Fatal shooting on GT campus?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So sad.
Just a few things done a little differently over the past and during the event and so great a change in outcomes.

Deleted member 2897

It was pretty apparent initially, and without a doubt now, an incident of suicide by cop. I hate it for the kid and the family. Prayers for them.

Yep, that is just so awful. I can't imagine getting to the point that you think your life is worth nothing. I hate it for him, his family, his friends, and the officers.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Campus is currently locked down. Protesters lit fire to a cop car. It was revealed earlier today that Scout was the one that called in to 911 that a person of their description had a knife and potentially had a gun which prompted the police response. Despite the clear evidence of it being suicide by cop, there's still people wanting to use the tragedy and Scout's death as a way to push ulterior goals. I highly doubt this is what Scout would have wanted.

At some point in time the police have to be respected. He had a visible weapon and continued to threaten and ignore police commands. When you are told to stop, damn stop. The police can legally kill you. Death to some may seem real until it happens. There is nothing more permanent than death. Except in Lazarus's case. The segment of our society that thinks the laws and having to obey them doesn't include them are in for a rude awakening for the next 8 years. The only one to blame is the guy that apparently had a death wish and carried it out. He is not a hero, but a coward finding an easy way out of his f'd up life. Big a boy and deal with your problems and issues.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The level of intelligence shown in people is downright depressing.
a) how many times in the history of America has any sort of violent protest ever produced the desired outcome
b) why on earth do people protest something without sitting down and rationally think about what exactly happened and why. A person basically committed suicide. Don't blame the cop.
c) if you have an issue with standard operating procedure for police, why don't you educate yourself on why exactly that is their procedure and if there is a better way then feel free to discuss it.
d) point a again
e) point d again
f) point e again

There are plenty of things to disagree with when in comes to the police. This is not one of them and even if it was quit lightning **** on fire.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The level of intelligence shown in people is downright depressing.
a) how many times in the history of America has any sort of violent protest ever produced the desired outcome
b) why on earth do people protest something without sitting down and rationally think about what exactly happened and why. A person basically committed suicide. Don't blame the cop.
c) if you have an issue with standard operating procedure for police, why don't you educate yourself on why exactly that is their procedure and if there is a better way then feel free to discuss it.
d) point a again
e) point d again
f) point e again

There are plenty of things to disagree with when in comes to the police. This is not one of them and even if it was quit lightning **** on fire.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that are just ******* morons and look for an excuse to go beserk. I wish people were more rational.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I almost feel like an entirely lesson on police procedures explaining why things are done in certain ways needs to air on national television for everyone in the country to watch and educate themselves. Then they can go about protesting when the police don't follow those procedures correctly. Of course people will not watch and still light **** on fire as well as watch with a predetermined mindset of "F you, your wrong" and go light **** on fire.

Not trying to be all pro everything the cops do is correct here and I certainly acknowledge there are prejudices going on that are wrong and need to be corrected but there are also plenty of instances where something happens where some racial/gender/LGBTQ hate is used as the excuse when it wasn't the reason at all. **** falls both ways. Use some damn logic.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just as long as they don't bring that leftist riot crap up the hill to the Rv lot this weekend...

The Georgia Supreme Court has ruled your vehicle is an extension of your home...thus extending 2nd amendment rights to you in your vehicle. Just don't step out of the vehicle with the weapon on you while on campus.

And of course avoiding violence whenever possible is always the best strategy.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I hope this riot crap doesn't interfere with the game this weekend...tragic situation, but the individual had a death wish and had a cop carry it out for him...now the campus has to deal with the after effects of this. I wish there could have been a better ending, but I'm not sure what the cop could have done different other than try to shoot him in the leg, which they are not trained to do.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The Georgia Supreme Court has ruled your vehicle is an extension of your home...thus extending 2nd amendment rights to you in your vehicle. Just don't step out of the vehicle with the weapon on you while on campus.

And of course avoiding violence whenever possible is always the best strategy.[/QUOTE

Let just hope they are not around this weekend.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope this riot crap doesn't interfere with the game this weekend...tragic situation, but the individual had a death wish and had a cop carry it out for him...now the campus has to deal with the after effects of this. I wish there could have been a better ending, but I'm not sure what the cop could have done different other than try to shoot him in the leg, which they are not trained to do.
Interesting that campus police don't carry tazers. They all seem to be very professional.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that campus police don't carry tazers. They all seem to be very professional.
Yes, I had wondered about a taser too in my post earlier today, but another said in that situation even if they had one it would not be procedure to use it with him advancing with a knife. A lot of GSP guys shoot at my range and I'm going to ask them next time we go shoot. I do know they are trained to usually shoot in the chest area.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Yes a bit surprising. Most departments are trying to issue every officer a taser. They are very good "less lethal" tools of law enforcement.

Their use in this instance would not have been wise imo due to the way they work. Pepper spray would have been a better alternative than taser for this incident imo but even then, even if it blinded the subject, it wouldn't cause him to drop the knife necessarily. Blind man swinging a knife blindly can be deadly. And pepper spray also isn't always effective.