Fall Camp Thread

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm fairly new on this site migrating from the Hive. What are the names of the posters of the guys connected to the program? I like to be able to hunt for their posts on the board.
I'm guessing Bigdaddybuzz, Flea, any others?

Thanks!

Well, Milwaukee's a pretty big deal around here. Ask anyone.

Welcome aboard btw

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On what he’s looking for from the quarterbacks in determining the depth chart:

A: Well, it’s always hard in shorts and then in shells. I think taking care of the football. We had some issues with that in the spring. I think we did a better job of that today. And then just overall command from a quarterback position, of getting us checked to the right plays, just going off what you see from the defense and getting the direction going.

Hmmmm......

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Good post! As I've said before I've been profesionally associated with Coach Roof for almost 20 years along with many other coaches. He is the best recruiter I've ever seen in over thirty years in the business. He gets players we normally wouldn't get here and has at every stop. He motivates his players at a high level also. They love him and play their butts off for him.

As far as Xs and Os go he's as good as any of the guys making that big money. When people talk about HIS bend but don't break scheme they aren't understanding the situation. It's not HIS scheme but rather what he has to do to try and be competitive. Hopefully his recruiting will allow him to be more aggressive with his scheme.

I think most of us will agree that GT is a very unique place to recruit. You can put many of those high paid guys who some continue to praise as great DCs here and it may end their careers.

Lastly, I think most of us agree that Coach Johnson is one of the best coaches to put a whistle around his neck. I certainly do! He takes tough situations and makes them work. He understands what Ted brings to the table here. If he were to get rid of Roof it wouldn't be long before he would be next and I'm sure he understands that.

As I've said many times, continuity of staff is the best thing we have going for us. There are no quick fixes here. We don't shift gears well. If we stay behind Johnson we'll always be competitive and have chances to have those special years when all the stars align and I believe Roof is a big part of that.
I will have to disagree that Roof is as good at the X's and O's as the top paid guys. If he had the players that the factories have, he could have the success the top guys have. We've seen it done at penn state. But I think there are guys that having lower level talent, coach guys up better than Roof. I don't believe this "bend but don't break" scheme is what he has to do because of the players. There are many programs out there that we recruit on the same level with, yet they don't play bend but don't brake, and their D's are way better than ours. Like I said if Roof had more talented players, his scheme would work, but when you don't have those guys you need to get more "exotic" more stunts, twist, coverages etc. this is what VT does. Dan Quinn of the falcons has talked about playing to the players strengths, I just don't see that happening. I don't doubt he's a good coach with X's and O's but I do question his ability to coach kids up or play to their strengths, JMO. hopefully the increase in recruiting will help out. I just don't believe our talent level on D is bottom of college football in some areas. I do hope things can turn around though, and if he is apart of it I will be very pleased.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well, Milwaukee's a pretty big deal around here. Ask anyone.

Welcome aboard btw
Eric is the site builder and person of great content. He is the man! But the man has gone silent.
CUSE, Boomer, are good content folks and there posts contain facts

Edit,
I forgot longest - he is a considered poster and does video.
Also overall is a tech defensive player of old. Great info on game film
Also find out about chat

Last edited:

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Good post! As I've said before I've been profesionally associated with Coach Roof for almost 20 years along with many other coaches. He is the best recruiter I've ever seen in over thirty years in the business. He gets players we normally wouldn't get here and has at every stop. He motivates his players at a high level also. They love him and play their butts off for him.

As far as Xs and Os go he's as good as any of the guys making that big money. When people talk about HIS bend but don't break scheme they aren't understanding the situation. It's not HIS scheme but rather what he has to do to try and be competitive. Hopefully his recruiting will allow him to be more aggressive with his scheme.

I think most of us will agree that GT is a very unique place to recruit. You can put many of those high paid guys who some continue to praise as great DCs here and it may end their careers.

Lastly, I think most of us agree that Coach Johnson is one of the best coaches to put a whistle around his neck. I certainly do! He takes tough situations and makes them work. He understands what Ted brings to the table here. If he were to get rid of Roof it wouldn't be long before he would be next and I'm sure he understands that.

