Fall Camp Post Practice

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
And they got to play Boston College every year for their permanent crossover game. We got to play Clemson (and UGA) every year. That makes an additional 8 or 9 game swing on the respective won loss records.

Wait, I thought we were talking about Tennessee, who are you talking about?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Very encouraged by what he says about team progress.

He clearly doesn't understand what CPJ was doing, though. His discussion of player-driven vs system was nonsense.

We went out and got tight ends. We had guys shift to tight end from other positions. Why? Because his system uses tight ends.

We immediately began teaching OL to play from 2pt rather than 3pt. Why? Because his system is based on that approach.

His player-based approach is adjusting within the system based on personnel. CPJ did the same thing.

His ignorance in this area is concerning.

I can see why this narrative irks you, but why "concerning"? It's not his job to understand the previous offensive and recruiting philosophy. It's his job to understand the current one.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I can see why this narrative irks you, but why "concerning"? It's not his job to understand the previous offensive and recruiting philosophy. It's his job to understand the current one.

It's his job to understand football.

Don't dismiss the fact that I began by expressing that I am encouraged by what else he says.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We are 46th in winning percentage during that time period. If you stripped out FCS games we’d be even lower since we played more than most teams (two of them in two separate seasons). That’s fairly solidly mediocre.

Your hate for CPJ is obvious. Every team plays FCS teams. If we adjusted every schedule for FCS teams we'd probably still be in the same ballpark, Which is solidly upper third FBS.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude had some high praise for Malachi Carter. Also seems to be persistent on the refrain that we have good dual threat quarterbacks, not option QBs. We'll see how it all comes together. The key are OL and QB being able to bring things together at game speed.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude had some high praise for Malachi Carter. Also seems to be persistent on the refrain that we have good dual threat quarterbacks, not option QBs. We'll see how it all comes together. The key are OL and QB being able to bring things together at game speed.
I really think this team will be better then most think. If we can stay away from injuries. And see how they react to their first loss.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
There is not much difference scheduling FAU, Miami OH, Eastern Michigan compared to The Citadel or SCSU

Check out Ohio State's schedule in 2018 and then you can start dancing with excuses.

My post was in response to "Every team plays FCS teams". No, they don't.

Eastern Michigan, for example, was 7-6 last year, including a win over Big 10 Purdue. I believe there is more than "not much difference" between them and El Cid or SC State.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Check out Ohio State's schedule in 2018 and then you can start dancing with excuses.

My post was in response to "Every team plays FCS teams". No, they don't.

Eastern Michigan, for example, was 7-6 last year, including a win over Big 10 Purdue. I believe there is more than "not much difference" between them and El Cid or SC State.
App State best number 1 Michigan well before they were a FBS team. There are examples for both arguments. Y’all are both wrong.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
You understand the coach doesn't make the schedule? You got what you wanted to let the hate go.

You understand that the coach has influence over the schedule?

I don't hate Johnson. I give him credit for what he is. He is without peer when it comes to designing and installing run blocking, and adapting run blocking on the fly. If I was a head coach looking for an OC, I'd like to have him.

But when in the last 11 years did we have a good defense? Special teams would leave you scratching your head-like the two run backs against USF that likely cost us the game. Multiple choice question: He was 20-7 his first two years and 12-12 his last two years. Did he forget how to coach or was the talent level lower because of subpar recruiting? The NFL draft answers that question.

Johnson was the head coach, and he was responsible for defense, ST and recruiting. HC, not just OC. He was above average at the latter and below average at the former.

I came to the conclusion in 2011 that Johnson didn't work as hard as other P5 coaches, notably our own Bobby Ross and George O'Leary. That conclusion was confirmed in a conversation I had with a former GTAA employee about 3 years ago, who was at the GTAA when O'Leary was there. Johnson was concerned about his precious offense, and not so much about defense, ST or recruiting.

Only people who have an irrational love for Johnson would say that I hate Johnson. I just look at the facts. But I guess love is irrational by definition, so call me a hater and I will call you an irrational lover.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
App State best number 1 Michigan well before they were a FBS team. There are examples for both arguments. Y’all are both wrong.

That was an outlier that happened many years ago. We also tied Alabama one year and lost every other game. What does that prove?