Fall Camp Thread

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It's crazy how hard he dropped off after a really good true freshman year. I thought we'd for sure see him on Sundays, but now I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him lose the starting job.

He might be a case where gaining weight HURT him.He played as Fr at like 225,now 250.
I LOVED him coming out of hi school but the 2 plays that I remember most from last yr were--- charging at the BC QB for sack but getting juked by this 250lb QB and not TOUCHING him and the eager over-run at Pitt when a 300 OTackle scored on a throw-back pass. Just didn't make enough plays.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Could be, I can't recall how good Laskey was after his first two weeks of practice

Laskey actually ran back kick-offs as Fr.Hard to believe that we burned his shirt for some of that with at least 6 other running backs on the team.THEN---NOT having him (as a Sr)in '15 was a major part of the team problem.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
So 3 weeks ago QB was a position he was least worried about. Now he's cutting everything off. Should we be worried about the QB situation going into Labor Day night??

I think you're reading that wrong. I believe the "cutting off access" is to allow him to make these decisions without being constantly asked about it and providing too much info to our opponent. It'd be one thing if we were opening with a 1AA team, but this is a real opponent that we don't need to give anything away. It sucks for us fans that want to know everything, but it's absolutely the right move for the team.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
So 3 weeks ago QB was a position he was least worried about. Now he's cutting everything off. Should we be worried about the QB situation going into Labor Day night??

Kind of the opposite. Johnson hinted in the post scrimmage press conference that he wanted only the team to know who was going to be the starting qb game 1. With less press access it's less likely that qb 1 gets leaked until right before gameday giving Tennessee as little time to prepare as possible.

Jordan - Have to prepare for a heavy dose of midline and mostly the ab taking it out wide.
Marshall- More balanced look can go out wide and inside
Jones- Able to spread the field the best with his speed.
Johnson- Great passing arm as well strong runner.

The qb is like deciding what kind of bbq sauce you want still great meat, but a game changer on flavor.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Good question--but I look at it this way.He probably does have a problem.He is not sure who will play MOST vs UT. (could play a 2nd guy also). BUT,he can use this situation to CONFUSE uT.They then don't know who to expect. Make the best of "bad" situation.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
This is exciting. We are in this position because people are pressing hard to be the guy and make the team better, not because we can't find someone. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to install a very limited playbook with 2 QBs on the field. CPJ is going all in here. We have a chance to be special.

SlawDog

Banned
Is this a little editorializing byKelly? Did CPJ say he was cutting access because of the QB situation or did Kelly just throw that in?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Laskey actually ran back kick-offs as Fr.Hard to believe that we burned his shirt for some of that with at least 6 other running backs on the team.THEN---NOT having him (as a Sr)in '15 was a major part of the team problem.
Hindsight is 20/20. In my mind, you always play for today first and 4 years down the road later. If we needed help on returns and he could provide it, put him out there. Would I have loved having him in 2015? Sure, but I understand why we didn't. If a kid has potential but doesn't make you better today, then by all means, give him a shirt. If however, he does make you better, well, the fans and teammates deserve our very best that season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hindsight is 20/20. In my mind, you always play for today first and 4 years down the road later. If we needed help on returns and he could provide it, put him out there. Would I have loved having him in 2015? Sure, but I understand why we didn't. If a kid has potential but doesn't make you better today, then by all means, give him a shirt. If however, he does make you better, well, the fans and teammates deserve our very best that season.

No, clearly, when you have a guy you're going to use to return kicks and who you've moved to safety because he doesn't make depth at running back, you bite the bullet an RS him because you know he'll be your best bet at BBack in 5 years.o_O

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Reduction in access has nothing to do with QB battle. It has to do with beginning our prep for Tennessee game. Paul said we would set the depth chart and begin practicing game plan for Game 1 this week.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
CPJ doesn't seem more competitive than normal to me. He just seems like he is in his sweetspot. He is the underdog to a "mighty" SEC team and he likes being in that position. Paul always wants to win.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I almost would bet money it will be LJ with that tweet. Freshman QB doesn't need anymore distractions