Fall Camp Post Practice

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Good point. And I was cruising the Syracuse boards during Bryce Gowdy's commitment, and they are lamenting that they are still pulling in 3 stars only, coming off of a 10 win season. Winning certainly helps, no doubt about it, but there is a perception thing, too, that isn't totally dependent on winning and losing. I also happen to think good recruiters can recruit, regardless.
This issue has come up before, and I think it is that one great season doe snot turn things around for you in recruiting. However, put together 3 or 4 great seasons in a row, and now the perception changes.....

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Very encouraged by what he says about team progress.

He clearly doesn't understand what CPJ was doing, though. His discussion of player-driven vs system was nonsense.

We went out and got tight ends. We had guys shift to tight end from other positions. Why? Because his system uses tight ends.

We immediately began teaching OL to play from 2pt rather than 3pt. Why? Because his system is based on that approach.

His player-based approach is adjusting within the system based on personnel. CPJ did the same thing.

His ignorance in this area is concerning.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

He clearly doesn't understand what CPJ was doing, though. His discussion of player-driven vs system was nonsense.

We went out and got tight ends. We had guys shift to tight end from other positions. Why? Because his system uses tight ends.

We immediately began teaching OL to play from 2pt rather than 3pt. Why? Because his system is based on that approach.

His player-based approach is adjusting within the system based on personnel. CPJ did the same thing.

It’s not ignorance. It’s the way they are choosing to market and brand themselves.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Gardner-Webb 2008 suggests otherwise.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Key question: as the offensive coordinator for Georgia Tech, can Patenaude match Ralph Friedgen’s record?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Calling that mediocrity is quite generous. We’ve been mediocre. They have been bad.

They've been inconsistent. Their win % since 2008 is .489 so right below mediocre. GT's is .580, which is pretty good for P5 football. Lots of teams would have killed to have our records over the past 10+ years. We call it "mediocre" because we want more. I would say we have been mostly good, occasionally great, and had a singularly bad season under CPJ.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
They've been inconsistent. Their win % since 2008 is .489 so right below mediocre. GT's is .580, which is pretty good for P5 football. Lots of teams would have killed to have our records over the past 10+ years. We call it "mediocre" because we want more. I would say we have been mostly good, occasionally great, and had a singularly bad season under CPJ.
I agree but there are a few on here that the hate for one man they can see things.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

We are 46th in winning percentage during that time period. If you stripped out FCS games we’d be even lower since we played more than most teams (two of them in two separate seasons). That’s fairly solidly mediocre.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yet they still beat us when we played them

We won 5, they won 6 out of the last 11 years. At least one of those they won was very questionable. They extended their drive to go ahead based on a NON-helmet to helmet contact when they had failed to convert on a 4th and long play.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Good to hear about Graham, sounds like he's pretty confident he will be eligible again. I'm a little concerned that if he isn't #1 or #2 at QB, he may not be as receptive about switching positions to WR, but we will just have to see how things shake out.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

And they got to play Boston College every year for their permanent crossover game. We got to play Clemson (and UGA) every year. That makes an additional 8 or 9 game swing on the respective won loss records.