Fans deserve a real playoff

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, I agree with you in being in favor of a championship, but I think this here is the deal:
The CFP is still more an evolution from the polls than an evolution toward a championship. The goal is to resolve polling ambiguity not a playoff toward a championship in which the conference championships matter.

Tifwiw.
I think you are right.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I agree with you in being in favor of a championship, but I think this here is the deal:
The CFP is still more an evolution from the polls than an evolution toward a championship. The goal is to resolve polling ambiguity not a playoff toward a championship in which the conference championships matter.

Tifwiw.
So I always thought conference championships should be thought of as first round of the playoffs. So with power 5 that makes 10. Everyone who wants an 8 team playoff wants 3 at large. I think we should take top 6 not in championships and have them play each other as a play in. Thus making it technically a 16 team tourney. Also, that means teams (like OSU) would not get a free pass into the playoff for getting to skip out on their championship. They would still have to play in to the elite 8.

I think this is a good solution, but I've personally always wanted the 10 conference champs get a bye, then the top 6 after that (but other people seems to hate that).

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
At my place of work literally everybody who I have spoken with believes the committee got it right between OSU and PSU. I just can't let this go. They played in the same division and PSU WON THE DIVISION after beating OSU head to head. Additionally, PSU went on to win the conference which is the highest rated in the country. What am I missing? I am convinced it is all about media and putting butts in front of the TV. Obviously, most observers are buying what the committee is selling. I just don't get it. If Kirk Herbie keeps chatting up his team, that will be the one people want to see I guess. Don't get me wrong, I think OSU is a great team, probably even better than PSU, but what does it matter what I think? There are concrete results to go by.
This is the unfortunate truth. The same reason we have conference championship games that don't really matter. The same reason we have so many bowls that 5-7 Miss St is going bowling. The same reason we are forced to sit through so many dang TV timeouts at BDS for a game against Mercer. The same reason NASCAR keeps tweaking their formula... It's all about creating interest and selling air time. And when this system loses its shine, they will tweak it. Even the debate about the problems with the system creates media demand. Jeez I didn't realize how much all this bothered me. Sorry for the rant. I'm just sick of the ESPN effect.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It's a disgrace and everyone who thinks OSU should be in over PSU is wrong. Argue Oklahoma over PSU if you really want but by no means should OSU even sniff the playoffs over PSU. I don't care if OSU blows out everyone and wins it all. They don't belong there over PSU. Period.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
At my place of work literally everybody who I have spoken with believes the committee got it right between OSU and PSU. I just can't let this go. They played in the same division and PSU WON THE DIVISION after beating OSU head to head. Additionally, PSU went on to win the conference which is the highest rated in the country. What am I missing? I am convinced it is all about media and putting butts in front of the TV. Obviously, most observers are buying what the committee is selling. I just don't get it. If Kirk Herbie keeps chatting up his team, that will be the one people want to see I guess. Don't get me wrong, I think OSU is a great team, probably even better than PSU, but what does it matter what I think? There are concrete results to go by.
I heard Eddie George on Sirius a couple of weeks ago and he essentially agreed with what you said. If you disregard the on-field results, that means the games don't matter, which makes no sense. I think if you switched the jerseys (meaning OSU had PSU's resume) no way they get left out.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
So I always thought conference championships should be thought of as first round of the playoffs. So with power 5 that makes 10. Everyone who wants an 8 team playoff wants 3 at large. I think we should take top 6 not in championships and have them play each other as a play in. Thus making it technically a 16 team tourney. Also, that means teams (like OSU) would not get a free pass into the playoff for getting to skip out on their championship. They would still have to play in to the elite 8.

I think this is a good solution, but I've personally always wanted the 10 conference champs get a bye, then the top 6 after that (but other people seems to hate that).

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's a thought: imagine Clemson beats Ohio State and Washington beats Bama, to get to a Clemson vs Washington national championship game. Agreed that the odds are not in favor of that, but would be interesting to see how the media would respond!

I'd expect the media to respond in a similar way as it did for our win over the dogs. Less about how well Washington/Clemson played and more about how Bama/OSU messed up. Because the only way that we beat the dogs or Bama/OSU loses is if they play a poor game. It has nothing to do with how well Washington or Clemson plays. It's their's to lose, not UW or CU's to win...