Fall Camp Thread

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
Almost there, it's now or never 2017GTF. Starter or finisher? Either way . Ball hard til the end,stay healthy. Your weight on paper,does not defind your ability to ball. #71 you will find the right fit on the field and in life . images-3.jpg images-4.jpg images-2.jpg images-1.jpg images.jpg CFB-DKS-140612406.jpg 080517 tech photos HS12.jpg

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ was asked about his DC hiring last season and he admitted he's always been limited by the program's budget. If I remember correctly, he initially wanted Ellis Johnson in 2008, but we couldn't afford him and Johnson instead got picked up by South Carolina where he maintained an average FEI defense ranking of 20 through 2008-2011 (and signed #1 recruit Jadeveon Clowney). Al Groh had the reputation that should have made him a really good hire, but he obviously didn't work out. After Groh was fired and the defense made a big turnaround under interim DC Charles Kelly, CPJ wanted to retain Kelly as the DC since he had a great relationship with the players and showed potential. But then Florida State offered him more money as a LB coach than we were going to give him as a defensive coordinator, so he got hired away. And I won't totally defend Ted Roof because the on field product is far from perfect, but the amount of improvement he's offered us in recruiting is invaluable. I feel that what you do off the field getting recruits is still a very large part of being a college DC.

Just saying that CPJ's decisions for DCs have actually been pretty good, but the amount of money we have for coaching staff is always going to be a problem. We've had to hire a lot of 2nd (or 3rd? 4th?) choices who carried a lot more risk and, unfortunately, a lot haven't worked out. Though if anyone wants to do the research, look at current top DCs who started new jobs in 2013 and see if we could have gotten any of them instead of Roof. Dave Aranda is one, but he recently got hired away and tripled his salary to $1.3 mil. Don Brown is another, but he also got hired away for $1.4 mil. We wouldn't have kept them either because we don't have LSU/Michigan money. I believe Roof contacted us about the job willing to give a hometown discount, so the move made way too much sense at the time to turn down. And, again, his connections to Georgia high schools has been really, really good for us (plus being a top closer), which is something we struggled a lot with before he arrived. Just my two cents.

Fakenews as of last few years. Roof is one of the top paid DC in all of college football. We have to stop with this excuse and fake news narrative.

Now, i do support the notion that we need to be better with assistants budgets.

But our issue with our d is scheme related and that falls on the dc who is highly paid

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Fakenews as of last few years. Roof is one of the top paid DC in all of college football. We have to stop with this excuse and fake news narrative.

But our issue with our d is scheme related and that falls on the dc who is highly paid
Please lord, spare us the fake news one-liners that got old two months ago.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We are blessed to have some really good SAs. Watching those guys grind through some hard times the last few years has really impressed me. I just get the sense these guys have "grown up" over the last few seasons. They know what it takes to win and how it sucks to lose. Our biggest advantage this year will be that opposing teams will have to line up against 11 guys on each side of the ball that hate to lose. The Athlon guy was right about one thing, opposing teams better be ready for fist fight when they play us.

MountPGT1990

Banned
For the newer members of GTSwarm who may not be aware of this - we have several members who have a special/unique connection to the program. These connections may be familial, friendship, etc. They have been very good about posting info when they felt like they could. Not everyone will be able to post specifics but I have not known of anyone who was blowing smoke or dropping names unnecessarily. My suggestion is to just enjoy the snippets we get and try not to take anything said about Our Team too personal. After all, we are all Yellow Jackets!

I'm fairly new on this site migrating from the Hive. What are the names of the posters of the guys connected to the program? I like to be able to hunt for their posts on the board.
I'm guessing Bigdaddybuzz, Flea, any others?

Thanks!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

Cam

Helluva Engineer

What was "fake news" about my post? I didn't spin anything. I gave you words from CPJ and evidence to support why CTR is still our DC and you just kind of dismissed it without providing an argument. I think you might be missing the point of my post. The idea is that what Ted Roof offers us may be the best we can get. That might be a hard pill to swallow, but the fact is that he is still at least an average DC and above average recruiter who fits really well for our needs. If we had anyone who was marginally better than Roof, history shows us we couldn't afford him or keep him. And there is no guarantee that new guy would be as heavily linked to southern high schools and as loved by the players (from all accounts I've heard) as CTR. Staff consistency is very important. I'm just being realistic until our athletic association decides to be serious about competing in football. Though if you want to discuss this more, we can either switch to a different thread or you can PM me. Let's keep this one on Fall Camp.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
In case anyone missed a post of mine earlier or didn't watch the video from yesterday. TM might be making the move back to aback.
I think that would be really smart and the best move for TM. I almost wish that CPJ would redshirt him this year so he could be a starter at A back after Searcy and Lynch graduate. I know that this won't happen but in an ideal world, I would like it to :).

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I think that would be really smart and the best move for TM. I almost wish that CPJ would redshirt him this year so he could be a starter at A back after Searcy and Lynch graduate. I know that this won't happen but in an ideal world, I would like it to :).

Agree he is very talented and been willing to play wherever he is needed and you want to see a guy like that get some significant playing time. He and guys like Marcus Allen are so important to a team both for their play and also the team first attitude.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Agree 100% with this. I thought TM looked good at AB his freshmen year before he got injured. He's very dynamic, and has ability as both a receiver and runner.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
What was "fake news" about my post? I didn't spin anything. I gave you words from CPJ and evidence to support why CTR is still our DC and you just kind of dismissed it without providing an argument. I think you might be missing the point of my post. The idea is that what Ted Roof offers us may be the best we can get. That might be a hard pill to swallow, but the fact is that he is still at least an average DC and above average recruiter who fits really well for our needs. If we had anyone who was marginally better than Roof, history shows us we couldn't afford him or keep him. And there is no guarantee that new guy would be as heavily linked to southern high schools and as loved by the players (from all accounts I've heard) as CTR. Staff consistency is very important. I'm just being realistic until our athletic association decides to be serious about competing in football. Though if you want to discuss this more, we can either switch to a different thread or you can PM me. Let's keep this one on Fall Camp.
Good post! As I've said before I've been profesionally associated with Coach Roof for almost 20 years along with many other coaches. He is the best recruiter I've ever seen in over thirty years in the business. He gets players we normally wouldn't get here and has at every stop. He motivates his players at a high level also. They love him and play their butts off for him.

As far as Xs and Os go he's as good as any of the guys making that big money. When people talk about HIS bend but don't break scheme they aren't understanding the situation. It's not HIS scheme but rather what he has to do to try and be competitive. Hopefully his recruiting will allow him to be more aggressive with his scheme.

I think most of us will agree that GT is a very unique place to recruit. You can put many of those high paid guys who some continue to praise as great DCs here and it may end their careers.

Lastly, I think most of us agree that Coach Johnson is one of the best coaches to put a whistle around his neck. I certainly do! He takes tough situations and makes them work. He understands what Ted brings to the table here. If he were to get rid of Roof it wouldn't be long before he would be next and I'm sure he understands that.

As I've said many times, continuity of staff is the best thing we have going for us. There are no quick fixes here. We don't shift gears well. If we stay behind Johnson we'll always be competitive and have chances to have those special years when all the stars align and I believe Roof is a big part of that.