Fall Camp Thread

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I like hearing Simmons had 2 sacks!

Back to the QBs...:)

IMO, I think if CPJ is seeing what he needs to from MJ yesterday, today, and this Saturday during the scrimmages, then MJ is starting. CPJ values experience. I wouldn't make too much out of one bad scrimmage from MJ last Saturday. CPJ has seen MJ the last 3+ years...he knows what MJ is and isn't. One bad outing doesn't erase 3+ years. However, if MJ is still affected by injuries and he's still shakey, TQM may be a real big factor come Tennessee. But I also think LJ is going to see time regardless. You don't give those valuable reps with the 1st team to someone who's not going to play. Right now, I think CPJ is grappling more with between starting TQM or MJ given MJ's coming back from injury. When CPJ said "I've known what I'm going to do for a while"...he's probably talking about those scenarios.
Don't forget Lucas could have been getting time with the 1's just for the simple fact that MJ and JJ were both out. That means TM and LJ were just rotation in and out with the 1's and 2's.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
As for QB it seems pj has a dilemma. MJ runs the o the best but continues to struggle passing and struggle is an understatement. Saturday will be huge for the 3 in the race.
Then he doesn't run the offense the best. From what I read he was struggling in other areas too.

Stinger21

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey guys. I don't post to often but thoroughly enjoy reading this message board. I keep up with the team just as must as the next fan, but I hardly ever have time to post. One question I've been wanting to ask though. Do y'all think our QB situation has anything to do with the Tenn gameplan? For example, weak corner play means we might start LJ. Soft interior DL might mean we start MJ. Any thoughts?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
As for QB it seems pj has a dilemma. MJ runs the o the best but continues to struggle passing and struggle is an understatement. Saturday will be huge for the 3 in the race.
Who would you say is running the offense the best from a balanced stand point, running and passing?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Hey guys. I don't post to often but thoroughly enjoy reading this message board. I keep up with the team just as must as the next fan, but I hardly ever have time to post. One question I've been wanting to ask though. Do y'all think our QB situation has anything to do with the Tenn gameplan? For example, weak corner play means we might start LJ. Soft interior DL might mean we start MJ. Any thoughts?

For that to work, the GT coaches would have to know what the TN deffensive plan is before the game starts. We won't know how they are going to defend until after one of the QBs starts the game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I doubt it, I think CPJ will play the best overall QB. He says something along the lines of, we just do what we do, we don't really have to prepare for another teams D because what we do is always the same. Of course he will study film and call plays that go against the opposing teams weakness (he's a master at this imo) but he will field the best overall QB.

Stinger21

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah good points. My two cents for what it's worth. I think MJ is the safe choice to start Sept 4. If he's not 100%, if probably expect to see a good dose of TM. I really just believe, based on prior seasons, CPJ will trot out the experienced QB before he goes with the more talented one. Just seems to be CPJ method of operation. Tevin over Vad. Vad over JT. As much as I'd love to see a mini Mike Vick out there, I'd love to see a 1-0 beside GT Tuesday morning.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tevin was as solid as you get and over a 2 year starter. Vad was not "settled" nor did he have all the plays down. The current situation is not the same.

TQM is closest to MJ in plays known and hours running the offense due to MJs injury. MJ has just over 2 full games worth of live play time and TQM almost none. Live fire means someting. As CPJ said, you have not done something until you show it on the field.

I still think Saturday will seal the deal. MJ will get a chance and TQM will need to show he is a step ahead. Ties go to MJ.

I still think LJ has a chance (and a large one). Jay will need some time to win the spot this year. Ties here go to TQM and MJ for game one.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has a reputation as a straight shooter, but he sure gets cryptic with the press, especially post practice. I think his no nonsense, straight talk rep comes from how he talks to recruits and players, he doesn't bs around with them. The press on the other hand....

CPJ on starting qb: "I've known for a while...but I could change my mind any minute..."

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Start whoever is the fastest turning the corner, without pitching, for 25 yards down the field; and also who is the fastest/ toughest to get on the ball behind the LOS on a screwed up pitch. A combo of those 2.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, LJ plays regardless. As a poster mentioned above, MJ is struggling with passing. TQM and JJ are not good passers at this point either. LJ is the strongest passer in the QB stable, and that's why he has been with the 1's...plus the fact that he seems to make big plays in the running game every practice. I think CPJ likes the skillset of LJ both running and passing, but isn't confident in letting a freshmen with zero snaps run the complete show in a high profile game against a tough SEC opponent.

I think either MJ or TQM starts, but both will NOT play. Whoever ends up starting will give way to LJ for a few series each half. I have no clue, but as I mentioned above, the battle may more about whether TQM or MJ plays at all.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
IMO, LJ plays regardless. As a poster mentioned above, MJ is struggling with passing. TQM and JJ are not good passers at this point either. LJ is the strongest passer in the QB stable, and that's why he has been with the 1's...plus the fact that he seems to make big plays in the running game every practice. I think CPJ likes the skillset of LJ both running and passing, but isn't confident in letting a freshmen with zero snaps run the complete show in a high profile game against a tough SEC opponent.

I think either MJ or TQM starts, but both will NOT play. Whoever ends up starting will give way to LJ for a few series each half. I have no clue, but as I mentioned above, the battle may more about whether TQM or MJ plays at all.
I'd love to see all 4 play. That would mean we're boat racing their arse!

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ on starting qb: "I've known for a while...but I could change my mind any minute..."

I honestly hope he has known for a while and split the reps accordingly with the 1s and the whole controversy is a decoy. If 3 guys or 4 guys are seriously still splitting reps this week then we lost a good deal of practice time and we are not a good enough team to waste time like that. I've seen this stuff at work before where a decision has to be made and the person responsible drags their feet hoping one choice separates itself making it easier. The world doesn't work that way, difficult decisions need to be made.

Hypothetically, let's say one of the freshmen gets the nod but they've been splitting time with the 1s with the other three guys. If that kid progressed enough this offseason to be the best with 25% of the reps, imagine the progress that they could make if they got three times as many snaps. MJ might have looked rusty in the scrimmage because everyone was playing musical chairs and he had a different set of guys around him every other day. You can know the offense like the back of your hand but having a rhythm with the backs and the center is something you only get with reps.

The qb controversy is good because guys push each other, but the coach needs to pull the trigger as soon as he can or at least whittle it down to 2 guys for most of summer. If this hasn't been a smoke screen and coach really has just been hoping things work themselves out until the last minute I'll be pretty disappointed in him.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's a bit entertaining how confident some of y'all are in who the starter will he or should be. Or even which frosh has the most upside.

I honestly have nothing more than a wild az guess. I think it will come down to MJ and TM. Whichever is playing best in the next 2 weeks. I suspect neither frosh plays. If so will this board melt down?