Fatal shooting on GT campus?

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I'm afraid the greater ATL "rioter" community will use the game as a protest venue...hopefully it will be peaceful.

Connor

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting that campus police don't carry tazers. They all seem to be very professional.

GTPD are highly regarded and well respected on campus. During my 4 years, GTPD has had great relationships with Greek Life and have been a great partner in the GT community.

Does GT continue to have Mental Health issues and could the situation have been handled differently knowing what we know now? Yes. This is just a terrible situation for all parties.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yes, I had wondered about a taser too in my post earlier today, but another said in that situation even if they had one it would not be procedure to use it with him advancing with a knife. A lot of GSP guys shoot at my range and I'm going to ask them next time we go shoot. I do know they are trained to usually shoot in the chest area.

Tasers don't always incapacitate subjects. Both taser probes have to penetrate to "close the circuit." And if the probes don't have sufficient "spread" they only incapacitate a small portion of the body....they only lock up the muscles between the two taser probes.

Even if the spread is good and it is effective...someone has to get hands on...and disarm and cuff the subject. Attempting to do so with a subject armed with a deadly weapon puts the officer "getting hands on" in lethal jeopardy.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Tasers don't always incapacitate subjects. Both taser probes have to penetrate to "close the circuit." And if the probes don't have sufficient "spread" they only incapacitate a small portion of the body....they only lock up the muscles between the two taser probes.

Even if the spread is good and it is effective...someone has to get hands on...and disarm and cuff the subject. Attempting to do so with a subject armed with a deadly weapon puts the officer "getting hands on" in lethal jeopardy.
Thanks for the clarification.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Exactly the type of information I refer to people needing to know. Maybe a mandatory class for high schools would be useful.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Have not noticed one post calling for prayers for the officer. A human being that is going to go through all sorts of hell (internal, external, from media, from commie scumbags). Sad.

Willing to bet that this person wanting to die had more than blood in their system.

If any action brought against this officer, I pray they bring at least 2times the claim against the parents & the school organizations that knew about previous suicide attempts and problems.

He and they had no right to bring this crap to our campus.

northgajacket

Banned
Campus is currently locked down. Protesters lit fire to a cop car. It was revealed earlier today that Scout was the one that called in to 911 that a person of their description had a knife and potentially had a gun which prompted the police response. Despite the clear evidence of it being suicide by cop, there's still people wanting to use the tragedy and Scout's death as a way to push ulterior goals. I highly doubt this is what Scout would have wanted.

That would involve listening and understanding the facts, sadly it seems that some people don't like to look at the facts and instead act on impulse.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
There was a peaceful candle light vigil tonight for the student turned riot when Antifa (Source https://i.imgur.com/GNHvupE.png ) decided to rear their ugly heads and start rioting and burnt a GT police car (Source )

It's a sad circumstance all around. Scout had no intention of coming home that night, had suicide notes in their dorm and previously called 911 to report a person with a knife (Source https://www.ajc.com/news/gbi-georgia-tech-student-called-911-before-shooting/WTH4NAGX30oJJEAEK98biN/ ) Prays and thoughts for Scout' friends and family, the GT community, and especially the GT police.

Sorry for the excessive linkage, but in a world where people like to report news based on their feelings on issues and call it fact I feel a need to source my claims. If anyone on here is feeling at the end of their rope feel free to message me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Now back to firmware updates.

Deleted member 2897

I put a great deal of responsibility in this on Scout's parents. They KNOW he has struggled with mental health issues a long time. They KNOW he tried to kill himself before. They KNOW he set up the cops to kill him. But yet here they are in the media filing a lawsuit and blaming the cops. Shame on them. Even in his death they are trying to help him shirk any responsibility for his own decisions.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Prayers for the entire Georgia Tech family, this especially includes Scout Shultz and his parents, and the officers involved. As fans we are also part of that family and it is a sad situation that we are all dealing with.

Suicide, whether by your own hand or by proxy, leaves a terrible emptiness in the hearts of the survivors. From my personal experience, it is easier to blame others than to acknowledge that you missed a sign or didn't act when maybe you could have made a difference. Sometimes, nothing can prevent what an individual is determined to do. It is a hopeless, helpless feeling to have as a survivor.

northgajacket

Banned
I put a great deal of responsibility in this on Scout's parents. They KNOW he has struggled with mental health issues a long time. They KNOW he tried to kill himself before. They KNOW he set up the cops to kill him. But yet here they are in the media filing a lawsuit and blaming the cops. Shame on them. Even in his death they are trying to help him shirk any responsibility for his own decisions.

I think this a case of the parents refusing to see that their child has problems.

northgajacket

Banned
GTPD needs to roll in some paddy wagons and send the protesters to go spend some quality time with Bruno
1w55bv.jpg

and this would be my advice to said protesters once they got arrested.

Deleted member 2897

This video wraps up my thoughts and puts a nice big bow on it. I really feel badly for the family, but this whole press conference is just an ignorant charade. What weapon he actually had on him is of no consequence - he called the cops (on himself) saying he had a knife and a gun. Are they supposed to just assume the call was a complete lie? Why would they come to such a conclusion? I have watched the video a few times - they tried all they could to calm him down and get him to stop. But when someone with a knife and gun comes at you and ignores repeated commands, you can't just turn and run away. He could be a threat to the rest of campus - this could have easily been one of those nutcases that shoots up a campus. He could have been on heroin or PCP. If the cops had backed away and backed away and then he turned and ran and started shooting people, then where would we be? These parents are NOT helping. They've readily said Scout had problems with depression and had tried to kill himself before, yet here they are. The anti-cop comments at the end are pretty ridiculous too. The sheer amount of ignorance in this press conference by all parties is sad.

northgajacket

Banned
This video wraps up my thoughts and puts a nice big bow on it. I really feel badly for the family, but this whole press conference is just an ignorant charade. What weapon he actually had on him is of no consequence - he called the cops (on himself) saying he had a knife and a gun. Are they supposed to just assume the call was a complete lie? Why would they come to such a conclusion? I have watched the video a few times - they tried all they could to calm him down and get him to stop. But when someone with a knife and gun comes at you and ignores repeated commands, you can't just turn and run away. He could be a threat to the rest of campus - this could have easily been one of those nutcases that shoots up a campus. He could have been on heroin or PCP. If the cops had backed away and backed away and then he turned and ran and started shooting people, then where would we be? These parents are NOT helping. They've readily said Scout had problems with depression and had tried to kill himself before, yet here they are. The anti-cop comments at the end are pretty ridiculous too. The sheer amount of ignorance in this press conference by all parties is sad.

Sounds like they maybe enablers.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, GT counseling is notoriously bad about seeing students. They're aware of it as well. Even if Scout had requested to see someone to help treat their depression, there's no guarantee that they would have availability for them. That being said, I've heard that saying you're suicidal gets you immediate help, but considering this was 2 years after Scout's last suicide attempt I would assume they didn't want to be talked down from it this time.

northgajacket

Banned
For what it's worth, GT counseling is notoriously bad about seeing students. They're aware of it as well. Even if Scout had requested to see someone to help treat their depression, there's no guarantee that they would have availability for them. That being said, I've heard that saying you're suicidal gets you immediate help, but considering this was 2 years after Scout's last suicide attempt I would assume they didn't want to be talked down from it this time.

I think you can sadly say that about most universities.