As I've said many times, continuity of staff is the best thing we have going for us. There are no quick fixes here. We don't shift gears well. If we stay behind Johnson we'll always be competitive and have chances to have those special years when all the stars align and I believe Roof is a big part of that.

I posted in another thread that Ted Roof's contract should be up after this year. He makes $750k now (I'm too lazy to look up if that's the base or the average with incentives) so we need to ask ourselves what he is worth going forward. This is his fifth year and his first full class will be Seniors/R-Juniors if we give him a pass on the 2013 class he had about 2 months to recruit. Where do we go from here? Extension or see what else is out there? Is his recruiting and the promise that we will be good eventually enough to justify another 3 years and probably $800-$900k a year? Do we give him more money to clean house and hire new assistant to get the job done? We make some pretty mediocre OLines look like the Dallas Cowboys with our lack of pass rush and we miss tackles/arm tackle way too much for an ACC school to be happy with and both of these are technique based fixes that are the responsibility of the position coaches. Wake and BC both had some great DCs before they were hired away by ND and Michigan in the last two years, so what are we missing by not finding these guys?

I don't know the answer for what we should do, but I do know that some bad schools have fielded solid to good defenses and we really haven't. As much fun as we make about Miami or UGA wasting talent I can't help but feel like we are in the same boat compared to a lot of school's out there who would kill to land recruits like ours.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow

I like Roof, great guy and very good recruiter but I disagree he is forced into this scheme. I was a faculty member at Auburn when they won a National Championship in spite of his defense (look at the game scores if you have doubts.) Even with Nick Fairly at DT, a top 5 draft pick, and Auburns typical 4*/5* defenders he played bend but don't break. He made good adjustments at halftime, but the AU fans hated him. He did not last long at Auburn.
I want him to stay at Tech, but would love to see him be a bit more aggressive. I would trade a quick touchdown given up for two 3 and outs any day so our offense can get on the field.

Bob

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I like Roof, great guy and very good recruiter but I disagree he is forced into this scheme. I was a faculty member at Auburn when they won a National Championship in spite of his defense (look at the game scores if you have doubts.) Even with Nick Fairly at DT, a top 5 draft pick, and Auburns typical 4*/5* defenders he played bend but don't break. He made good adjustments at halftime, but the AU fans hated him. He did not last long at Auburn.
I want him to stay at Tech, but would love to see him be a bit more aggressive. I would trade a quick touchdown given up for two 3 and outs any day so our offense can get on the field.

Bob
Agree, sometime you just need to evolve in your style of play.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III

Bob
Always heard that he was just a figurehead and Chizik called the games on D, but I don't know if there are any legs to that rumor.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I posted in another thread that Ted Roof's contract should be up after this year. He makes $750k now (I'm too lazy to look up if that's the base or the average with incentives) so we need to ask ourselves what he is worth going forward. This is his fifth year and his first full class will be Seniors/R-Juniors if we give him a pass on the 2013 class he had about 2 months to recruit. Where do we go from here? Extension or see what else is out there? Is his recruiting and the promise that we will be good eventually enough to justify another 3 years and probably $800-$900k a year? Do we give him more money to clean house and hire new assistant to get the job done? We make some pretty mediocre OLines look like the Dallas Cowboys with our lack of pass rush and we miss tackles/arm tackle way too much for an ACC school to be happy with and both of these are technique based fixes that are the responsibility of the position coaches. Wake and BC both had some great DCs before they were hired away by ND and Michigan in the last two years, so what are we missing by not finding these guys?

I don't know the answer for what we should do, but I do know that some bad schools have fielded solid to good defenses and we really haven't. As much fun as we make about Miami or UGA wasting talent I can't help but feel like we are in the same boat compared to a lot of school's out there who would kill to land recruits like ours.

