Fire Paul johnson for Taking Tobais Oliver out of the game

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree, I’m racking my brain to think of how we will be able to hire a HC that’s not in the group 5 to come in a make a big splash, but I just don’t think it’s possible for GT to lure in a big name coach. We will have to go the experimental route and hire a Memphis, Tulane type coach.
I don't think that is true. Leach, Venables, and Tee Martin would be my top picks of the top of my head. I think they all would be interested. Not really sure about Martin's offensive coaching ability but he sure can recruit and we need that more than anything at the moment. This would be Leach's best opportunity ever. No SE connections though, and he has some baggage so I'm sure the hill would veto him. Venables might be our best bet.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You're probably right. We can't afford to fire him, and if we do who are we going to get? Unless it's an ace recruiter that has deep ties in GA and FL or Mike Leach, I'm not interested. Might as well ride this out, build up the facilities (weight room and Edge), get the acc network cash flow, and hope cpj retires in a couple years.
Wake Forest made a great hire and if you think we have recruiting problems then take a weekend trip to Winson Salem. Duke got Cutcliffe and Durham has to compete with Chapel Hill and Raleigh. Both Duke and WF are academic schools. It is possible to get a good coach but it ain't easy. Wake will probably lose their coach to a bigger program but Cut isn't leaving.
I would at least like to see some shotgun read options at times or something different (add a TE at times) to challenge defenses with different looks. Of course this doesn't help our woes on D or ST.

GT_EE78

Banned
PJ will get one more year regardless of what happens this year. Next year will be the year he has to really have a big year if this year we do not have a bowl eligible record. Tobias needs to show he can pass the ball. USF figured out he wasn't going to pass and we became less effective. Too bad LJ can't play this year as a backup that can actually pass.
And by then we'll have to give PJ another contract extension so it won't adversely affect his lackluster recruiting skills.Every other school also has to deal with the perpetual Hewittization of the game. I for one don't care to get "Channed again". When its time for buyouts and to get the duds contracts off the books thats just when the admin has to go fundraising and either step up or step out.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Listen guys this is ridiculous ... GT Football = if there is any chance for mistake it happens.
10 points up 12 minutes to go and we get out scored 21-0 ... WTF !!!!!
Todd Stansbury are you WATCHING, we need a new plan !
I thought after last season he would be gone, if not after this season i guess we just are not a competitive football team

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I hate saying the make to make the reference but we are treading on Paul Hewitt levels here with the state of the program and fan base. Both started off hot and were a breath of fresh air but everything started to fall off after the most successful seasons both programs had in over 15 years. My braking point with PH was 08/09 season with 2-14 in ACC play. It felt like he souls his souls to land Favors and we went back to irrelevance in 2011. I’m getting to that pint with PJ but I’m not convinced the school itself really gives a **** about our football program. We are at the point if we fire PJ or he decides to step down, the football program could head in the direction of the basketball program. (No, I’m Not bashing Pastner). We can not afford a knee jerk reaction to fire PJ because the wrong hire could ruin this program.

GT_EE78

Banned
I hate saying the make to make the reference but we are treading on Paul Hewitt levels here with the state of the program and fan base. Both started off hot and were a breath of fresh air but everything started to fall off after the most successful seasons both programs had in over 15 years. My braking point with PH was 08/09 season with 2-14 in ACC play. It felt like he souls his souls to land Favors and we went back to irrelevance in 2011. I’m getting to that pint with PJ but I’m not convinced the school itself really gives a **** about our football program. We are at the point if we fire PJ or he decides to step down, the football program could head in the direction of the basketball program. (No, I’m Not bashing Pastner). We can not afford a knee jerk reaction to fire PJ because the wrong hire could ruin this program.
soooo which was the knee jerk reaction, firing Hewitt or hiring Gregory?

Wake Forest made a great hire and if you think we have recruiting problems then take a weekend trip to Winson Salem. Duke got Cutcliffe and Durham has to compete with Chapel Hill and Raleigh. Both Duke and WF are academic schools. It is possible to get a good coach but it ain't easy. Wake will probably lose their coach to a bigger program but Cut isn't leaving.
I would at least like to see some shotgun read options at times or something different (add a TE at times) to challenge defenses with different looks. Of course this doesn't help our woes on D or ST.

So your premise is our offense is bad. We are leading the nation right now in Rushing. What out of our 600 yards and 38 points needs changing? Every Defense in America is challenged by our offense. That's why our opponents dedicate 30 percent of their practice to us.....and they still can't stop us.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Great way to lose the team. If your going to do that why not play only Freshman at every position with the hope in 3 or 4 years they will be better. Oh wait in 3 or 4 years we would have more Freshman play them over the others. A coach will play his best players regardless what year they are in that year. Getting someone experience is fine but you don't throw the season out the window to get them experience.

Bull ****. You aren't going to lose a team because you play a different QB and if certain players are more loyal to one QB than to the team then they shouldn't be here. TM is has the eligibility of a senior but the experience of a rs. soph. He has the downsides without many of the upsides, and when our team is clearly in rebuilding mode. The difference in the QB situation compared to others is one, the senior doesn't have the usual advantage that a senior would have over a freshman, and the QB position benefits more from real game time experience than any other position, so there is a higher benefit from playing TO there as opposed to say Carter at WR. Furthermore, unlike pretty much every other position, except probably center, you aren't going to sub QB out ever. For most other positions, a back up will get some experience just by virtue of the substitution patterns that generally happen, especially if they are at all close to the starter in ability.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So your premise is our offense is bad. We are leading the nation right now in Rushing. What out of our 600 yards and 38 points needs changing? Every Defense in America is challenged by our offense. That's why our opponents dedicate 30 percent of their practice to us.....and they still can't stop us.

I wish we could table this. I don't know anyone who doesn't believe our O isn't effective most of the time. The only legit complaint is that they have a nasty habit of disappearing in the 4th quarter when we could put teams away. I just think most of us kinda believe the other stuff like D and ST's are important as well. And they have been lousy for most of Coach's tenure here.

Scubapro

Banned
Bull ****. You aren't going to lose a team because you play a different QB and if certain players are more loyal to one QB than to the team then they shouldn't be here. .

Tommy Luginbill meet Donnie Davis. Ryan Stewart talked extensively on his radio show how BL divided the team due to picking the wrong QB.

We have found an uncanny way to lose games in the 4th. Tends to lean toward D miscues and turnovers.

The D miscues cost Roof his job. Fumbles happen sometimes BUT the bad INTs are on PJ but calling for him to be fired is crazy.

If you don't like PJ then pony up the $$ to buy him out and then dig deeper to buy another coach....and another $10 million for the facilities they will demand and their recruiting "consultants" like most of the SEC schools.