Fall Camp Thread

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said Kenny might be the best OL men we have. That's a scary thought with a freshman all American to his left, and Will to his right. If you move Will to OT and Devine to RG for the UT game, that will be a recipe for Mills to have a HUGE day.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
JT, at times, would underthrow a WR streaking downfield. Hitting in stride would of course be preferred. But I prefer slight underthrows to slight overthrows. A WR can adjust to the former and still have a good chance to make a big play, not so much with regards to the latter.

In other words, I think some of those underthrows were hedges by design.
I loved JT as our QB. I am trepidacious about being able to replace him. That being said, many of his throws were not well placed, and many of his reads were late. I'm not putting him down, but his progression through reads and recognition of the open receiver was pretty slow. However, once he identified who he was going to throw to, his release was lightning quick.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree, but recognizing that Matthew Jordan was here last year and that he is still competing for the starting role as opposed to having clearly claimed it, it very strongly suggest a big step back at the QB position for this year. Now that doesn't automatically mean the position will be a dumpster fire. Just the opposite since CPJ has expressed confidence in the players competing to be the QB and has stated that he is much more concerned about other positions.

I'm not worried about the QB spot, but do think the OL will need to play to its potential to compensate for the step down at QB so that the offense can at least maintain its level of play from last year. I'm hoping the other skill positions can improve enough to cause the offense to play at a higher level than last year.

Talking about the QB is fun because that's the one of the premier positions in all of sports.

However, the OL will be what makes or breaks our offense. I'm concerned if we need to dig into our OL reserve. It doesn't matter who our QB is if his OL isn't doing their job. The backup OLs did no play well at all during the Spring. Hopefully they played better in the most recent scrimmage.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said Kenny might be the best OL men we have. That's a scary thought with a freshman all American to his left, and Will to his right. If you move Will to OT and Devine to RG for the UT game, that will be a recipe for Mills to have a HUGE day.
Mills sets up for an even HUGER day if they have to keep an eye out for MJ running the midline. ;)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I admire all these walk-on guys. They are an important part of the team. I am proud that GT treats them well and that CPJ has especial appreciation for them.

I can relate because I was undersized without great skills and spent two years on the scout team without PT. I never considered quitting. I loved the game and soaked in the coaching. What I learned on the scout team became invaluable when I decided to coach (25 years) and I would not trade that experience for anything. I did finally get to play my SR year but I would have stuck it out regardless and held my head high anyway. I enjoyed being a part of the team that much.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Practice No. 12: Wednesday, Aug. 16

THE FLATS --Georgia Tech football endured the hottest practice of the season and saw four Yellow Jackets rewarded for their dedication to the program on Wednesday.

Practice Details:
With temperatures in the 90s and a heat index creeping into triple-digits, Georgia Tech cut practice back to 21 periods for the second-straight day. Wednesday's two-hour workout was conducted in full pads after the team donned shells on Tuesday.

Plays of the Day:
In the first 11-on-11 period of the afternoon, things started out well for the defense when junior linebacker Victor Alexander forced a fumble that was recovered by senior safety Shaun Kagawa on the very first play. However, the offense controlled the action for the much of the rest of the period, highlighted by long runs by sophomore B-backs Dedrick Mills and Quaide Weimerskirch and redshirt freshman quarterback Lucas Johnson.

Practice concluded with an 11-on-11 red-zone period that featured the offense starting with the ball on the defense's 20 yard line. Junior quarterback TaQuon Marshall ran for a touchdown during the period but thanks to big tackle by junior defensive lineman Anree Saint-Amour and a third-down sack by sophomore defensive back Christian Campbell, the defense forced back-to-back field goals to close the afternoon.