Extension Agreement

Animal02

Banned
Contract negotiations are just so much back and forth......I have been working on a deal with Ford Motor going on 2 years......every time you change a sentence it goes back to the other lawyers for 3 weeks. And both our and their lawyers go through the posturing. (I swear lawyers do that just to run up the fees) That fact is that they will get this done in a few weeks

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I have heard now 3x on the post game interview, on 680 interview and the radio show last night - when discussing the UGA program Johnson has repeatedly said something to the effect of if you "if you look around the stadium Saturday , its impressive what they have, 90,000 fans...." "everything in place that you could possibly want to have a successful football program.." "its a machine". etc.

I have no inside knowledge but would doubt that this is about simply getting Johnson a raise, I think he is looking for commitment from Georgia Tech to give him what he needs to compete and is very purposefully making these comments about how the University of Georgia has that commitment to football success.

I respect that he is pushing the AD (and the hill) for the necessary investments: (recruiting, money for assistants, exceptions?). We need him to be successful in this. Now's the time...

/

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
I respect that he is pushing the AD (and the hill) for the necessary investments: (recruiting, money for assistants, exceptions?). We need him to be successful in this. Now's the time...

Agree completely. I think the correct way to digest this information is to ask how much do you trust/respect CPJ? He was part of, then in charge of, the machine that is GA Southern Football. I've always been impressed with their alumni. Even people who are not big sports/football fans seem to have a vested interest and allegiance to GSU football. That doesn't happen by accident.

I have all the respect in the world for CPJ and genuinely think he can build the same product here at Tech, but to do so he has to have the buy-in of Mbob and the the Hill. He has more leverage right now than he probably will ever have and think a win for CPJ is a win for GaTech Football and GaTech athletics as a whole...we'll see.

In the meantime, I'm still loving this season. Can't wait to have a shot at FSU and see what happens. Go Jackets!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is a coaching contract...far simpler than a business contract between different entities. These things can and should get done quickly. Continue to wrangle and you send the message that you don't value CPJ. It's telling.

Hugh Friese just got extension and raise...for $4mil a year. Coaching salaries go up every year....our delay has likely cost us more money. So great job with the delay. Mbob rolled the dice and crapped out.

This ain't rocket science. Either you value our coach as an elite coach and pay him accordingly...or you don't. If you don't both sides will part ways.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Keep his base salary the same, give him really large bonuses for beating UGA or any top 10 team, winning the acc coastal, and the acccg, then give him twice the budget that he currently has for assistant coaches and to double the recruiting staff.

Animal02

Banned
Keep his base salary the same, give him really large bonuses for beating UGA or any top 10 team, winning the acc coastal, and the acccg, then give him twice the budget that he currently has for assistant coaches and to double the recruiting staff.
Disagree........bonus for beating particular teams is a really bad idea......bonus for benchmarks is fine (think of the outcry if he held out banged up players in the Clemp game with the coastal on the line so that he would have a better chance beating UGAG and getting the bonus)
I like the current incentives that are in his contract. Perhaps a some "roll over" type bonuses......like increases in the incentive bonus for consecutive years..........increase the bonus from the baseline for every year Tech is bowl eligible....increase the bonus for every consecutive year he meets the graduation benchmark etc.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think that is already in his present contract.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Matter of fact, he gets bonuses for: Beating GA, winning the Coastal, winning the ACC, winning the NC, ACC Coach of the Year, graduating certain % of players, and all kinds of other stuff. Saw a list one time. It is public record.

Animal02

Banned
Matter of fact, he gets bonuses for: Beating GA, winning the Coastal, winning the ACC, winning the NC, ACC Coach of the Year, graduating certain % of players, and all kinds of other stuff. Saw a list one time. It is public record.
No bonus for beating UGAG nor for winning the Coastal.

