Extension Agreement

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Locking PJ into a new contract earlier wouldn't have made a hill of beans difference. After beating UGA and Clemson, and possibly winning the ACC, that new contract would have been ripped up and they would have had to start all over anyway. This process was going to happen one way or another. I hope PJ gets everything he wants, but I'm glad MBob didn't jump the gun on anything and get foolish like DaBraine would have!! They'll lock him in. If they don't I'm dropping my season tickets! As far as helping/hurting recruiting. It obviously didn't hurt anything up to this point b/c this is the best class he's had. It could, however, cause some problems in the coming month or two if they drag their feet. Get 'er done MBob!!
Ah. Someone who has actually negotiated a contract, I see. If you have leverage, you'll rip them up just like paper towels. My wife, the labor attorney, laughs out loud when she hears people on tv talking about contracts as if they are the 10 Commandments.

This is going to cost Tech some real money, but, like I said before (I also got this from her), if the parties want a deal, nothing they hear from the lawyers will stop it. They do, so they will.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
this is getting ridiculous guys...serious...everyone is overreacting so much. Contract extensions mainly, almost every time, come after the season is over.

everyone is doing the hewitt Dance right now. It is just true. I am not saying paul will end up like hewitt, but by gosh since we beat UGA now this is such a big damn priority. To the point where everyone is throwing the AD under the bus for no reason other than their own aingst.

No one was REALLY pressuring this topic in the fanbase until this win. Period. Some were talking about doing it. Its coming, soon, most everyone agreed after the season was over.

If we lost to UGA, no one STILL would be pressuring this topic.

Yet now everyone is acting like their hair is on fire and it has to happen in 2 days LOL.

EVERYONE BREATHE.

Paul got an offer. That means MBob had been working on the topic for a while. Not 3 hours ago.
#2 - whether paul likes it or not is up to him. OF COURSE his agent is going to posture
#3 - no one really knows how far apart they are or not. Guys like Greg Garrett, and donors, some friends of paul, they don't even know the true details. You really think paul is going to give that update to them in LIVE NEGOTIATIONS? Come on man.
#4 - Paul wants to be here, hell after the UGA game he told the sideline reporter I am 2-2, i'll be back...
#5 - GT will have every chance to resign him and if pauls requests are so unreasonable to GT then he probably wanted to go anyway. Alot of ways to spin how you leave to the public.

Sure, if a team comes in an offers him 5million a year he may be gone. He will get bought out by them, but I don't think he is hunting for that; and i also don't see that happening. Like it or not, too many still polarized by his O

Breathe folks, breathe. Alot of overreaction and discontent for an AD who is simply doing his job and doesn't feel the need to negotiate in public. Good for him.
Agree with everything you said. If he didn't want to be here, we would probably already hear about it. Another angle about this is that Johnson isn't going to devote time that he could spend preparing for FSU on a contract. His agent is handling this.

CPJ said this morning (@1230 east coast) on 680 that he hadn't seen the contract, and that his agent might have it.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Ah. Someone who has actually negotiated a contract, I see. If you have leverage, you'll rip them up just like paper towels. My wife, the labor attorney, laughs out loud when she hears people on tv talking about contracts as if they are the 10 Commandments.

This is going to cost Tech some real money, but, like I said before (I also got this from her), if the parties want a deal, nothing they hear from the lawyers will stop it. They do, so they will.

employment contracts hold a ton of water in the state of georgia. its what its in the contract that defines whether or not you "can rip them up". now, no super agent would ever sign something that locks down a client, but who would've thought Tech (with representation) would sign a Hewitt contract?

i see what you're saying, but if MBob had signed something with CPJ post Clemson that was fair, chances are CPJ and co. aren't going to come back and play hardball after a very close uga victory. that's not good business, especially when you're going to need all parties to play nice for the remainder of the contract.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
employment contracts hold a ton of water in the state of georgia. its what its in the contract that defines whether or not you "can rip them up". now, no super agent would ever sign something that locks down a client, but who would've thought Tech (with representation) would sign a Hewitt contract?

i see what you're saying, but if MBob had signed something with CPJ post Clemson that was fair, chances are CPJ and co. aren't going to come back and play hardball after a very close uga victory. that's not good business, especially when you're going to need all parties to play nice for the remainder of the contract.
He definitely should have gotten it done then. I'm sure this isn't the first time that he had written up a contract (or his staff). He should have been able to write it up pretty fast.

thwgjacket

Hey guys just wanted to post an update because I started this thread. When I said an extension was agreed upon I meant that CPJ told MBob what he wanted and MBob agreed to give it to him. This is what I was told and Eric's guy told him pretty much the same thing. I've since been told that CPJ wants to be at Tech and that an extension will happen. I've been told MBob doesn't understand why an extension effects recruiting but he does want to give an extension. I've been told there are a few particulars that are holding the process up but that an extension will be agreed upon sometime after the FSU game. Almost no chance it gets done this this week. Contracts take time to form and be reviewed. I apologize if anyone inferred from my post that a hard copy of an agreement had been agreed upon. Was not my intention to imply that.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
If we were a factory school we would have multiple people on suicide watch every year with our coaches being mentioned in every job opening

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
In CPJs case he will likely retire after this next contract is up. We know where we stand with CPJ after 7 years. We need to get this done and get to work making our successful year translate into picking up some more recruits.

