Fall Camp Thread

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You won't see any movement from the freshman up the depth chart until after pads go on which is tomorrow. The kids are ready to play some real football. From what I was told PJ has not been happy with the offense taking care of the ball, which should not be a problem in shells. It was better today. If Shamire can keep the weight off he will play a lot at guard as a 3 man rotation.
As others have stated PJ will without a doubt play the best guy at QB. Jordan is still at #1 but Jay missed the first 2 practices. It is an ongoing issue with MJ's throwing. Not trying to piss off a certain poster but it is what it is. Just listen to Candeto and PJ after practice today. To counter that, it is an ongoing issue with the freshman QB's about which direction and play to run.
The D is really flying around and playing fast. Mainly due to the experience in the secondary. If we can get solid LB play I think the D will be much improved and get back to creating a lot of turnovers. With our O and a D creating turnovers, I expect a very good 2014 type season.
Lastly, word is that Harvin can really boom the ball at punter. He will be a weapon similar to how Rodney Williams was years ago.

SlawDog

Banned
Actually he didn't claim to glean much of anything but who was in the pic at WR.

@BigDaddyBuzz , who has reliable info though, had some good info.

You must be great at parties.
Why don't you get lost buddy? I was asking if there was some text in the previous post that I couldn't see. You're really starting to piss me off butting in when it's none of your business. You might want to cut it out. Got me just quit being a douche.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For the newer members of GTSwarm who may not be aware of this - we have several members who have a special/unique connection to the program. These connections may be familial, friendship, etc. They have been very good about posting info when they felt like they could. Not everyone will be able to post specifics but I have not known of anyone who was blowing smoke or dropping names unnecessarily. My suggestion is to just enjoy the snippets we get and try not to take anything said about Our Team too personal. After all, we are all Yellow Jackets!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You won't see any movement from the freshman up the depth chart until after pads go on which is tomorrow. The kids are ready to play some real football. From what I was told PJ has not been happy with the offense taking care of the ball, which should not be a problem in shells. It was better today. If Shamire can keep the weight off he will play a lot at guard as a 3 man rotation.
As others have stated PJ will without a doubt play the best guy at QB. Jordan is still at #1 but Jay missed the first 2 practices. It is an ongoing issue with MJ's throwing. Not trying to piss off a certain poster but it is what it is. Just listen to Candeto and PJ after practice today. To counter that, it is an ongoing issue with the freshman QB's about which direction and play to run.
The D is really flying around and playing fast. Mainly due to the experience in the secondary. If we can get solid LB play I think the D will be much improved and get back to creating a lot of turnovers. With our O and a D creating turnovers, I expect a very good 2014 type season.
Lastly, word is that Harvin can really boom the ball at punter. He will be a weapon similar to how Rodney Williams was years ago.

Where can I find Candeto's post practice audio?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
He's also the one who hired (and continues to keep) those defensive coaches you continually talk about. How about we let Paul continue to make those decisions. He's done a fantastic job. After all he's the expert!

he has routinely hired avg at best DCs man. Sorry dude. I was only talking about his decisions relating to personnel on O.

if you want to talk about program for CPJ, without a doubt, categorically, he can be questioned constantly on his decisions with DC, some recruiting here's and there's and maybe a knicky knack thing here or there that I can't immediately think of.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why don't you get lost buddy? I was asking if there was some text in the previous post that I couldn't see. You're really starting to piss me off butting in when it's none of your business. You might want to cut it out. Got me just quit being a douche.

Point taken that I've been jumping on your posts. It doesn't help further the discussion.

I got pretty sick of you hijacking every QB related comment into a defense of MJ. I get it. You're connected, and I'm glad that connnection has you involved in the discussion on this board. The rest of us have been around for awhile, too. And we root just as hard for MJ as you do. And the other guys.

Just know that its gonna get a lot more intense for you if you take offense when MJ has a 3 pick game or fumbles on the goal line. Just the nature of message boards. I won't be rooting for that, and I don't call out players for poor performance. Never have. I just don't want to see you lose it when that happens on here.

I'm done now. Glad to have you on the board.

SlawDog

Banned
Point taken that I've been jumping on your posts. It doesn't help further the discussion.

I got pretty sick of you hijacking every QB related comment into a defense of MJ. I get it. You're connected, and I'm glad that connnection has you involved in the discussion on this board. The rest of us have been around for awhile, too. And we root just as hard for MJ as you do. And the other guys.

Just know that its gonna get a lot more intense for you if you take offense when MJ has a 3 pick game or fumbles on the goal line. Just the nature of message boards. I won't be rooting for that, and I don't call out players for poor performance. Never have. I just don't want to see you lose it when that happens on here.

I'm done now. Glad to have you on the board.

