Fall Camp Thread

MountPGT1990

Banned
Right now TM is starter but 2 weeks left. If MJ can get healthy he could start. I don't think LJ will start game 1 but could start later. It's a good problem to have.
Also A backs got a lot of work today and looked good. We have 5 solid guys there

Who is the 5th Aback? Omari ?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Of course KB is bigger, faster, stronger, etc than Mills....isn't the backup always superior to the starter ???

Only for qbs.

Benson may end up being as good as mills or close enough where its not such a big dropoff. We dont totally know. Some guys progress slower or not at all. Some guys practice ok, but are really good in games. We will find out. Cleary mills spashed on the scene quick, started and produced. So it obviously shows he was ahead of benson and quick. But benson had a leg injury that really takes two years to heal. Many laughed at me on this board when i said that; but its true. Acls take two years for the player to feel fully back. Of course, cpj said the same thing a week or so ago about benson, that it took two years and he is finally back comfortable. So. Vindicated lol.

Anyway. Point is benson is finally more full go but mills already established himself. So we will see.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Right now TM is starter but 2 weeks left. If MJ can get healthy he could start. I don't think LJ will start game 1 but could start later. It's a good problem to have.
Also A backs got a lot of work today and looked good. We have 5 solid guys there
How did Jay look?l at QB? And how about Jerry Howard's at Bback? Also while I'm asking questions, how about the OL, DL, and LB's? Lol

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Do you think LJ will play against UT?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
the guy filming is not ken; he got chippy with the guy filming who I think is JOL (who is that?)? CPJ is always chippy with ken though lol

Could be why Ken has been pushing a lot of in-depth and puff pieces for Pastner and the MBB team this summer even though GT MBB won't play until November, and GT football gets what they get. It works both ways.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
the guy filming is not ken; he got chippy with the guy filming who I think is JOL (who is that?)? CPJ is always chippy with ken though lol

There was something a couple of years ago when Ken was asking about injuries and PJ said something back, alluding to Ken going around PJ to get injury info. i think that's still in the back of PJ's mind.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I know Jordan isn't practicing and that would normally be a bad thing for anyone trying to start.

In his case, I doubt that it is. He's been the prime backup for two years. The coaches have seen him practice during all that time. He's actually started and won a football game away and played extensive time in another. In short, they know what he can do. The only question about him starting against UT is whether he can get over this lingering shoulder thing and practice starting next week. If he can, I think he'll start based on past experience. If he can't, the only other QB with game experience - Marshall - will start, at least for one game. I think the only way LJ sees the field (at least for the first half of the season) is if Marshall and Jordan can't start or fall flat on their faces. I think that's unlikely.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I know Jordan isn't practicing and that would normally be a bad thing for anyone trying to start.

In his case, I doubt that it is. He's been the prime backup for two years. The coaches have seen him practice during all that time. He's actually started and won a football game away and played extensive time in another. In short, they know what he can do. The only question about him starting against UT is whether he can get over this lingering shoulder thing and practice starting next week. If he can, I think he'll start based on past experience. If he can't, the only other QB with game experience - Marshall - will start, at least for one game. I think the only way LJ sees the field (at least for the first half of the season) is if Marshall and Jordan can't start or fall flat on their faces. I think that's unlikely.
I disagree, it doesn't matter how much the coaches have seen you and how long you have been #2. If you aren't practicing then you're not getting the reps and connection with the other guys. That's why CPJ talks about reps. Coming in without much practice means you will be pretty rusty imo.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If KB is bigger and faster than Mills we will be good! He will be back on Monday! CPJ will put us in the best position to win!

Benson will be OK but he does not run like Mills. He hunts for a place to run and if the hole is there he goes. If not he slides and looks and takes a loss or no gain. He has big play potential but I would rather see Howard if we need short tough yards. Benson had poor blocking in HS and he picked up habits that hopefully can be turned around with coaching. Laskey trusted his blocking and blasted the hole. Benson has not demonstrated that yet. He is however a very good pass receiver. He is just a SOPH and could develop into a really good back as he has the size, the speed, and the hands.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Benson will be OK but he does not run like Mills. He hunts for a place to run and if the hole is there he goes. If not he slides and looks and takes a loss or no gain. He has big play potential but I would rather see Howard if we need short tough yards. Benson had poor blocking in HS and he picked up habits that hopefully can be turned around with coaching. Laskey trusted his blocking and blasted the hole. Benson has not demonstrated that yet. He is however a very good pass receiver. He is just a SOPH and could develop into a really good back as he has the size, the speed, and the hands.
Thanks for posting this. There is real, genuine value in trusting the play, and slamming it up in there and getting what you can get out of the play, rather than always looking to "make something happen".

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I seem to remember Benson setting some type of lifting record this summer. So he may be stronger than Mills. I know everyone loves the bback that just smashes it up in there, but I saw Skov and Mills miss holes because they did not have the patience or the vision to see what was unfolding. MM had that vision. Hopefully Benson will as well.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

One thing to remember our offense takes about 3 games to get going like we like to see. It takes more than practice but game plays to get the timing down.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We're ****ed. Nobody else at Swarm has the stomach to say it through all the homerism.

We lost JT and DM, our 2 best players.

Buckle up.

Those losses didn't affect either line of scrimmage.

Depth on OL is thinner than we'd like but it could prove better than past years.

DL has to show it before I can trust it. Nothing much new here but the new guys stepping up have shown flashes of good things.

But I agree we have been dinged thus far in the preseason. Lose your best QB and BB simultaneously and you're foolish to expect no dropoff. There will be dropoff at those spots. Can everyone around them offset this?

UT will be an enlightening game. The same kind of barometer Notre Dame was in '15. Let's hope this one ends better for us this year.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
It's like people have forgotten the rest of 11 players that are out there on offense. We have Cooper at center who Johnson has been praising as possibly our best offensive lineman. Parker Braun who has had a whole off season to get better and if he's even taken a baby step forward he'll be giving Dline nightmares the week before and after our match up. Will an underrated piece of the line who seems to just quietly get better. We've got a cast of abacks who are more talent then the group that made a big impact in 2014. JJ Green, Searcy, Lynch, and Cottrell who has been having a hell of a camp. Stewart and Jeune who do nothing, but consistently making catches. They might not be the most explosive receivers, but they block well and catch in coverage consistently.

Yes, losing Mills is going to hurt, but you can't devalue the play makers we have throughout the rest of the offense. We still have a lot of scary options.