Fall Camp Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's a bit entertaining how confident some of y'all are in who the starter will he or should be. Or even which frosh has the most upside.

I honestly have nothing more than a wild az guess. I think it will come down to MJ and TM. Whichever is playing best in the next 2 weeks. I suspect neither frosh plays. If so will this board melt down?

If you're not going to partake in wild speculation then you're doing GTSwarm all wrong. :)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
IMO, LJ plays regardless. As a poster mentioned above, MJ is struggling with passing. TQM and JJ are not good passers at this point either. LJ is the strongest passer in the QB stable, and that's why he has been with the 1's...plus the fact that he seems to make big plays in the running game every practice. I think CPJ likes the skillset of LJ both running and passing, but isn't confident in letting a freshmen with zero snaps run the complete show in a high profile game against a tough SEC opponent.

I think either MJ or TQM starts, but both will NOT play. Whoever ends up starting will give way to LJ for a few series each half. I have no clue, but as I mentioned above, the battle may more about whether TQM or MJ plays at all.
J/w why do you say TM and JJ are not good passers? None of us have seen enough of JJ to know if he's good or not. And while I would generally agree on TM from what I have seen, he worked on that this summer and from other posters he looked really good throwing the ball on Saturday.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's a bit entertaining how confident some of y'all are in who the starter will he or should be. Or even which frosh has the most upside.

I honestly have nothing more than a wild az guess. I think it will come down to MJ and TM. Whichever is playing best in the next 2 weeks. I suspect neither frosh plays. If so will this board melt down?
I agree, I personally think TM will start but I could also see it being MJ. I don't get all the confidence in those who say this guy or that guy will play, especially when we haven't been at practices and we are just reading the tea leaves.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Been a bit silent. I just want to make sure folks get that what mj brings to the table in game 1 no other qb can, despite his ceiling may not be as high, he wont lose the game from the first snap and crushed it on the road on a big stage.

Now. Lets stop there.

Then injuries and actually rust has piled on.

Then another small injury.

But.

There are still almost 3 weeks.

So. Let me say this. I have heard what the deal is (although i personally not sure i believe this camp has been purposefully criptive). But. Sometimes you need to be sure as coaches. And in a tiebreaker. Other things matter when push comes to shove coaches go to comfort not what ifs.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I honestly hope he has known for a while and split the reps accordingly with the 1s and the whole controversy is a decoy. If 3 guys or 4 guys are seriously still splitting reps this week then we lost a good deal of practice time and we are not a good enough team to waste time like that. I've seen this stuff at work before where a decision has to be made and the person responsible drags their feet hoping one choice separates itself making it easier. The world doesn't work that way, difficult decisions need to be made.

Hypothetically, let's say one of the freshmen gets the nod but they've been splitting time with the 1s with the other three guys. If that kid progressed enough this offseason to be the best with 25% of the reps, imagine the progress that they could make if they got three times as many snaps. MJ might have looked rusty in the scrimmage because everyone was playing musical chairs and he had a different set of guys around him every other day. You can know the offense like the back of your hand but having a rhythm with the backs and the center is something you only get with reps.

The qb controversy is good because guys push each other, but the coach needs to pull the trigger as soon as he can or at least whittle it down to 2 guys for most of summer. If this hasn't been a smoke screen and coach really has just been hoping things work themselves out until the last minute I'll be pretty disappointed in him.
Uh. Duh

SlawDog

Banned
Yeah good points. My two cents for what it's worth. I think MJ is the safe choice to start Sept 4. If he's not 100%, if probably expect to see a good dose of TM. I really just believe, based on prior seasons, CPJ will trot out the experienced QB before he goes with the more talented one. Just seems to be CPJ method of operation. Tevin over Vad. Vad over JT. As much as I'd love to see a mini Mike Vick out there, I'd love to see a 1-0 beside GT Tuesday morning.
:cigar:

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Reminds me of a press conference during the Tevin/Vad year. CPJ was asked why he didn't just play Vad, because Vad looked exciting every series he was in. -- CPJ said something like, Vad only knew a little of the offense, and couldn't run anything else. He did well running that little bit, but if he stayed in defenses would adjust and he couldn't change it up with Vad in. -- Made me realize even more that the coaches know much more about not only the current abilities of the players, but also the current limitations.