I come in peace however, nice try, my last post had absolutely nothing to do with MJ. Also, I have absolutely no connection with MJ. I just pull for genuinely quality young men, which he appears to be.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/gtcamp17.html

Practice No. 4: Monday, Aug. 7

THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech football continued its 2017 fall camp with its fourth practice of the year on Monday afternoon.
Practice Details:
Georgia Tech practiced for nearly two-and-a-half hours in helmets, shoulder pads and shorts for the second-straight day on Monday. The 24-period workout lasted nearly two-and-a-half hours. The first several periods of practice were held inside the John and Mary Brock Football Facility due to a heavy rainfall over Georgia Tech's Midtown Atlanta campus. However, the rain cleared in time to allow for the majority of the workout to be held outdoors at Rose Bowl Field. On Tuesday, the Yellow Jackets will be able to strap on full pads for the first time, per NCAA regulations.

Quotes of the Day:
"Today during 1-on-1s, he caught an 'OBJ'-type, one-handed catch."
-Junior quarterback Matthew Jordan on true freshman wide receiver Adonicas Sanders.

"We feel kind of silly now. It didn't really catch on."
Sophomore offensive guard Parker Braun on he and fellow guard Will Bryan shaving their heads for fall camp.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/gtcamp17.html

Practice No. 4: Monday, Aug. 7

THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech football continued its 2017 fall camp with its fourth practice of the year on Monday afternoon.
Practice Details:
Georgia Tech practiced for nearly two-and-a-half hours in helmets, shoulder pads and shorts for the second-straight day on Monday. The 24-period workout lasted nearly two-and-a-half hours. The first several periods of practice were held inside the John and Mary Brock Football Facility due to a heavy rainfall over Georgia Tech's Midtown Atlanta campus. However, the rain cleared in time to allow for the majority of the workout to be held outdoors at Rose Bowl Field. On Tuesday, the Yellow Jackets will be able to strap on full pads for the first time, per NCAA regulations.

Quotes of the Day:
"Today during 1-on-1s, he caught an 'OBJ'-type, one-handed catch."
-Junior quarterback Matthew Jordan on true freshman wide receiver Adonicas Sanders.

"We feel kind of silly now. It didn't really catch on."
Sophomore offensive guard Parker Braun on he and fellow guard Will Bryan shaving their heads for fall camp.
If you click on the link there is a video. Sounds like TQ might move back to a back. Coach was talking about 4 a backs that have separated, said Nathan is in the group and Omari jarret has played (I don't think he's in that 4 it's probably Lynch, Green, Searcy and Contrell) but then he said "and depending on what we do with Taquan"

Cam

Helluva Engineer
he has routinely hired avg at best DCs man. Sorry dude. I was only talking about his decisions relating to personnel on O.

if you want to talk about program for CPJ, without a doubt, categorically, he can be questioned constantly on his decisions with DC, some recruiting here's and there's and maybe a knicky knack thing here or there that I can't immediately think of.
I think CPJ was asked about his DC hiring last season and he admitted he's always been limited by the program's budget. If I remember correctly, he initially wanted Ellis Johnson in 2008, but we couldn't afford him and Johnson instead got picked up by South Carolina where he maintained an average FEI defense ranking of 20 through 2008-2011 (and signed #1 recruit Jadeveon Clowney). Al Groh had the reputation that should have made him a really good hire, but he obviously didn't work out. After Groh was fired and the defense made a big turnaround under interim DC Charles Kelly, CPJ wanted to retain Kelly as the DC since he had a great relationship with the players and showed potential. But then Florida State offered him more money as a LB coach than we were going to give him as a defensive coordinator, so he got hired away. And I won't totally defend Ted Roof because the on field product is far from perfect, but the amount of improvement he's offered us in recruiting is invaluable. I feel that what you do off the field getting recruits is still a very large part of being a college DC.

Just saying that CPJ's decisions for DCs have actually been pretty good, but the amount of money we have for coaching staff is always going to be a problem. We've had to hire a lot of 2nd (or 3rd? 4th?) choices who carried a lot more risk and, unfortunately, a lot haven't worked out. Though if anyone wants to do the research, look at current top DCs who started new jobs in 2013 and see if we could have gotten any of them instead of Roof. Dave Aranda is one, but he recently got hired away and tripled his salary to $1.3 mil. Don Brown is another, but he also got hired away for $1.4 mil. We wouldn't have kept them either because we don't have LSU/Michigan money. I believe Roof contacted us about the job willing to give a hometown discount, so the move made way too much sense at the time to turn down. And, again, his connections to Georgia high schools has been really, really good for us (plus being a top closer), which is something we struggled a lot with before he arrived. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Once the pads get on could you let us know how the D line is looking?