Fans deserve a real playoff

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So basically we've never "fixed' BCS... instead of the #3 or #4 bubble teams getting screwed, now it's #5, #6. I love the progress.
I disagree. In the old system, either Clemson or Washington as one loss conference champs would have been left out. Because of the playoffs, both teams get a shot to win it on the field. There will always be controversy on the bubble, but more deserving teams get a chance this way.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
The fact that there are currently serving ADs on the committee in itself is a redflag. DRad has done well for himself since jumping ship to Clemps. Let's say Clemson was the #5 team. What happens then with the AD of Clemson on the committee?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The fact that there are currently serving ADs on the committee in itself is a redflag. DRad has done well for himself since jumping ship to Clemps. Let's say Clemson was the #5 team. What happens then with the AD of Clemson on the committee?
They recuse themselves from ranking that team

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
Washington's top wins are over 10-3 Colorado, 8-4 Utah, and 8-4 Washington St. Between those 4 teams, they have only played 2 non-conference Power 5 teams (a 45-28 Colorado loss to Michigan and a 48-13 Washington win over Rutgers, who ended the season 2-10).

Therefore, we have no idea if Washington is any good. Because the PAC-12 has moved to 9 conference games and outside of the 2 above plus a Washington St loss to Boise St, the 4 teams above filled their schedules with patsies, Washington is a blank slate. They could be world-beaters (doubtful, but let's put it out there) but more likely aren't in the league of Alabama (or Clemson or Ohio State) and we'll see that on 12/31.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed with everything here. I do CFB analytics for funsies. I have Washington at 5th (Michigan is #3, rather you like it or not, they have played lights out all season, and have the #1 defense). Everyone else in the top 3 has a SOS that fits in the top 25. Washington sits around 60-70th. Its hard to judge as the only teams they have played this year that finished top 10 in advances stats is USC, who beat them. Clemson beat Auburn, Louisville, and FSU. Bama beat USC, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A and M. Ohio state beat Oklahoma, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Washington just doesn't have the big games due to Pac12 having a rather lackluster year.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I look at it this way, the NFL has a way better system, they go by overall record, in the NCAA did this then Penn state probably wouldn't have been playing in the championship game. That imo tells me they weren't the best team, this is just my opinion of course. In the NFL you don't run into all this controversy when it comes to who's the better team in a conference. When there is so much more to play for than just a conference, overall record should be used imo.
NFL - you win your division, you are in. PSU is in regardless of metrics. They would be in regardless of sport or division except The CFB playoffs.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Comparing NFL and CFB playoffs is apples and oranges. There are only 32 teams playing a 16 game regular season... they have salary restrictions & draft rules all designed to produce parity. CFB does nothing to establish parity and there are over 100 teams playing only 12 game regular seasons. NFL plays division opponents 2 times (home/away) each season and the majority of their other games involve common opponents. In the NFL 35% of the teams make the playoffs.

CFB is left with a "flawed" system compared to the NFL for sure. However, what many call a flaw... I call a feature. I have not read all of these posts; but I'm most curious from those advocating something "different"... what is your 'better' plan going to accomplish? What problem are you solving? I happen to like the 8-team playoff many advocate with P5 champs (plus 3 at-large). I also like the current system. The reason I like both of these systems is 1) there is a playoff which is exciting/entertaining; 2) the WHOLE process is controversial and generates passionate discussion. I really enjoy that. Bottom line... I don't see a problem...or one that is actually fixable.

If we applied the 8-team format to this year's rankings we'd have P5 conference champions: Alabama, Clemson, PSU, Oklahoma, Washington. All 5 of those teams happen to be in the top 8 of the CFB playoff rankings. That will probably usually be the case...but not every year. If you simply take the 3 non-conf champ highest ranked teams, you add: OSU, Michigan, & Wisconsin. I see "new" problems with this...half the field is from one conference. My opinion...but these at-large bids would not make it more likely for a non-P5 team to gets in (unless that codified into the system). It would probably make it less likely as the CFB playoff committee seems to really like P5 schedules...understandably so. There is a non-P5 team (Western Mich) undefeated out there and still left out. If you decide to include them... you're left with same issue you've always had with a "weak" strength of schedule team allowed to participate in what still is a relatively 'small' playoff field. In this year's case, Wisconsin would be left out. Are they better (thus more deserving) that Western Michigan.

More controversy.... which, of course, I'm on record as happy to embrace. Having problems is no problem for me.