I have nothing against Vad, nothing against Jordan, Johnson, Jones, or Marshall. I just know that I only know an extremely small percentage of the information that the coaches know. I'm not in a rush to know who the starting QB will be. I'll be happy watching them on 9/4.
This. Right here.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I suspect neither frosh plays. If so will this board melt down?

Depends on the outcome of the game.;) W will find out if CPJ is indeed a wily, salty old vet who masterfully staged this so called QB controversy to keep our QB's motivated and the UT coaches guessing. Or just an idiot.o_O All in one 60 minute game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Depends on the outcome of the game.;) W will find out if CPJ is indeed a wily, salty old vet who masterfully staged this so called QB controversy to keep our QB's motivated and the UT coaches guessing. Or just an idiot.o_O All in one 60 minute game.

I agree the board's reaction for the most part will be determined by W/L.

However, if we lose 36-32 in a 12 drive (each) game, then blaming the QB/Offense would be misguided imo.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree the board's reaction for the most part will be determined by W/L.

However, if we lose 36-32 in a 12 drive (each) game, then blaming the QB/Offense would be misguided imo.
Even if the offense is to blame, that doesn't mean it's the qb's fault. The O is like synchronized swimming, everybody has to play their part. We've seen many plays blown up by a missed assignment, poor execution or penalty by someone other than the qb.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Even if the offense is to blame, that doesn't mean it's the qb's fault. The O is like synchronized swimming, everybody has to play their part. We've seen many plays blown up by a missed assignment, poor execution or penalty by someone other than the qb.

I'm just thinking back to 2011 when our offense actually hummed pretty well, but Tevin got blamed for almost every loss it seemed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm just thinking back to 2011 when our offense actually hummed pretty well, but Tevin got blamed for almost every loss it seemed.
I agree and just wanted to add to your comment. The qb will get blamed for the offense or the defense not working. Playing college football qb is not for the faint hearted.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

it could be the 4-5 interceptions he threw on game winning drive chances late in the 4Q. We like to look back and remember things sometimes also better than they were too. Tevin was a solid serviceable QB and actually our O did ok...but it also didn't on many bigger games too, but under pressure I don't think it looked so good. thats what I remember too (now, the list below, I think is accurate, but someone can fact check it)
@vt in OT
Home Miami
vs UGA at UGA IIRC (did he throw 2 or one back to back in 4q?)
FSU in the title game

The crusher of these...is they were all 2 min scenarios where we really could have won the game.

All INT's; if a higher profile QB did this it would be choke artist discussion etc...but because our O is a bit passing limited...among other reasons I don't think it gets highlighted with him much

(BTW I am doing this from total fuzzy memory, so if I am wrong about any of the above correct me please, or add others if you recall)

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
MJ has definitely missed a ton of time in Spring and Fall camps...and I think that can play a role. My guess though is 1a: TQM, 1b: MJ. I think both will play against UT, and I think you won't see one of the other guys this year unless we aren't getting what we need out of either of these two. TQM will probably start with MJ coming in in goal line situations. The freshmen are talented for sure, but so are these two, and both of them have played.

I really don't see a situation where one of the juniors is the primary backup to the other...being in the same class really makes it hard to justify, especially when it's such a close race between everyone as it appears. Ideally you'd probably want 2 years of separation between your current starter and primary backup/future starter, so the backup can gain experience and take over the starting role when the current guy leaves. Having your top 2 QBs in the same class handcuffs you when those guys leave, since whoever is left probably only got mop-up action.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Been a bit silent. I just want to make sure folks get that what mj brings to the table in game 1 no other qb can, despite his ceiling may not be as high, he wont lose the game from the first snap and crushed it on the road on a big stage.

Now. Lets stop there.

Then injuries and actually rust has piled on.

Then another small injury.

But.

There are still almost 3 weeks.

So. Let me say this. I have heard what the deal is (although i personally not sure i believe this camp has been purposefully criptive). But. Sometimes you need to be sure as coaches. And in a tiebreaker. Other things matter when push comes to shove coaches go to comfort not what ifs.
You're about as good at walkin' back as a seasoned Washington career insider. ;) (Just messin' with ya, ol' buddy!)