Fall Camp Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I still get a kick out of the fact that LJ has been pushing to start, and he'll probably play some against UT, but NO ONE has asked CPJ about him for a couple of weeks now. Wonder if CPJ put a ban on reporters asking questions about him.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
QB play was good across the board. TM was today and probably is the starter. LJ pushing. Jordan sat out.
Given the guess that TM is the starter , do you see enough out of the other QBs in practice that would warrant playing more than 1 QB during a close game ?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I still get a kick out of the fact that LJ has been pushing to start, and he'll probably play some against UT, but NO ONE has asked CPJ about him for a couple of weeks now. Wonder if CPJ put a ban on reporters asking questions about him.
Serious question. Do you think LJ will play against UT if it's a close game and TM starts?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Serious question. Do you think LJ will play against UT if it's a close game and TM starts?

I do. You don't get heavy first team reps if you're not going to play. But we'll see...I never took a class on tea leaf reading, so....:)

Still find it weird that this camp has been so secretive and cryptic.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I do. You don't get heavy first team reps if you're not going to play. But we'll see...I never took a class on tea leaf reading, so....:)

Still find it weird that this camp has been so secretive and cryptic.
I think you do get heavy 1st team reps when a coach is trying to figure out who will be the starter or if he thinks you might have a chance to start, he wants you getting comfortable with the 1st team. Imo that doesn't always mean you will get playing time, it just means the competition is close. I just don't think CPJ would pull a QB that is already warmed up in a close game JMO. But I respect your point of view.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think you do get heavy 1st team reps when a coach is trying to figure out who will be the starter or if he thinks you might have a chance to start, he wants you getting comfortable with the 1st team. Imo that doesn't always mean you will get playing time, it just means the competition is close. I just don't think CPJ would pull a QB that is already warmed up in a close game JMO. But I respect your point of view.

One thing I left out is this: The one trait LJ brings that TM, MJ, and JJ don't have is he's the best passer in the group (IMO). A poster reported that CPJ is concerned with MJ's passing thus far, and I don't think TM is that good of a passer either. This is a running offense, but we need to pass. CPJ isn't going to bring LJ in to just pass, but there are things he can do with LJ (midlines, QB follows, speed option, rocket toss) then pass off of that to make LJ a true threat running and passing. UT is going to be too athletic and fast. They will dare us to throw knowing they can bring 7-8 guys to the LOS. If we can't make them pay 1v1 on the outside, or with our ABs running the seams, it's going to be a LONG day.

That's why I think LJ will play. I think if TM or MJ were more capable passers, LJ probably does not see the field. Like I said, we'll see though....

dubjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If KB is bigger and faster than Mills we will be good! He will be back on Monday! CPJ will put us in the best position to win!

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds like MJs injury may be worse than initially thought if he didnt scrimmage.

TM sounds like he might be the guy. MJ just hasnt gotten enough healthy reps.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
One thing I left out is this: The one trait LJ brings that TM, MJ, and JJ don't have is he's the best passer in the group (IMO). A poster reported that CPJ is concerned with MJ's passing thus far, and I don't think TM is that good of a passer either. This is a running offense, but we need to pass. CPJ isn't going to bring LJ in to just pass, but there are things he can do with LJ (midlines, QB follows, speed option, rocket toss) then pass off of that to make LJ a true threat running and passing. UT is going to be too athletic and fast. They will dare us to throw knowing they can bring 7-8 guys to the LOS. If we can't make them pay 1v1 on the outside, or with our ABs running the seams, it's going to be a LONG day.

That's why I think LJ will play. I think if TM or MJ were more capable passers, LJ probably does not see the field. Like I said, we'll see though....
I could see this, but only if whoever starts (if it's not LJ) are not playing well. If it's close and they are playing well, no need to pull them out imo. Let them keep that chemistry going in a game.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like MJs injury may be worse than initially thought if he didnt scrimmage.

Or was asked to sit aside purposely, to not reaggrevate his shoulder so he can prep as #1 the next two weeks and paul wanted to see what the others could do ;)

Just one potential. I personally think tm is the starter though based on all i have heard. Its been criptic

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

At this point you may be right. If we just can't seem to get MJ healthy before the opener, I hope he takes all the time he needs to get 100%. This season is setting up to be an interesting one with all the uncertainty, and it may be that halfway thru, a healthy MJ takes back the reins. I guarantee he'll at least be able to play the same role he played last year.