Fatal shooting on GT campus?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I looked up all three in the student directory, and was surprised that at least one might be a student. The female looks like an actual employee of Georgia Tech.

Interestingly, the gatech lookup directory suddenly has a bot detector that was not present this morning...

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
It's unfortunate that such a respected university has to have this publicity bc "they" (that's how he or she requested he be referred to) decided to call the police to make a hit on him bc he had a death wish. Empathetic to all left behind to deal with this mess, but just smh.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
MyAJC article
Georgia Tech students rally around their campus and their police force
Among the comments on social media are these:
  • The protesters on campus right now are primarily NOT Tech students. I was there at the vigil and 20-30 outsiders with signs and drums showed up and started the riot. As they marched to the police station they set off fireworks. This was planned from the outside. Scout’s friends were advocating for changes to mental health policy on campus when the protesters showed up and started chanting about violence against police. Please let people & the media know that this is not us. This is not our community. We are still grieving.
  • While it may be difficult to delineate ourselves from the violent protesters, we can do an effective job of coming together as a community of students after a horrific event like this to show that we are united and have nothing but the utmost respect for our campus and brave police officers!
  • It sounds like there’s some real jerks making a mess. I’ll be out by 8:30am helping to clean up what I can. I hope everyone who disagrees that violence was appropriate tonight will join me.
  • Thinking of getting some donuts or something for the Georgia Tech Police Department.
  • Anyone want to wear blue tomorrow in honor of the Georgia Tech Police Department and their actions to keep us safe tonight?
  • I will be wearing GT apparel tomorrow in support of the school that I love so dearly, and I encourage you all to do the same. Outsiders who wish to threaten the safety of our students, our faculty, and our police officers have no place in our community.
  • By not believing for a second that the protests are Tech. We are Tech.

Milwaukee

Banned

giphy (30).gif

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Police are intentionally given leading "clues" about weapons including that the "person" may have a gun.

the "tool" that contained a knife, looks a lot like a butterfly knife. That can be manipulated very quickly from "closed" to "open". Anyone giving the police grief about this need to walk the beat for a while and get a clue. (mini rant over)

I feel sorrow for his family and friends. Obviously Scout had serious issues. He ultimately got his wish and unfortunately had to bring in others to have it happen. He has affected their lives forever.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't believe it matters. The student is an adult and, as far as I know, you cannot legally force someone into therapy. Even if the parents were suspicions that Scout was a threat to himself, Scout can deny that he has had any suicidal thoughts in the last two years. It's fairly easy to mask depression and often in the case of suicide people do not see the signs. I believe I read that was the case with Scout as friends and family said they felt Scout was fine. However, like most everything in this thread, it is all speculation. Without someone intimate to the situation (one of Scout's friends) able to correct our assumptions, then trying to lay blame becomes hazy.

Where is the speculation? Student caller 911, reported an armed drunk male and description of self. Then confronted cops while armed, refused to obey commands, and continuously tried to close the distance with officers. Also wrote 3 suicide letters. Unless it's fake news there is no speculation.

The family knew of the mental health issues, knew of at least one attempted suicide, and admitted today Tech officials were unaware of any of the above.

No speculation above.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know if the GBI said the knife was not open or is it the family's attorney who is saying that?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Where is the speculation? Student caller 911, reported an armed drunk male and description of self. Then confronted cops while armed, refused to obey commands, and continuously tried to close the distance with officers. Also wrote 3 suicide letters. Unless it's fake news there is no speculation.

The family knew of the mental health issues, knew of at least one attempted suicide, and admitted today Tech officials were unaware of any of the above.

No speculation above.
I don't think you understood where I was coming from in my post. It's clear cut that it was suicide by cop. The officer made the correct decision in that situation and Scout knew what he was doing. I am not arguing that. My post is that we are assuming the family knew he was suicidal as of a week ago. They knew he was 2 years ago, but people recover. Friends and family seemed to indicate that they thought Scout had recovered and wasn't showing suicidal tendencies. Provided that, we can't lay blame on the parents if they didn't feel a problem was present. Though if it's been made public that he was showing obvious signs, then I'd be fine conceding this point.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't think you understood where I was coming from in my post. It's clear cut that it was suicide by cop. The officer made the correct decision in that situation and Scout knew what he was doing. I am not arguing that. My post is that we are assuming the family knew he was suicidal as of a week ago. They knew he was 2 years ago, but people recover. Friends and family seemed to indicate that they thought Scout had recovered and wasn't showing suicidal tendencies. Provided that, we can't lay blame on the parents if they didn't feel a problem was present. Though if it's been made public that he was showing obvious signs, then I'd be fine conceding this point.
I'm not able to cite the article but I know I read that his father indicated that Scout had taken the summer off to "decompress" from the stress he was under. To me that would be an indication that there was a problem and the family was aware of it.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I'm not able to cite the article but I know I read that his father indicated that Scout had taken the summer off to "decompress" from the stress he was under. To me that would be an indication that there was a problem and the family was aware of it.
I wasn't aware of that and I'll take your word for it. That's definitely a good indicator that Scout was beginning to regress again. I was only skeptical at first because I've known several people who have battled depression over the years (it's unfortunately too common) and it's difficult to know how people are healing, if at all. While not uncommon for GT students to take breaks, it would have been wise for the parents to keep an eye on Scout's stress levels. But that's all in hindsight.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The mental health system is limited in their therapy techniques and rely heavily on medicine and couch talk instead of techniques to directly change the behavior. Furthermore, some mental illnesses like bipolar and schizophrenia can be very difficult to treat. Unfortunately, if someone is determined to commit suicide, it is hard to stop them. In this case, unfortunately, he had a cop do it for him.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There is an article dictating what a friend of the person shot said about him and the incident. A lot of this story reminds me that young people(and a lot of older people too) are far too idealistic in how they view force, reaction to force, and self defense. A person that I went to high school with was pulled over by a policeman when he was in college. It was nighttime. He got out of his car and walked toward the police car. He reached behind to pull out his wallet. The policeman yelled at him, and when he looked up the policeman had his gun drawn and pointed at him. When he told me the story, he said that the policeman shouldn't have pulled his gun until he saw a weapon and was certain that he was in danger. I told him that he was lucky to be alive and that if an officer waits until he sees the gun being presented to pull his gun out that he wouldn't have enough time to react.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fri...ut-gender-conforming-different-191136296.html

