Fatal shooting on GT campus?

Deleted member 2897

I am not, it may shock you to learn, actually named IEEEWreck, but you don't think twice about addressing me as such.

Were you to, say, refer to a divorced woman by her married name after being asked not to because you don't believe in divorce, you would rightly be considered a churl, and in polite company would invite any gentleman to effectively correct you. This is not different.
I agree with your overall points, but a couple points here that I have left quoted are just way off base. You're comparing an internet ID on a message board to someone's real life identity? If you told me that you were literally a non-human entity called an IEEEWreck and that I should treat you as such - well, I would just say you are insane and need to see a psychiatrist. Likewise, if I told you I was a howler monkey and you should communicate with me via grunts...I mean come on. Bad analogy. And someone who doesn't believe in divorce has nothing to do with the fact of does divorce exist or not. If someone 'doesn't believe in divorce' that means they would do anything and everything they could to avoid divorce. That doesn't mean they think divorce is a unicorn and physically doesn't exist. This argument is way off base and not dealing with reality. I am probably over-reading your points and maybe the illustrations just weren't that sharp, but they don't have the type of effect I'm sure you wanted.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Hmm, that's twice now my full, rather thought out message got eaten. Maybe the internet is telling me something.

To 'Cuse,

What you say is wise. I don't think people are being intentionally disrespectful here. If I did, there wouldn't be much point in trying to convince people to change. I say anything at all because I think this is a solid and good community filled with good people. I don't think I did the best job of conveying that.

I also don't mean any condemnation of NYPD officers. There's like 35,000 of them, and it's not appropriate to impute the problems of an institution to its members. Perfect example here: Most GT employees I've come in contact with a wonderful human beings. Ma Tech's favorite thing in the world is to shaft her students good and hard. Somehow both those things are true.

My point was that through policy or culture, NYPD, NOPD, and Ferguson Police have problems with the communities they police. GTPD has made huge and very successful efforts to win the support of the GT community. Actually, let me make these points because I don't think they're getting enough notice:

GTPD places a lot of power in the discretion of the officer when it comes to issuing citations or making arrests. Heck, their goal is to make most instances of drunk people in public not court matters. They also have a pretty wide latitude when it comes to what activities are acceptable for an officer to promote public safety. I know of plenty of times GTPD helped students get home at 3am or took people to the hospital because they needed help. Finally, GTPD has a very strong expectation that its officers will manage to deal with situations through communication and persuasion rather than violence. The officers in this very incident placed themselves in some danger repeatedly in order to try to talk Scout down.

I and all members of the GT community have an expectation based on experience that interactions I have with GTPD are more likely to help me than hurt me. That's not true in many places. GTPD sacrifices their personal safety occasionally to make it that way, and every day they give up opportunities for advancement and higher pay in other departments to be a part of ours.

The obscenity I wanted to identify is ignoring the effort and sacrifice GTPD makes while benefiting from it whether everyday where you live and work or even just on game/meet days. I did a poor job of elucidating that.

To RonJohn,
They is totally singular too. Has been as long as you has been both singular and plural: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/singular-nonbinary-they
Pretty much for exactly the reasons you listed.

To Whiskey Clear,
What can I say? I'll cop to it, I can be a bit of a pompous douche, especially about GT. All I can offer in my defense is that sometimes my ridiculous hyperbole can be amusing.
But you're exactly right and I don't like that I didn't make this clear: all I can claim is making an argument. You can listen or not as you choose.

I do try to save the ignore feature to people on the chat who manage to make me more miserable consistently while Tech is losing.

To bwelbo,
Yeah, in retrospect that wasn't my best moment, huh?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hmm, that's twice now my full, rather thought out message got eaten. Maybe the internet is telling me something.

To 'Cuse,

What you say is wise. I don't think people are being intentionally disrespectful here. If I did, there wouldn't be much point in trying to convince people to change. I say anything at all because I think this is a solid and good community filled with good people. I don't think I did the best job of conveying that.

I also don't mean any condemnation of NYPD officers. There's like 35,000 of them, and it's not appropriate to impute the problems of an institution to its members. Perfect example here: Most GT employees I've come in contact with a wonderful human beings. Ma Tech's favorite thing in the world is to shaft her students good and hard. Somehow both those things are true.

My point was that through policy or culture, NYPD, NOPD, and Ferguson Police have problems with the communities they police. GTPD has made huge and very successful efforts to win the support of the GT community. Actually, let me make these points because I don't think they're getting enough notice:

GTPD places a lot of power in the discretion of the officer when it comes to issuing citations or making arrests. Heck, their goal is to make most instances of drunk people in public not court matters. They also have a pretty wide latitude when it comes to what activities are acceptable for an officer to promote public safety. I know of plenty of times GTPD helped students get home at 3am or took people to the hospital because they needed help. Finally, GTPD has a very strong expectation that its officers will manage to deal with situations through communication and persuasion rather than violence. The officers in this very incident placed themselves in some danger repeatedly in order to try to talk Scout down.

I and all members of the GT community have an expectation based on experience that interactions I have with GTPD are more likely to help me than hurt me. That's not true in many places. GTPD sacrifices their personal safety occasionally to make it that way, and every day they give up opportunities for advancement and higher pay in other departments to be a part of ours.

The obscenity I wanted to identify is ignoring the effort and sacrifice GTPD makes while benefiting from it whether everyday where you live and work or even just on game/meet days. I did a poor job of elucidating that.

To RonJohn,
They is totally singular too. Has been as long as you has been both singular and plural: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/singular-nonbinary-they
Pretty much for exactly the reasons you listed.

To Whiskey Clear,
What can I say? I'll cop to it, I can be a bit of a pompous douche, especially about GT. All I can offer in my defense is that sometimes my ridiculous hyperbole can be amusing.
But you're exactly right and I don't like that I didn't make this clear: all I can claim is making an argument. You can listen or not as you choose.

I do try to save the ignore feature to people on the chat who manage to make me more miserable consistently while Tech is losing.

To bwelbo,
Yeah, in retrospect that wasn't my best moment, huh?

People who hold convictions strongly often "rub others the wrong way." That's certainly true for me as well. I for one value your input, even when I may disagree with it.