Fall Camp Post Practice

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Why make them take classes if that's true?
Because it's college football you really think if you go 2-9 recruits would want to come here? I'm talking about the 4 and maybe 5 star players. Not the ones who have offers from Middle Tenn or the smaller schools. And yes wins matter that is the reason coaches get paid.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
One year will not be adequate, though. As I’ve said in this forum numerous times, it will take a minimum of five years—through 2023–to validate or invalidate Coach Collins’s performance as a head football coach.
I agree with you, I just don’t think it will take five years to validate or invalidate cgc. We finished 2nd in the division last year, it’s not like we were dead last with only one conference win and it is a huge rebuild. We aren’t SMU after the death penalty.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Because it's college football you really think if you go 2-9 recruits would want to come here? I'm talking about the 4 and maybe 5 star players. Not the ones who have offers from Middle Tenn or the smaller schools. And yes wins matter that is the reason coaches get paid.
Well..,as someone said HS kids aren’t stupid. They want to see that we are making the transition and moving to the style of play we are talking about. If we show the direction and keep the intensity and positive vibe even if we s aren’t winning as much as we would like, I don’t think it would hurt recruiting. What might is if we can’t show glimpses of what we intend to be.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
For CGC to keep the momentum trend rising, we have to win 6+ games this year, and make sure we are not embarrassing in our losses. Some recruits for 2020 may have already "bought in" based on the staff, but I would highly doubt very many. It will be a wait and see approach. As so many of you know, our front 7 on D will be super important to our chances of winning 6+, and we still have talent/depth questions in the front 7.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Agree on this. It is always funny to me people who say he is talking a big game, he better back it up. What do you think will happen if he doesn’t talk a big game? That if he underperforms he will get more time? It’s better to be positive and talk a big game all the time. It’s marketing and branding in today’s world, where people have so many options, they won’t hear you at all. This mentality of being afraid to say what you expect or want out loud is week.
I guess some are hearing things I have not. I have not heard him say anything other than the players are working hard and they are buying in to what they coaches are doing. Other than that he said we had the best recruiting class the year he was here and he sees no reason why we can't. If I missed something other than that I would like to know. All I'm saying he has done the 1st part of his job very well. The 2nd part is coaching in the games putting the players in position to win ( but that could also be on the players) To keep his job easier on recruiting a winning record would help we don't have to go 15-0 but 7 win would help. Less than 6 could hurt .

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well..,as someone said HS kids aren’t stupid. They want to see that we are making the transition and moving to the style of play we are talking about. If we show the direction and keep the intensity and positive vibe even if we s aren’t winning as much as we would like, I don’t think it would hurt recruiting. What might is if we can’t show glimpses of what we intend to be.
I agree in part all I'm saying is less than 6 wins could hurt and put us another year behind

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I agree in part all I'm saying is less than 6 wins could hurt and put us another year behind
As I see it, the problem lies with the schedule next year... It is brutal! We could actually have a really good team next year and have a losing season. If we have a bad season this year because of the coaching change, and then have a bad season next year because of the schedule, it could put the program off track for years to come... We really need to have a 7-8 win season THIS year and maintain some momentum, because we may not reach that next year...

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, I’m patient ... probably more patient than some may be in this forum.

My thinking on five years as a minimum, is based primarily on the fact that CGC’s first (2019) recruiting class will be either seniors or redshirt juniors in 2023.

Then over this same 5-year period, the players recruited for the football roster over the following years will shake down as follows:

2020 recruits will be either juniors or redshirt sophomores for the 2023 season.

2021 recruits: either sophomores or redshirt freshmen in 2023.

2022 recruits: either true freshmen if they get on the field in 2023; or otherwise redshirted for that year.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
For CGC to keep the momentum trend rising, we have to win 6+ games this year, and make sure we are not embarrassing in our losses. Some recruits for 2020 may have already "bought in" based on the staff, but I would highly doubt very many. It will be a wait and see approach. As so many of you know, our front 7 on D will be super important to our chances of winning 6+, and we still have talent/depth questions in the front 7.

I don’t think this is true at all. I think you’re projecting your way of viewing things onto 17 year olds. He’s selling a rebuild/rebrand and early playing time.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
As I see it, the problem lies with the schedule next year... It is brutal! We could actually have a really good team next year and have a losing season. If we have a bad season this year because of the coaching change, and then have a bad season next year because of the schedule, it could put the program off track for years to come... We really need to have a 7-8 win season THIS year and maintain some momentum, because we may not reach that next year...
I really have not looked at the schedule next year I'll take your word it's bad

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think this is true at all. I think you’re projecting your way of viewing things onto 17 year olds. He’s selling a rebuild/rebrand and early playing time.
He is giving his opinion like anyone else , no one at this time can prove what would happen if we win less than 6 games right now it only an opinion

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
You certainly get the feeling they're coaching kids to play with effort, hope that is enough to overcome newness of systems and any shortage of personnel we might have.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

IMO, baring the opening game, the early season schedule sets-up pretty well ... USF-Citadel-Temple-UNC should all be winnable and starting out 4-1 would provide much needed confidence going into the Duke game, which then I would think is also winnable.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't think anyone has posted this yet:

5 observations from Georgia Tech’s first practice of the preseason
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ractice-the-preseason/3ONwMFwSANxSufxic3c9yH/

As was the case in the spring, practice moved at a brisk pace. In an 11-on-11 session, the ball was being snapped about twice every 60 seconds, and there were two groups running plays at either end of the practice field. Coaches have stressed the importance of getting a high volume of practice repetitions for players in order to evaluate them and get them trained in the schemes.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Tennessee has been mired in a decade of mediocrity and yet still brings in top 20 recruiting classes.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee has been mired in a decade of mediocrity and yet still brings in top 20 recruiting classes.

Good point. And I was cruising the Syracuse boards during Bryce Gowdy's commitment, and they are lamenting that they are still pulling in 3 stars only, coming off of a 10 win season. Winning certainly helps, no doubt about it, but there is a perception thing, too, that isn't totally dependent on winning and losing. I also happen to think good recruiters can recruit, regardless.