Fall Camp Thread

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Anyone have an injury report update? Just wondering if it was a starter that got hurt and might miss Tenn game

I'm just as curious as you are about that remark. I can't blame you for asking at all.

But, even if someone did-- they shouldn't post it on here. Whether people understand why or not, Paul guards injury info carefully. I put that in the category of "team information" that they'll release only when they are ready to. And, only as much as they feel is wise to release.

Many times, I have seen an injury happen. Or, known that a player was injured. You've never seen me post about it here.
What @DrJacket says is 100% right. Injuries are guarded very closely in every program, and for a lot of good reasons. Injury reports by media members or anyone not officially affiliated with the program are usually one-way tickets to having closed practices, so unfortunately you won't get an answer to your question besides having to wait and see. If the injury is severe enough (such as in Tariq Carpenter's case where he required surgery and won't be back until October), the program will generally disclose it. At this point though, I don't think there's much of an issue and not something to worry about

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I think CPJ was talking about Branch also. But, that is a little confusing because Pelton said in his recent interview that Branch had put on some good weight. Maybe "slimmed down" and "put on some good weight" are compatible.
Last I heard, Branch was reporting 280. IIRC that was over a month ago, so he could've lost some.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Last I heard, Branch was reporting 280. IIRC that was over a month ago, so he could've lost some.

Its hard to believe it is not Mills who himself and CPJ mentioned his weight gain and subsequent weight loss and improvement in quickness. Mills who CPJ called Chubb (and Green little Chubb) said he got up to 242 pounds in the offseason with poor eating but had worked and dieted to get down to 214 pounds to start Camp where he feels much quicker.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From what I gather, a LOT of our players have dropped "bad" weight and gained "good" weight so a good portion of the guys look trimmer.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Can someone please tell me why we have not tried to add 15 pounds onto Johnson and move him to LB?
Man our defensive backfield is stacked. Austins, Simmons, Durham, Gray, Griffin...now Johnson is stepping up, Kagawa is trying to make a move, plus the highly touted incoming freshmen. If any of the young guys get in the rotation, you know they've earned it.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Everyone is "gaining bad weight?" I don't believe it, more likely bulking and lifting heavy in the offseason, and then cutting down to be trim and agile for the season.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Man our defensive backfield is stacked. Austins, Simmons, Durham, Gray, Griffin...now Johnson is stepping up, Kagawa is trying to make a move, plus the highly touted incoming freshmen. If any of the young guys get in the rotation, you know they've earned it.
Seriously, this is the deepest DB group I've seen since following GT football.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Can someone please tell me why we have not tried to add 15 pounds onto Johnson and move him to LB?

Even without weight change I would like to see him in the game for coverage on those third downs we are having trouble with. A little better use of our personnel might help our third down situation.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
If we moved him at this point, he'd have to not only gain the weight without losing his speed and athleticism (no guarantee), but he'd also have to relearn the intricacies of the linebacker position, his assignments, and several other complications. As he said himself, at this point he feels like he's comfortable and knows everything that he needs to go out there and just play hard and fast. At this point as a junior, it's not worth it to move him since there's no guarantee he'll even step on the field at that spot. Makes no sense, especially since he's a pretty much a lock to start at nickle next season

There's also the issue with depth, in that we have a fairly short 2-deep of experience in the secondary, whereas we have a plethora of experience in the linebacker corps. We'll be fine, but it makes far more sense to leave Johnson in the secondary

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
It's not an awful thing to have depth, either. It's nice to be able to give your guys a blow, and have the position not fall apart. Johnson seems like the utility infielder of the secondary, a guy who can come in at any position, and probably end up playing just about as many snaps as a starter, when you combine his snaps at all 3 positions.

Keeps everybody fresh.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If we moved him at this point, he'd have to not only gain the weight without losing his speed and athleticism (no guarantee), but he'd also have to relearn the intricacies of the linebacker position, his assignments, and several other complications. As he said himself, at this point he feels like he's comfortable and knows everything that he needs to go out there and just play hard and fast. At this point as a junior, it's not worth it to move him since there's no guarantee he'll even step on the field at that spot. Makes no sense, especially since he's a pretty much a lock to start at nickle next season
I'm asking why it hasn't happened before now, we've been hurting at LB for a while now. Also I disagree that it would be pointless to move him this late in his career, guys get moved quite often and even at the NFL level. I'm not saying we need to do it though, I was just asking.