It does not matter if you like or do not like Coach Roof. He is not going anywhere. Just the way it is. PJ has, in his mind, found his man to coach defense and that pretty much settles it. I wish we had a different style defense, I wish we blitzed more, I wish we did not play four quarters zone so much, I wish a lot of things but the reality is that our recruiting on defense has gotten decidedly much better under his direction and we are making progress on defense. He is a legacy at Georgia Tech, an original member of the Black Watch and NOBODY wants the Institute to prosper and succeed more than Coach Roof. Let's play ball and see what happens.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Look at how bad Womack sucked during his time as DC at GT and how successful he's been elsewhere. Roof is upgrading our talent on D bigtime, lets watch this play out....

This has me thinking that a lot of the coach shuffling on the defensive side of the ball, besides the admittedly bad play, may have had more to do with the defensive coordinators simply not fitting in with Coach Johnson. We as fans will never know, but Womack and the others simply may not have gee hawed quite enough with PJ. Maybe Coach Roof simply gets along better with PJ and has earned a measure of respect and autonomy that the others did not have. I know that Coach Roof has labored under a series of head coaches like O'Leary and certainly Chizik who constantly were second guessing him. It is quite possible that they just get along with each other better than the others did .

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
It does not matter if you like or do not like Coach Roof. He is not going anywhere. Just the way it is. PJ has, in his mind, found his man to coach defense and that pretty much settles it. I wish we had a different style defense, I wish we blitzed more, I wish we did not play four quarters zone so much, I wish a lot of things but the reality is that our recruiting on defense has gotten decidedly much better under his direction and we are making progress on defense. He is a legacy at Georgia Tech, an original member of the Black Watch and NOBODY wants the Institute to prosper and succeed more than Coach Roof. Let's play ball and see what happens.

He probably isn't going anywhere, and I don't necessarily want him fired but we're looking down the barrel of an extension and likely more money if we keep him. It's tough for me to see the results and justify a bigger contract but that's what is probably going to happen. 5 years with this staff and still seeing "lesser programs" (I'm not trying to be demeaning but there is a realistic pecking order in the conference) do so much better disappoints me.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Look at how bad Womack sucked during his time as DC at GT and how successful he's been elsewhere. Roof is upgrading our talent on D bigtime, lets watch this play out....

Womack's defense got worked last year after a lot of those top rated recruits graduated or went to the NFL and they couldn't reload as well because of sanctions. However sometimes you do need to be in the right place with the right people to succeed. Kevin Steele was laughably bad in the ACC but he's killing it at Auburn. Brent Venables was fired from Oklahoma but he's doing well at Clemson (although I have my opinions on him being very overated but that's another conversation). Ellis Johnson had some great defenses at USC and then fell off completely and I think he's out of coaching now. Maybe Roof can be a great DC somewhere but it isn't clicking here for whatever reason.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Womack's defense got worked last year after a lot of those top rated recruits graduated or went to the NFL and they couldn't reload as well because of sanctions. However sometimes you do need to be in the right place with the right people to succeed. Kevin Steele was laughably bad in the ACC but he's killing it at Auburn. Brent Venables was fired from Oklahoma but he's doing well at Clemson (although I have my opinions on him being very overated but that's another conversation). Ellis Johnson had some great defenses at USC and then fell off completely and I think he's out of coaching now. Maybe Roof can be a great DC somewhere but it isn't clicking here for whatever reason.
Agreed, but I'd give Roof a few more years to get the players he needs. On D it's the players, not the coaches. Imho, our problem is that, until recently, we haven't hit with enough of our DT targets. The schemes are ok, but the lack of an inside rush has meant that our DEs (especially Freeman) are getting doubled up all the time. Result = not much of a rush.

Maybe we'll start to turn the corner this year. All we need is that one special DT and you never know when those people will show up at a place like Tech.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Kevin Steele is one guy that I thought had all the tools but as you say had a tough go of it at Clemson then he is successful at Auburn. Was the talent that much different? Maybe he got along with the other coaches, maybe it was just a better fit (for lack of a better term) don't know but its funny how some coaches step into situations as coordinators that work or don't work that have little to do with talent per se.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow

I'm pretty sure Venables was not fired at OU. He went to Clemson for a significant compensation increase offer.