Fire Paul johnson for Taking Tobais Oliver out of the game

Animal02

Banned
IMO Nesbitt was much better in year two than year one. Tevin was probably better off because he got several full games of experience his first year. And it's just basic logic that players get better with experience vs sitting on the bench. If he loses his confidence then he shouldn't be the QB going forward and we'd be better off knowing that this year than finding it out next year. I doubt it will swing things by 3 wins because I don't think our D will be worth a damn and our philosophy on offense is still flawed, but IF our defense does make a big jump, then not having a first time starting QB could make a big difference. And, if we have a real QB battle next year then having seen TO in an actual starting role will be useful.

The thing is it is about potential. There is the potential that the experience this year will help down the road. TM is all about this year, and this year I don't think he provides us much more than TO. It's not entirely his fault, but he's a senior QB with only 3 years in the system. He only has one more year of experience as a QB here than TO anyways. But 3 years less eligibility. He probably gives us a slightly better chance to win this year, but it's a chance at what? A slightly better meaningless bowl?
Any coach that plays for "next year" over winning this year is a moron and should be fired. Any fans that think that is a good option can't be fired.....so they are stuck just being morons.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Any coach that plays for "next year" over winning this year is a moron and should be fired. Any fans that think that is a good option can't be fired.....so they are stuck just being morons.

Well the argument is that it ins't playing for next year over "winning" this year.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
He probably gives us a slightly better chance to win this year, but it's a chance at what? A slightly better meaningless bowl?

Probably, but I just don’t think CPJ can make that call when we’re 1-1, especially when today’s loss isn’t even on Taquon. If we’re 1-4 or 1-5 with Taquon struggling then by all means it’s a legitimate discussion to be had and at that point I’d likely be in favor of going to TO.

This isn’t the NFL though, a coach can lose his team by benching the senior captain in the hopes that it might pay off next year. Especially when Taquon didn’t cost us the game today.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
My first real memories were 95/96ish. I went to games before that but don’t remember much.

CPJ has over the past 3+ years is the worst coach I’ve seen on the Flats. Two losing seasons in three years is bad. Losing to MTSU at home is bad. Going 3-9 is really bad. Looking slow and weak against a G5 school is bad.
Take it from someone who is a lot older there have been worst.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
IMO the main reason to play TO over TM is that he is a freshmen rather than a senior, and that this year our best bet for success is having an OL that can dictate the game. Called plays and double options. TM might have a better grasp of the offense but he is only in his third year at QB and he isn't a master of the offense like you'd expect. With a better D and ST you could make the argument that having his poise and seniority will be the difference but after this game I don't see it. Play TO and use TM when you want to give TO a break or a step back to coach him and watch the game some. But play for the long term because the situation we have this year isn't conducive to winning big now. I know people will scream about doing whatever you can to win now, but we have to be smarter and play for big years when we can actually have them. The difference between winning 6 pt 7 is meaningless, but getting TO experience this year could be the difference between 7 and 10 next year if the D really does adjust like people think.
Great way to lose the team. If your going to do that why not play only Freshman at every position with the hope in 3 or 4 years they will be better. Oh wait in 3 or 4 years we would have more Freshman play them over the others. A coach will play his best players regardless what year they are in that year. Getting someone experience is fine but you don't throw the season out the window to get them experience. Unless your trying to get that coach fired . Oh ok now I understand why you said what you did.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol I love how everyone gets on here after one game bashin pj!!

Just in April, I told everyone on here that extending pj was an absolute terrible decision. Instead, I received multiple messages on here, telling me how I knew nothing about Gt football!! Y’all were proud to extend his contract after going 5-7!! Literally, we rewarded and praised a guy who severely underachieved!! That’s the looser mentality that’s surrounding this program!!

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to save my judgement for later in the season. We ALWAYS start every season slowly. Hell, PJ used to lose 1-2 games at southern most years, and then win the natty or go deep in the playoffs.

I've always been a PJ supporter. I'll continue to be unless we have another horrible season. Let it play out.

Last edited:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If I can (and did) continue to contribute during the Curry years, the early Ross years, and the BL years, then your comment shows that you are a piss poor excuse for a fan.

I hear you, but none of those coaches got to year ELEVEN.

And none of them (possible exception curry) would have had such an arrogant attitude.

CPJ is a bad representative for Ga Tech in dealing with the media.

He hurts GT as much, if not more, than he helps.

And none of that is any S/As fault.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I just received a reprimand from staff member John for inappropriate behavior on this thread. Does anyone here thing I have said anything offensive to or about any of you, or any player or coach? Yes, I have voiced disagreement with a couple of you for some things you have posted, but I certainly don't think I voiced it in any kind of inappropriate manner.