E. EXEMPLARY PERFORMANCE
In recognition of the fact that exemplary performance by the intercollegiate football team
produces both tangible and intangible benefits for the Association and the Georgia Institute of
Technology by focusing favorable, public attention on the Association and the Georgia Institute
of Technology, and in further recognition of the additional work and sacrifice of Coach to
prepare and participate in a pre-season or post-season bowl game, the Association shall pay
additional compensation to Coach in each year of this Contract in which any of the following
events occur:
1. Coach shall be paid an additional One Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Dollars
($125,000) for each season in which the Georgia Tech football team achieves a Graduation
Success Rate of seventy percent (70%), as calculated by the NCAA according to their criteria;
2. Coach shall be paid an additional incentive for achieving athletic performance goals as
follows regarding APR Rates (not cumulative);
Greater than or equal to 930 $25,000
Greater than or equal to 940 $50,000
Greater than or equal to 950 $75,000
3. Coach shall be paid an additional Two Hundred Thousand Dollars ($200,000) for
being the ACC Champion in a season in which the Coach participates and completes the season;
4. Coach shall be paid an additional Seventy-Five Thousand Dollars ($75,000) for each
season in which the team and the Coach participate in a bowl game. This amount shall be
increased to Two Hundred Thousand Dollars ($200,000) if said post-season game is a Bowl
Championship Series (BCS) game;
5. Coach shall be paid an additional Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000) for each bowl
win;
6. Coach shall be paid an additional Two Hundred Fifty Thousand Dollars ($250,000)
for a BCS national championship;
7. Coach shall be paid an additional Twenty-Five Thousand Dollars ($25,000) for any
season in which he is selected ACC Coach of the Year by the following media outlets: ACC
Football Writers, AP, USA Today, College Football Writers Association, ESPN.com,
FOXSports.com. Coach can only earn a maximum of $25,000 for any given season under this
provision. It is non-cumulative;
8. Coach shall be paid an additional Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000) for each year in
which he is selected the Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year or the National Coach of the
Year by the following media outlets: ACC Football Writers, AP, USA Today, College Football
Writers Association, ESPN.com, FOXSports.com. Coach can only earn a maximum of $50,000
for any given season under this provision. It is non-cumulative;
9. Coach shall be paid an additional Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000) in any season in
which the Georgia Tech football team is ranked in the Top 25 at any time during the regular
season by the following polls: AP, Coaches, BCS, Harris, or Coach shall receive Twenty-Five
Thousand Dollars ($25,000) for any season in which the Georgia Tech Football Team is ranked
in the Top 25 in the final regular season poll according to the following media outlets: AP,
Coaches, BCS, Harris, or,
Coach shall be paid an additional Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000) if the Georgia Tech
football team is ranked in the Top 10 in the final season rankings after the bowl games according
to the BCS, AP or Coaches poll. It is understood and agreed that in any year the Coach will
receive no more than Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000) for the ranking of the Georgia Tech
football team in any given season.
10. It is understood and agreed that any incentives earned under Article III E shall be
paid as follows: The first Two Hundred Thousand Dollars ($200,000) of incentives earned shall
be paid on January 30th of the next year following the season in which they are earned and any
remaining incentives earned by Coach shall be paid on May 30th of the year following the season
in which they are earned.
11. It is understood and agreed that there is no cap on the total value of the incentives Coach
may earn in any given year. It is expressly understood and agreed that in order for Coach to
receive any of the aforementioned bonuses pertaining to participation in post-season bowl
games, the Coach must have served as Head Coach in the preparation for and participation in
said bowl game.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
No bonus for beating UGAG nor for winning the Coastal.

