves he has better things to spend his money on other than out dated football coach that will not change anything except getting new DC's to **** on.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
He's won more than other Dook coaches. He's beaten Paul 3 out of 4? You asked who has done more with less. Duke has zero history and recruit against uncheat, state, and us. Yet, they win at the same or slightly You're acting as if Paul Johnson invented football. Hell he's not all that. He's gotten us to what 3 conf champ games? That is g

No it proves he has better things to spend his money on other than out dated football coach that will not change anything except getting new DC's to **** on.
Head to head record does not constitute doing more with less. There is so many more things to look at the CPJ has done WAY better than. It’s like you are just completely ignoring the things he has done that most other ACC teams have not, including Duke. But if you would rather have what duke has done under cuttcliffe compared to CPJ for GT then so be it.