Fall Camp Thread

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
This has me thinking that a lot of the coach shuffling on the defensive side of the ball, besides the admittedly bad play, may have had more to do with the defensive coordinators simply not fitting in with Coach Johnson. We as fans will never know, but Womack and the others simply may not have gee hawed quite enough with PJ. Maybe Coach Roof simply gets along better with PJ and has earned a measure of respect and autonomy that the others did not have. I know that Coach Roof has labored under a series of head coaches like O'Leary and certainly Chizik who constantly were second guessing him. It is quite possible that they just get along with each other better than the others did .
You're on the right track but I don't think it's so much PJ liking Roof. We all know that he'd fire his own mother if it meant more wins. He sees the value that Roof brings to this program. Let's face it, Paul Johnson is a smart guy. He's arrogant but smart. Everything the man does is calculated!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Fakenews as of last few years. Roof is one of the top paid DC in all of college football. We have to stop with this excuse and fake news narrative.

Now, i do support the notion that we need to be better with assistants budgets.

But our issue with our d is scheme related and that falls on the dc who is highly paid

Your fake news is fake news :cigar:

Sorry @Skeptic :ROFLMAO:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess Roof is at the fall camp which is why we are discussing him here?

Best comment I heard in several days was @BigDaddyBuzz "The D is really flying around and playing fast. Mainly due to the experience in the secondary. If we can get solid LB play I think the D will be much improved and get back to creating a lot of turnovers. With our O and a D creating turnovers, I expect a very good 2014 type season."

I hope we get a lot better than the 94th in D that Football Outsiders ranked us last year. Our D is going to make or break going from a good season to a great season IMHO. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
You're on the right track but I don't think it's so much PJ liking Roof. We all know that he'd fire his own mother if it meant more wins. He sees the value that Roof brings to this program. Let's face it, Paul Johnson is a smart guy. He's arrogant but smart. Everything the man does is calculated!

Surely you jest. "Fire his own mother..." He wouldn't do that to his own mother. Now that I think about it, yes he probably would. Your other point is valid. He is shrewd and calculating to a degree most fans do not appreciate or quite understand. I am not talking necessarily about play calling either.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I guess Roof is at the fall camp which is why we are discussing him here?

Best comment I heard in several days was @BigDaddyBuzz "The D is really flying around and playing fast. Mainly due to the experience in the secondary. If we can get solid LB play I think the D will be much improved and get back to creating a lot of turnovers. With our O and a D creating turnovers, I expect a very good 2014 type season."

I hope we get a lot better than the 94th in D that Football Outsiders ranked us last year. Our D is going to make or break going from a good season to a great season IMHO. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef
I want to believe.........

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/gtcamp17.html

Practice No. 5: Tuesday, Aug. 8

THE FLATS -- The sound of pads popping returned to The Flats for the first time in more than three months on Tuesday when Georgia Tech football held the first full-pads practice of its 2017 fall camp.

Practice Details:

Georgia Tech donned full pads for the first time since spring practice ended in April on Tuesday. The Yellow Jackets' fifth practice of the season consisted of 23 periods, including extended 11-on-11 drills to close out the two-hour-and-15-minute workout. Like Monday, heavy rain moved over Midtown Atlanta during practice, which led to some good, old-fashioned football in the mud on Rose Bowl Field before practice was moved entirely into the John and Mary Brock Football Facility as the rain intensified and field conditions worsened.

Plays of the Day:
Offensive highlights punctuated the 11-on-11 periods at the end of Tuesday's practice, including:
  • a perfectly executed screen pass from junior quarterback Matthew Jordan to sophomore B-back KirVonte Benson, who was sprung by a key block from junior tackle Jake Stickler for a long gain;
  • a terrific throw and catch from redshirt freshman quarterback Lucas Johnson to redshirt freshman Alan Bussoletti, who used his 6-4 frame to go high over a defender for a big pickup down the right sideline;
  • a long touchdown run by Johnson on an option play over the right side of the offensive line.
Defensively, true freshman Kelton Dawson turned in the biggest play of the 11-on-11 drills when he ripped through the line to take down a runner for a big tackle for loss.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
It seems like getting TQ on the field is the best case scenario if he is confident in them to backup. He is really elusive and the rocket toss PA would be a nice drive opener.
He was an A back starter as a freshman, and is another Qua-like tweener slot guy.
We are much deeper there this time around, but he could get some reps, and there's always guys getting dinged.
If you move him over, you have a top 5 AB crew that would be tough for any former GT team to match.
2014- Perkins, Zenon, Hill, Snoddy, Bostic was a good crew. I think these guys will be even better.