Fall Camp Thread

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I see where Benson is coming from, but I fear for his durability at a lower weight, especially as the season wears on. I hope he maintains the power he had in short yardage situations last year. That's what we need a BB for, not 20 plus plays two or three times a game. Not, mind, that both longer runs and short range power wouldn't be a handy thing to turn up.

Well, he has been training with some pros off season and knows what he wants to do. Eat regularly, Kirvonte; we want you at 205 - 10 at the end of the season as well as the beginning.

Have you actually seen how he is built? Dude is more powerful than some of our linemen. Any weight lost is almost certainly bad weight that was shed.

Imo the only concern would be if he got his body fat % so low he wouldn’t have fat left to burn in 2nd half of games. Not a likely problem imo.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Have you actually seen how he is built? Dude is more powerful than some of our linemen. Any weight lost is almost certainly bad weight that was shed.

Imo the only concern would be if he got his body fat % so low he wouldn’t have fat left to burn in 2nd half of games. Not a likely problem imo.
That is Maurice Jones-Drew's size. If he can be as fast as MJD at that weight, we will be happy jackets by Clemson time.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I hope you are right, but …

Recall what Will's dad said about him in the off season. They were going to get his weight up so that he would keep in the 290 range for the entire season. The O is a wearing one, with everyone blocking (I mean really blocking, not just leaning on people) on every play, a lot of running, and play action for almost every pass. In the heat down here, the problem of progressive weight loss is a real one. And, as you point out, if you are down to just muscle, guess what begins to wear away? That is especially tiring as well.

Well, like I said, Benson has been training with pros off season (I think I read that) and you are probably right. I sure hope so.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Two things I noticed:

I really like the drill where they are rolling softballs at the OLs that they have to pick up at full speed and keep running. Great way to keep everybody's pads low.

I also noticed that they had wet the field down for the drills. After last year, learning how to keep your position in the mud is a really important skill.

I'm also encouraged that Marshall is back and working into shape. With him and Cooper healthy (I hope, I hope) we'll look very good on the OL.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I hope you are right, but …

Recall what Will's dad said about him in the off season. They were going to get his weight up so that he would keep in the 290 range for the entire season. The O is a wearing one, with everyone blocking (I mean really blocking, not just leaning on people) on every play, a lot of running, and play action for almost every pass. In the heat down here, the problem of progressive weight loss is a real one. And, as you point out, if you are down to just muscle, guess what begins to wear away? That is especially tiring as well.

Well, like I said, Benson has been training with pros off season (I think I read that) and you are probably right. I sure hope so.

OL and BB are significantly different with regards to carrying a little extra weight.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
That is Maurice Jones-Drew's size. If he can be as fast as MJD at that weight, we will be happy jackets by Clemson time.

One of my all-time favorite players I’ve ever watched, and also my personal prototype for the BB position. If KirVonte plays like MJD (who he’s built very similarly to), we will be rolling.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I can’t wait for pads to start popping on Tuesday.

I (like everyone else here) am really excited to see what the new D will be like. I think itnis a great compliment to our offense.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you referring to him saying, "we got a ton of centers" in response to a question about centers, before listing guys who have practiced at center?

We do have a fairly young team when you look at depth but should be okay.
No AE87, Ithought I heard him say we have 17 seniors this year. Do not remember anything about "centers". Could be mistaken though.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No AE87, Ithought I heard him say we have 17 seniors this year. Do not remember anything about "centers". Could be mistaken though.

Just look right at the source:

Transcription by me:
KQ: Is there any of the young offensive linemen you think could play center down the line?
CPJ: Center?
KQ: Yeah
CPJ: I don't know we've got a ton of centers right now. I mean, Jahezel's playing center. You've got, uhh, Andrew Marshall back. You've got, uhh, Scott Morgan. You've got Chet Lagod. I mean there's a buch of kids

Pretty obvious that he was talking about "centers" instead of "seniors".