Fans deserve a real playoff

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The problem with polls and committees is they are biased. Let's say if instead of Ohio State being 11-1 with a loss to Penn State it was Indiana and instead of Michigan at 10-2 with a narrow loss to Ohio State it was Maryland with a narrow loss to Indiana. Anyone really think Indiana would be at #2, Maryland at #5, and Penn State at #7 with Indiana and Maryland out of the Big 10 championship?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The problem with polls and committees is they are biased. Let's say if instead of Ohio State being 11-1 with a loss to Penn State it was Indiana and instead of Michigan at 10-2 with a narrow loss to Ohio State it was Maryland with a narrow loss to Indiana. Anyone really think Indiana would be at #2, Maryland at #5, and Penn State at #7 with Indiana and Maryland out of the Big 10 championship?
Nope.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
8 team playoff is the answer. 16 is too much. 8 is so simple if you take the conference champs automatically and have 3 at-large teams. Undefeated group of 5 cannot be left out for an at-large power-5 team...if there are more than 3 undefeated group of 5 teams, they can have their own little argument over which of those 4 are the best 3, and I don't think it will cause any real issues since they'd probably all lose in the first or second round anyhow.

When this happens I can say "I invented the playoff"

EJXju-Kq.png
Larry Legend...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
They beat Ohio State… You said the best team usually plays out on the field and Penn State beat Ohio State and might win their conference yet Ohio State will end up getting in over them.
Michigan beat the brakes off of penn state, and then lost to Ohio state who lost to penn state. I personally because it's only 4 don't mind the committee doing the "eye test" imo that's the best way to get the top 4 teams to create the best games, because no body wants a blowout in the playoffs. I honestly don't think penn state is better than Michigan or Ohio state even though they beat Ohio state.

jeffgt14

Michigan beat the brakes off of penn state, and then lost to Ohio state who lost to penn state. I personally because it's only 4 don't mind the committee doing the "eye test" imo that's the best way to get the top 4 teams to create the best games, because no body wants a blowout in the playoffs. I honestly don't think penn state is better than Michigan or Ohio state even though they beat Ohio state.
I don't care if Michigan beat them 222-0. They beat Ohio State straight up and will have only one less loss than Ohio State. If they win their conference they 100% deserve to get in over OSU. Different teams match up differently against different opponents. Florida State got their **** spanked by Louisville who lost to Kentucky. Does that mean Kentucky is better than Florida State?

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't care if Michigan beat them 222-0. They beat Ohio State straight up and will have only one less loss than Ohio State. If they win their conference they 100% deserve to get in over OSU. Different teams match up differently against different opponents. Florida State got their **** spanked by Louisville who lost to Kentucky. Does that mean Kentucky is better than Florida State?

hard to say... has to be played on the field..

jeffgt14

If it's 9-3 FSU vs 7-5 Kentucky then you can make a reasonable argument on which team is better. It may not be the case but the argument is at least reasonable.

Now assuming Penn State wins the Big 10 (FWIW I actually think Wisconsin will win and the committee will luck out on this decision).
11-2 Conference Champ whose only losses are early in the season to current #5 Michigan and 8-4 Pitt who beat #3 Clemson
11-1 team who beat #5 Michigan but lost straight up to the 11-2 conference champ.

That's a situation that you let play out on the field and in the conference before you decide who you "think" is better. You can't sit here say the 11-1 team is better in that situation. They had their fair shot and lost.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
My point was to show its just part of football, just because you win your conference doesn't make you one of the best 4 teams in the country. it also doesn't mean you are better than another team just because you beat them. should penn state get in over a Michigan? They have the same record. If college football was ran like the NFL I would 100 percent agree, but it's not. It's called the top 4 for a reason, it's not called the teams who win their confidence. So whats the only real way to determine the top 4? Sos, record, how bad was your loss and the eye test. They want the absolute best teams to play each other and just because you win your conference doesn't mean your in that top 4. What if Clemson losses to VT? Should VT get in? They would more than likely get rocked. Imo the way it's ran is wrong and it should be changed to a different system, but until then I want them to get the best 4 to create the best games and there is so much controversy that there is no other way with the way college football is ran than to do it by the eye test imo.

