Fans deserve a real playoff

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Forget the at large.....10 conference champions, bottom four play round one. Tournament of Champions.
Correct. The goal isn't to decide who is the "best" team. The goal is to decide who is champion. Champions win the games they have to. The only ticket to the CFB playoff is a conference championship, whether you are the "best" team or not. The only way to win the natty is to be the last team standing at the end of the bracket. The whole notion of "best team" is a crock. IMHO OSU is a better team than PSU, albeit marginally. I could care less. PSU should make the field and OSU should not.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Correct. The goal isn't to decide who is the "best" team. The goal is to decide who is champion. Champions win the games they have to. The only ticket to the CFB playoff is a conference championship, whether you are the "best" team or not. The only way to win the natty is to be the last team standing at the end of the bracket. The whole notion of "best team" is a crock. IMHO OSU is a better team than PSU, albeit marginally. I could care less. PSU should make the field and OSU should not.
I agree Ohio State not only didn't win their conference championship, they didn't win their division.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree Ohio State not only didn't win their conference championship, they didn't win their division.

+1,000,000

Apparently, despite what they have said publicly, the regular season results and conference championships simply don't matter. The idea of the "4 best teams" simply trumps all actual results, apparently. Ohio State is certainly a good team, but this is like saying "forget the actual results, forget they lost to that team over there, forget that the did not have to survive a championship game, we like their ratings and the money so we're going to invite them anyway."

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Ohio State is the better team. I don't like Ohio State at all. But they are the second best team in the country. The commitees job is to get the 4 best teams in the nation into the playoffs. I don't think that will happen but that should be their goal.

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
Michigan

That is how it should be in my opinion. With Penn State at 5 and washington at 6.

Animal02

Banned
Ohio State is the better team. I don't like Ohio State at all. But they are the second best team in the country. The commitees job is to get the 4 best teams in the nation into the playoffs. I don't think that will happen but that should be their goal.

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
Michigan

That is how it should be in my opinion. With Penn State at 5 and washington at 6.
Why? Because they won their division and Conference? Or because they only lost one game? They were one non holding call from losing two.....does that make them better?

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
That's the whole problem. The top 4 are just someone's opinion. We deserve better. Let the committee pick 11-16 and take 10 conference champions.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
Michigan

That's some bold claims based on nothing. I actually think Washington is the best team in the country and they'll beat Bama in the first round. The committee won't give OSU the 4 seed because they want a Bama-OSU title game.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
That's some bold claims based on nothing. I actually think Washington is the best team in the country and they'll beat Bama in the first round. The committee won't give OSU the 4 seed because they want a Bama-OSU title game.

Washington would be crushed by bama. I agree their story is great and they have had a great season, but they have played 1 ok team this year, they are completely untested. Ohio State has a victory however close it was to a top 5 team in michigan. Clemson and Alabama have a body of work that speaks for itself. To say my claims are based on nothing is foolish.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
PSU beat OSU head to head AND they have a conference title on their resume, where OSU doesn't even have a division title. If OSU mkes it and PSU doesn't it will be a crock. If beating a team head to head and a title doesn't matter, what does? I guess game results have no bearing. Why even play the season? It is just who we think looks better in their uniforms or puts more butts in the seats or turns on more TVs, whatever.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The whole thing is silly. How can you organize a national championship when schools are allowed to negotiate their own schedule?

Here's a thought ... every conference has to require 8 games to be played (or 7 plus one rivalry game) and organize a method to pick a conference champion. Take the Top 64 teams and seed them with the conference champs getting home field advantage. Three games later ... you are down to the final 8. Perfect for bowl games.

The whole thing could be done in 11 games plus the bowl game. And won on the field.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
So Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Washington are going to the playoffs. Penn State won their conference and beat Ohio State. Why didn't they go instead of Ohio State? Can someone explain this to me? I'm not saying it's wrong, but I do not understand the logic!

Jmonty71

Banned
Ohio State had a higher strength of schedule? It was the win over Oklahoma that pushed them. This is why strength of schedule matters. Personally, this exposes the selection process. They should have 8 teams. 5 for the P5 Champs and 3 at large.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If OSU had played in their conference title game and lost they'd be out. Penn State played in it and won. Committee logic makes no sense and I can't believe the number of people that agree OSU should be in over Penn State. I don't know what kind of eye test you need between the two teams. All I see with the eye test is 24-21 and conference champion.

jrgray

Georgia Tech Fan
PSU beat OSU head to head AND they have a conference title on their resume, where OSU doesn't even have a division title. If OSU mkes it and PSU doesn't it will be a crock. If beating a team head to head and a title doesn't matter, what does? I guess game results have no bearing. Why even play the season? It is just who we think looks better in their uniforms or puts more butts in the seats or turns on more TVs, whatever.

Penn State lost to Michigan, who Ohio State beat. Also lost to a Pitt team that beat another playoff team. If they had blown out Ohio State then I would think otherwise, but it was a very close loss for the Buckeyes.

But I think Penn State played a tougher schedule than Washington so I could see the argument for them to jump Washington.

Conference championship game should pit the two best teams in conference by conference record. Get rid of divisions. Ohio State and Penn State would have settled it on the field with 8-1 conference records.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Agree. And I got ridiculed for saying the committee favors certain schools and conferences. "Play it on the field"? They did. If PSU had scheduled Nichols State instead of Pitt, they would be in the Playoffs. And yet they say strength of schedule matters. That's BS!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Ohio State should be on the outside looking in. If Louisville had not lost their last two, I guess they would have replaced Clemson.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Agree. And I got ridiculed for saying the committee favors certain schools and conferences. "Play it on the field"? They did. If PSU had scheduled Nichols State instead of Pitt, they would be in the Playoffs. And yet they say strength of schedule matters. That's BS!
I look at it this way, the NFL has a way better system, they go by overall record, in the NCAA did this then Penn state probably wouldn't have been playing in the championship game. That imo tells me they weren't the best team, this is just my opinion of course. In the NFL you don't run into all this controversy when it comes to who's the better team in a conference. When there is so much more to play for than just a conference, overall record should be used imo.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
So basically we've never "fixed' BCS... instead of the #3 or #4 bubble teams getting screwed, now it's #5, #6. I love the progress.