Last edited:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Washington are going to the playoffs. Penn State won their conference and beat Ohio State. Why didn't they go instead of Ohio State? Can someone explain this to me? I'm not saying it's wrong, but I do not understand the logic!

Because PSU lost to mich by appx 39 points

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
NFL - you win your division, you are in. PSU is in regardless of metrics. They would be in regardless of sport or division except The CFB playoffs.
Your obviously missing my point. I'm not saying the way they are doing it is right, I'm just saying if they ran it by overall record like they should imo, penn state wouldn't even be in. If you are strictly playing for a conference then it is what it is if they do it the way they are, but there is a bigger picture than just a conference championship therefore it should be overall record. I get what everyone is saying that it should be just the conference champions, and that's yalls opinion which is fine. I just don't agree with it because imo the system is so flawed and it shows you can win your division and not be one of the top 4 teams in the country. I've said this before but I want the best 4 teams playing each other, and there can be an argument of who the best 4 are, but it's hard to argue that the playoff committee got it wrong because people feel it's just for the money. Ohio state is number 4 in FEI Clemson 5 Washington 2 and Bama 1. Michigan is number 4 And Penn state 19. Like I said I get yalls point but imho there's no "fair" way with the way the system is ran and the way they do it is the best to get the best imo.

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
Here's a thought: imagine Clemson beats Ohio State and Washington beats Bama, to get to a Clemson vs Washington national championship game. Agreed that the odds are not in favor of that, but would be interesting to see how the media would respond!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At my place of work literally everybody who I have spoken with believes the committee got it right between OSU and PSU. I just can't let this go. They played in the same division and PSU WON THE DIVISION after beating OSU head to head. Additionally, PSU went on to win the conference which is the highest rated in the country. What am I missing? I am convinced it is all about media and putting butts in front of the TV. Obviously, most observers are buying what the committee is selling. I just don't get it. If Kirk Herbie keeps chatting up his team, that will be the one people want to see I guess. Don't get me wrong, I think OSU is a great team, probably even better than PSU, but what does it matter what I think? There are concrete results to go by.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
At my place of work literally everybody who I have spoken with believes the committee got it right between OSU and PSU. I just can't let this go. They played in the same division and PSU WON THE DIVISION after beating OSU head to head. Additionally, PSU went on to win the conference which is the highest rated in the country. What am I missing? I am convinced it is all about media and putting butts in front of the TV. Obviously, most observers are buying what the committee is selling. I just don't get it. If Kirk Herbie keeps chatting up his team, that will be the one people want to see I guess. Don't get me wrong, I think OSU is a great team, probably even better than PSU, but what does it matter what I think? There are concrete results to go by.

Yeah, I agree with you in being in favor of a championship, but I think this here is the deal:
The CFP is still more an evolution from the polls than an evolution toward a championship. The goal is to resolve polling ambiguity not a playoff toward a championship in which the conference championships matter.

Tifwiw.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I agree with you in being in favor of a championship, but I think this here is the deal:
The CFP is still more an evolution from the polls than an evolution toward a championship. The goal is to resolve polling ambiguity not a playoff toward a championship in which the conference championships matter.

Tifwiw.
I think this is still a championship, it just is one that doesn't really make much sense. The CFP has always said it wants "the four best teams", and that part of their criteria would take into account whether you won your conference. By this definition, winning you conference helps but is not necessary in determining whether you are one of the four best. The CFP committee think OSU's body of work is better then PSU's regardless of championship and head to head. PSU lost one more game and had a weaker OOC, and I guess in the eyes of the committee this was enough.

Personally I think this process is completely weird and different than about any other sport I am familiar with, but based on their own criteria, I don't see why this is so hard to believe. I couldn't imagine in the NFL having a team lose the NFC Conference championship but still being sent to the super bowl because a committee thought they were better :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think this is still a championship, it just is one that doesn't really make much sense. The CFP has always said it wants "the four best teams", and that part of their criteria would take into account whether you won your conference. By this definition, winning you conference helps but is not necessary in determining whether you are one of the four best. The CFP committee think OSU's body of work is better then PSU's regardless of championship and head to head. PSU lost one more game and had a weaker OOC, and I guess in the eyes of the committee this was enough.

Personally I think this process is completely weird and different than about any other sport I am familiar with, but based on their own criteria, I don't see why this is so hard to believe. I couldn't imagine in the NFL having a team lose the NFC Conference championship but still being sent to the super bowl because a committee thought they were better :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm not going to argue about the proper definition of "championship." You knew what I meant.