E. EXEMPLARY PERFORMANCE
In recognition of the fact that exemplary performance by the intercollegiate football team
produces both tangible and intangible benefits for the Association and the Georgia Institute of
Technology by focusing favorable, public attention on the Association and the Georgia Institute
of Technology, and in further recognition of the additional work and sacrifice of Coach to
prepare and participate in a pre-season or post-season bowl game, the Association shall pay
additional compensation to Coach in each year of this Contract in which any of the following
events occur:
1. Coach shall be paid an additional One Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Dollars
($125,000) for each season in which the Georgia Tech football team achieves a Graduation
Success Rate of seventy percent (70%), as calculated by the NCAA according to their criteria;
2. Coach shall be paid an additional incentive for achieving athletic performance goals as
follows regarding APR Rates (not cumulative);
Greater than or equal to 930 $25,000
Greater than or equal to 940 $50,000
Greater than or equal to 950 $75,000
3. Coach shall be paid an additional Two Hundred Thousand Dollars ($200,000) for
being the ACC Champion in a season in which the Coach participates and completes the season;
4. Coach shall be paid an additional Seventy-Five Thousand Dollars ($75,000) for each
season in which the team and the Coach participate in a bowl game. This amount shall be
increased to Two Hundred Thousand Dollars ($200,000) if said post-season game is a Bowl
Championship Series (BCS) game;
5. Coach shall be paid an additional Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000) for each bowl
win;
6. Coach shall be paid an additional Two Hundred Fifty Thousand Dollars ($250,000)
for a BCS national championship;
7. Coach shall be paid an additional Twenty-Five Thousand Dollars ($25,000) for any
season in which he is selected ACC Coach of the Year by the following media outlets: ACC
Football Writers, AP, USA Today, College Football Writers Association, ESPN.com,
FOXSports.com. Coach can only earn a maximum of $25,000 for any given season under this
provision. It is non-cumulative;
8. Coach shall be paid an additional Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000) for each year in
which he is selected the Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year or the National Coach of the
Year by the following media outlets: ACC Football Writers, AP, USA Today, College Football
Writers Association, ESPN.com, FOXSports.com. Coach can only earn a maximum of $50,000
for any given season under this provision. It is non-cumulative;
9. Coach shall be paid an additional Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000) in any season in
which the Georgia Tech football team is ranked in the Top 25 at any time during the regular
season by the following polls: AP, Coaches, BCS, Harris, or Coach shall receive Twenty-Five
Thousand Dollars ($25,000) for any season in which the Georgia Tech Football Team is ranked
in the Top 25 in the final regular season poll according to the following media outlets: AP,
Coaches, BCS, Harris, or,
Coach shall be paid an additional Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000) if the Georgia Tech
football team is ranked in the Top 10 in the final season rankings after the bowl games according
to the BCS, AP or Coaches poll. It is understood and agreed that in any year the Coach will
receive no more than Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000) for the ranking of the Georgia Tech
football team in any given season.
10. It is understood and agreed that any incentives earned under Article III E shall be
paid as follows: The first Two Hundred Thousand Dollars ($200,000) of incentives earned shall
be paid on January 30th of the next year following the season in which they are earned and any
remaining incentives earned by Coach shall be paid on May 30th of the year following the season
in which they are earned.
11. It is understood and agreed that there is no cap on the total value of the incentives Coach
may earn in any given year. It is expressly understood and agreed that in order for Coach to
receive any of the aforementioned bonuses pertaining to participation in post-season bowl
games, the Coach must have served as Head Coach in the preparation for and participation in
said bowl game.
It's odd that the payment of the incentives over $200,000 are deferred until May 3oth. I don't know much about contracts, but that just stuck out to me.

Animal02

Banned
It's odd that the payment of the incentives over $200,000 are deferred until May 3oth. I don't know much about contracts, but that just stuck out to me.
If things haven't changed......that is around the time of the start of the fiscal year. Many budgets are "zero based" meaning any money not spent is "lost"
(we always had a problem at DramaTech......our show always ended the last week of May...and we had to spend all the receipts before the end of the FY.......so dead week ...back when it was quarters....was a spending spree)

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree completely. I think the correct way to digest this information is to ask how much do you trust/respect CPJ? He was part of, then in charge of, the machine that is GA Southern Football. I've always been impressed with their alumni. Even people who are not big sports/football fans seem to have a vested interest and allegiance to GSU football. That doesn't happen by accident.

I have all the respect in the world for CPJ and genuinely think he can build the same product here at Tech, but to do so he has to have the buy-in of Mbob and the the Hill. He has more leverage right now than he probably will ever have and think a win for CPJ is a win for GaTech Football and GaTech athletics as a whole...we'll see.

In the meantime, I'm still loving this season. Can't wait to have a shot at FSU and see what happens. Go Jackets!

Don't forget the legacy at Navy. It's easy to forget that when he went there, they were 1-20 over two seasons and pundits were calling for Army, Navy and Air Force to be moved down to the FCS. We take Navy for granted now as a tough out for whoever they play, and as talented as their current coaches are they're still running the same system.

gtduck

Georgia Tech Fan
If things haven't changed......that is around the time of the start of the fiscal year. Many budgets are "zero based" meaning any money not spent is "lost"
(we always had a problem at DramaTech......our show always ended the last week of May...and we had to spend all the receipts before the end of the FY.......so dead week ...back when it was quarters....was a spending spree)
While that's true for state funds, I don't think it's true for the AA since they are a separate organization from Tech (technically) and aren't funded by tax money. It could still be around the time of their FY (Tech's ends July 30), but they shouldn't have a "use it or loose it" deal.

Animal02

Banned
While that's true for state funds, I don't think it's true for the AA since they are a separate organization from Tech (technically) and aren't funded by tax money. It could still be around the time of their FY (Tech's ends July 30), but they shouldn't have a "use it or loose it" deal.
I agree the AA as a separate corp is probably not zero based.....the memory of having to spend all that money at that correlated. I remember walking into a supply house and telling the salesman that I needed a receipt for 5K in equipment (1980 dollars) ...whether he had it in stock or not....and asking "what deal can you make" As a 20 y.o. at that time.......I thought I was big ****.

There is probably some financial issues like "end of the year" for the AA that makes them want to do large payouts at that time.