Quite frankly, your avatar is inappropriate to my battle, mentally & physically, of the waistline.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
PJ will get one more year regardless of what happens this year. Next year will be the year he has to really have a big year if this year we do not have a bowl eligible record. Tobias needs to show he can pass the ball. USF figured out he wasn't going to pass and we became less effective. Too bad LJ can't play this year as a backup that can actually pass.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Lol I love how everyone gets on here after one game bashin pj!!

Just in April, I told everyone on here that extending pj was an absolute terrible decision. Instead, I received multiple messages on here, telling me how I knew nothing about Gt football!! Y’all were proud to extend his contract after going 5-7!! Literally, we rewarded and praised a guy who severely underachieved!! That’s the looser mentality that’s surrounding this program!!

The reason we extended his contract was to help with recruiting. Recruits don’t want to go to schools where the HC may or may not be there when they arrive. So, we didn’t do it to reward CPJ. We did it to keep the program going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
There’s an awful lot of talk of firing going on in this board in the past 24 hrs.... it’s kind of ironic hearing from a fan-base who’s proven time and time again to be the least committed financially demand hiring changes when their expectations ain’t met week-in-week-out. But I’m sure most of y’all are those “big-time, behind-the-scenes” donors we always bring up all the time who make the real decisions, right? We can’t even fill up our own stadium for big games. Hell, Clemson and uga fans back most of our yearly budget in ticket sales just so they can go to a game in Atlanta every other year. And that’s a fact.

I get we’re all mad about yesterday, it was disappointing and shouldn’t have happened. That’s what happens when you play good teams. You win some and you lose some.

But some of y’all sound hella stupid with y'all's demands and expectations. Embarrassingly out of touch.

Amerson1990

Banned
CpJ will definitely be back next year even if we only win 3-4 games for two reasons:
1) $ - we don’t have the funds to fire and then hire a new guy
2) T Stan doesn’t have the Kahunas to do it. If he didn’t fire Danny Hall at the end of this dumpster fire season then he ain’t gonna fire CPJ. CDH is a lame duck that has been obselete for almost a decade and he’s still hanging around resting on his laurels, I feel the football program is headed for the same.

The really scary thing is when CPJ is finally gone, then who in the heck can we hire?? It will be a 3-4 process just trying to change systems and recruit to have a winning record again switching from the option to a different style. I feel we are headed to the dregs of ACC football and might not recover for quite some time, heck Duke has a much brighter future than we do right now

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m not on the fire PJ bandwagon but if he is let go or retires this year or next, scrapping the option offense completely will kill this program. We aren’t in a position for a roster overhaul and going to a pro style set with TE’s. Georgia, Clemson and the rest are quickly separating themselves from us. Completely going another direction will put us a decade or more behind them. It’ll take 3/4 years just to have a competitive team if we go to another style. Plus we are being completely foolish to believe we are gonna land 4 and 5 Star kids if PJ is gone! Changes need to be made the Institution itself if we honestly want to be a legit 9/10 plus win football program. And we have no money! So.....

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
CpJ will definitely be back next year even if we only win 3-4 games for two reasons:
2) T Stan doesn’t have the Kahunas to do it. If he didn’t fire Danny Hall at the end of this dumpster fire season then he ain’t gonna fire CPJ. CDH is a lame duck that has been obselete for almost a decade and he’s still hanging around resting on his laurels, I feel the football program is headed for the same.

The really scary thing is when CPJ is finally gone, then who in the heck can we hire?? It will be a 3-4 process just trying to change systems and recruit to have a winning record again switching from the option to a different style. I feel we are headed to the dregs of ACC football and might not recover for quite some time, heck Duke has a much brighter future than we do right now
I just read this after I posted the same thing. I agree with you. We are at a cross roads right now. The next coach will be the biggest hire for GT football in decades.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Take it from someone who is a lot older there have been worst.

I think the view of the Tech program is somewhat affected by ones age. For those 55 and up that remember 70’s and 80’s, those guys typically have a much dimmer view of the program than those under 40. Over the past 30 years we’ve seen a national championship, just had a near 20 year bowl streak snapped and have been to 2 Orange Bowls the last 10 years. Before the last 4 years you could have made the argument we were a top 25 program since the turn of the century. Unfortunately now I would have to argue to make us a top 40 program in that time.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck

You're probably right. We can't afford to fire him, and if we do who are we going to get? Unless it's an ace recruiter that has deep ties in GA and FL or Mike Leach, I'm not interested. Might as well ride this out, build up the facilities (weight room and Edge), get the acc network cash flow, and hope cpj retires in a couple years.

Amerson1990

Banned
I just read this after I posted the same thing. I agree with you. We are at a cross roads right now. The next coach will be the biggest hire for GT football in decades.

Agree, I’m racking my brain to think of how we will be able to hire a HC that’s not in the group 5 to come in a make a big splash, but I just don’t think it’s possible for GT to lure in a big name coach. We will have to go the experimental route and hire a Memphis, Tulane type coach.