Fall Camp Thread

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: KirVonte Benson is ‘trying to get more of a speed game’
Georgia Tech B-back KirVonte Benson earned All-ACC status last season playing at about 215 pounds. He is hopeful for more if he can play several pounds lighter.

“Trying to get more of a speed game, even though the B-back (position) requires a lot of power,” Benson said Thursday at the team’s media day. “Trying to do both, trying to bring something new to the game that people are unaware of or haven’t seen so far.”

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: What Georgia Tech seniors are feeling as preseason begins
As some of those seniors spoke at Tech’s media day Thursday, they were charged with excitement for what lays ahead.

“It’s a different feel, for sure,” Marshall said. “We talked about it earlier, me and the other guys. We were like, Man, this feels completely different than any of the other ones we’ve reported to. Everyone’s really excited.”

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The Good Word: SUPER-EXCITED FOR CAMP
“There are some teams out there that, for the past few years, we haven’t been stepping on their necks like we should have. This year is going to be very important to be giant killers,” said Alexander. “I know that we were up on teams a lot last year. Towards the end of the games we fatigued a lot … We’re definitely going to focus a lot more on finishing as well as starting.”
“How we start, we have to finish the same way,” said Alexander. “The energy that we bring to the field coming out of the locker room, how we’re so hyped and ready to play, that has to kick in in the second half. We know that our offense needs some work as far as who they go up against, so we have to go harder in practice, too. [New GT defensive coordinator] Coach [Nate] Woody is forcing us to practice how we play. Practice as if it’s a Saturday night game or if NFL scouts were watching.”
“I love it,” said Braun. “It’s faster and more physical and it’s what we see more often during the season. It’s great all-around. That style of defense is more conducive to the athletes that we have on defense. I think we’ll have great success with it.”

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I see where Benson is coming from, but I fear for his durability at a lower weight, especially as the season wears on. I hope he maintains the power he had in short yardage situations last year. That's what we need a BB for, not 20 plus plays two or three times a game. Not, mind, that both longer runs and short range power wouldn't be a handy thing to turn up.

Well, he has been training with some pros off season and knows what he wants to do. Eat regularly, Kirvonte; we want you at 205 - 10 at the end of the season as well as the beginning.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I see where Benson is coming from, but I fear for his durability at a lower weight, especially as the season wears on. I hope he maintains the power he had in short yardage situations last year. That's what we need a BB for, not 20 plus plays two or three times a game. Not, mind, that both longer runs and short range power wouldn't be a handy thing to turn up.

Well, he has been training with some pros off season and knows what he wants to do. Eat regularly, Kirvonte; we want you at 205 - 10 at the end of the season as well as the beginning.

205 is by no means thin at his height. I don't think it will negatively impact disability, although I agree much of his greatness comes from really strong legs making him hard to bring down. He'll still have that, but might lose a little there to gain speed.