jeffgt14

I am 100% against conference champs only getting in. The playoff committee IMO is overreaching their powers (big surprise) to create a top 4 based on assumptions and media hype. The committee should be in place to ensure a 7-5 team who won their conference and had 4 out of conferece losses get in over an 11-1 team who somehow didn’t win their conference. It should not be there to say an 11-1 team that didn’t win their conference is better than an 11-2 conferene champ who beat them head to head.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
At least 8 teams preferably 16. Having a committee pick the top four is unamerican. You tell me they will pick Ohio State over Penn State if they win the big 10 after they beat them head to head. That smells. ESPN might as well be CNN!
The whole system is messed up, and that's why as of now I'm ok with them doing the "eye test" to pick the top 4 until the system is changed (if that ever happens). Because the way the system is set up, if you win your conference it doesn't really mean your the best team. In the NFL they go by your overall record, because they understand there is a bigger picture than just confrences. If college football were to do the same thing as the NFL penn state probably wouldn't even be in the championship game right now because it would be a three way tie with penn state, Michigan, and Ohio state and I doubt they would win the tie braker over either of the other two teams, also out of the three teams when playing a round robin against each other penn state has the worst loss getting beat up bad against Michigan. Honestly no way is fair imo but I want the best 4 playing each other and imo the only way to determine that is by the "eye test".

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
The whole system is messed up, and that's why as of now I'm ok with them doing the "eye test" to pick the top 4 until the system is changed (if that ever happens). Because the way the system is set up, if you win your conference it doesn't really mean your the best team. In the NFL they go by your overall record, because they understand there is a bigger picture than just confrences. If college football were to do the same thing as the NFL penn state probably wouldn't even be in the championship game right now because it would be a three way tie with penn state, Michigan, and Ohio state and I doubt they would win the tie braker over either of the other two teams, also out of the three teams when playing a round robin against each other penn state has the worst loss getting beat up bad against Michigan. Honestly no way is fair imo but I want the best 4 playing each other and imo the only way to determine that is by the "eye test".
The NFL still sends all division champs and they occupy the 1-4 seeds regardless if the wild card team has a better record http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The NFL still sends all division champs and they occupy the 1-4 seeds regardless if the wild card team has a better record http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
I get that, my point is penn state wouldn't have the chance to play in the championship game if it was ran the way the NFL is ran because the NFL goes by overall record, not conference record like the ncaa does. You don't see controversy in the NFL as far as who the best team is in a conference because they don't allow there to be by doing it by overall record. If the Falcons went 6-10 with only conference wins and one of the other three teams had a better record then the Falcons wouldn't win the confrence, in the ncaa the Falcons would automatically be the winner even if one of the other teams went 14-2. I don't mind having conference champions playing for the playoffs, but only if they were to change the system to a better way like the NFL.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
But a 9-7 team can still get to the super bowl because they won their division. Were the 2008 cardinals the second best team in the NFL? Probably not. But they won their division and got hot at the right time.

I get what you are sayingon how conference champs/division champs are figured out, but I still think conference champs should be a requirement for CFP and believe they should go to 8 teams. P5 champs 3 atlarge with G5 team gets a shot at one of atlarge.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
But a 9-7 team can still get to the super bowl because they won their division. Were the 2008 cardinals the second best team in the NFL? Probably not. But they won their division and got hot at the right time.

I get what you are sayingon how conference champs/division champs are figured out, but I still think conference champs should be a requirement for CFP and believe they should go to 8 teams. P5 champs 3 atlarge with G5 team gets a shot at one of atlarge.
I agree they should make it an 8 team playoff system. Jmo that it's messed up no matter what until the system gets changed, and imo the NFL does it better figuring out the best teams per conference. I just don't see how it's fair that penn state would make it if they won over a Michigan team when they have the same record because there is a flaw in their system imo.

Animal02

Banned
The fact that we have a committee picking anybody is the problem. Play it on the field. Have the 10 conference champions and let the committee pick 6 at large. Then we'll have a true champion. If the election had worked like the committee Hilary would be President.
Forget the at large.....10 conference champions, bottom four play round one. Tournament of Champions.