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
There was an article written by a friend of Scout's who says he had talked to other closer friends about depression/suicide recently, so someone close knew he was having problems. I'm sure that person is probably feeling pretty damn guilty themselves (even though it's obviously not their fault or responsibility to force someone to seek help) for not telling someone what they knew.

Deleted member 2897

There is an article dictating what a friend of the person shot said about him and the incident. A lot of this story reminds me that young people(and a lot of older people too) are far too idealistic in how they view force, reaction to force, and self defense. A person that I went to high school with was pulled over by a policeman when he was in college. It was nighttime. He got out of his car and walked toward the police car. He reached behind to pull out his wallet. The policeman yelled at him, and when he looked up the policeman had his gun drawn and pointed at him. When he told me the story, he said that the policeman shouldn't have pulled his gun until he saw a weapon and was certain that he was in danger. I told him that he was lucky to be alive and that if an officer waits until he sees the gun being presented to pull his gun out that he wouldn't have enough time to react.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fri...ut-gender-conforming-different-191136296.html

That may be one of the dumbest interviews I've ever read.

First of all, she (Scout's friend) complains the cops were just yelling to put down the weapon instead of playing psychologist and asking what's wrong. If someone can't understand basic commands to stop advancing towards cops and to put down a weapon, do you really think they're going to engage in a psychological treatment session? Furthermore, if you watch the video, the cops actually DID ask questions like that, saying "We don't want to hurt you." and "Alright, what are we doing here, what's going on." So her assumptions are silly, and they are incorrect based on the evidence.

Second, she wonders whether something would have been different had he not been trans. At one point she wonders out loud as to if he was specifically targeted for being the President of the local LGBTQ group. I guarantee you that none of the cops there that night knew he was not gender conforming, nor would they have cared. Furthermore, she talks about how weak and frail he is like he couldn't have possibly been a scary or threatening adversary. Well, it doesn't take much strength to pull a trigger or stab a knife, so that's an illogical position on that point. Furthermore, she implies normal guys are much more strong and fit - so how exactly would that have supported her argument that a more strong and fit person would have been less likely to get shot? It makes no sense.

Finally, the article refers to him as being intersex (implying he was born with characteristics of both genders). I just wonder why the parents, upon his birth, didn't have surgery for him while it was easiest and assign him a gender (either one, whichever was easiest). Leaving him with both is like making him a third world science experiment. I just simply cannot imagine how hard his life has been because of that and how much angst and pressure and uncomfortable situations and thoughts he's had over his life because of those decisions his parents made early on.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That may be one of the dumbest interviews I've ever read.

First of all, she (Scout's friend) complains the cops were just yelling to put down the weapon instead of playing psychologist and asking what's wrong. If someone can't understand basic commands to stop advancing towards cops and to put down a weapon, do you really think they're going to engage in a psychological treatment session? Furthermore, if you watch the video, the cops actually DID ask questions like that, saying "We don't want to hurt you." and "Alright, what are we doing here, what's going on." So her assumptions are silly, and they are incorrect based on the evidence.

I agree. That is the reason that I said that young people(in general) are far too idealistic in their thinking. In the story about my classmate, he thought that police shouldn't respond to a potential threat until they absolutely saw a weapon. In this article, she basically states that the police should have known that he was a gentle harmless person. Two points:

• I haven't seen anything that indicates any of the officers knew him or had any previous dealings with him. So they could not have known if he is gentle or aggressive.
  • Even supposed gentle and harmless people do very bad things. There are serial killers that many people thought were gentle and harmless. Bundy is one of those. Even after being caught, there were many people that didn't think he did any of the things he was accused of