Animal02

Banned
In CPJs case he will likely retire after this next contract is up. We know where we stand with CPJ after 7 years. We need to get this done and get to work making our successful year translate into picking up some more recruits.

I think it will depend a little on how happy CPJ is in 7 years.....if things are rolling he may stick around because he obviously enjoys winning.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hope you guys are all correct. I think CPJ likes it here. I think Mbob feels the pressure to retain CPJ. That's fine and well and indicates this gets done barring an unforeseen circumstance.

If tech low balls CPJ and someone outside comes in and offers jimbo / petrino money....I'm not convinced CPJ wouldn't seriously consider it. I would and I grew up loving Tech.

The fact that Mbob doesn't get the negative recruiting aspect blows my mind a little.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Just to add a bit more perspective. Schultz has been putting CPJ on a hot seat for 2-3 years now. Then we are not even a full year away from the CBS Sports guys kerfuffle tweet that CPJ was unhappy and wouldn't mind if the donors forked over to buy him out. MBob and CPJ squelched that story. I always suspected that some jerk asked CPJ something like "what do you think about Tech fans that are restless and even want you fired?" To which he responded "good for them, they can go ahead and just buy me out then. It ain't hard." You know, something pugnacious like that.

Anyway, my only rule is to not make a contract "auto-renew"; feel free to decide at the end of each season to tack on another year. But no auto-rollover insanity.

That Schultz article is full of serious innuendo about bad blood between MBob and CPJ that I have never seen any evidence of myself from any other source or lead into this article. And from a guy who has had no problem doing his part to actually suggest or even foment that CPJ can't cut it here, is on a hot seat legitimately, and certainly could deserve to be fired going into this season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just to add a bit more perspective. Schultz has been putting CPJ on a hot seat for 2-3 years now. Then we are not even a full year away from the CBS Sports guys kerfuffle tweet that CPJ was unhappy and wouldn't mind if the donors forked over to buy him out. MBob and CPJ squelched that story. I always suspected that some jerk asked CPJ something like "what do you think about Tech fans that are restless and even want you fired?" To which he responded "good for them, they can go ahead and just buy me out then. It ain't hard." You know, something pugnacious like that.

To be fair, Schultz isn't the only one that had CPJ on the hot seat, especially before the season. You just need to rewind and go back to this summer and read the threads on this board.

The good thing is CPJ squashed all that with a 10-2 season, beating our most hated rival (IN Athens!), and a chance to win an ACC Championship this weekend. When you win like this, it buys you a lot of good will...especially at a school like GT.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow there's a lot if bad info in this thread. Ajc article, come on Shultz. Just have patience everyone, we'll know when there's something to know. These talks didn't start with the uga game or some news article, they won't end that way either.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
A contract like this takes time to work out. Both sides have to "play along"...it is just part of the process. We need to remember that M. Bob needs to represent GT correctly in these negotiations. We don't need anymore D Rad contracts. I know we are all ecstatic right now, including me, but we don't want to be handcuffed by an emotional contract in 3 years. I believe this will all work out.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
this is getting ridiculous guys...serious...everyone is overreacting so much. Contract extensions mainly, almost every time, come after the season is over.

everyone is doing the hewitt Dance right now. It is just true. I am not saying paul will end up like hewitt, but by gosh since we beat UGA now this is such a big damn priority. To the point where everyone is throwing the AD under the bus for no reason other than their own aingst.

No one was REALLY pressuring this topic in the fanbase until this win. Period. Some were talking about doing it. Its coming, soon, most everyone agreed after the season was over.

If we lost to UGA, no one STILL would be pressuring this topic.

Yet now everyone is acting like their hair is on fire and it has to happen in 2 days LOL.

EVERYONE BREATHE.

Paul got an offer. That means MBob had been working on the topic for a while. Not 3 hours ago.
#2 - whether paul likes it or not is up to him. OF COURSE his agent is going to posture
#3 - no one really knows how far apart they are or not. Guys like Greg Garrett, and donors, some friends of paul, they don't even know the true details. You really think paul is going to give that update to them in LIVE NEGOTIATIONS? Come on man.
#4 - Paul wants to be here, hell after the UGA game he told the sideline reporter I am 2-2, i'll be back...
#5 - GT will have every chance to resign him and if pauls requests are so unreasonable to GT then he probably wanted to go anyway. Alot of ways to spin how you leave to the public.

Sure, if a team comes in an offers him 5million a year he may be gone. He will get bought out by them, but I don't think he is hunting for that; and i also don't see that happening. Like it or not, too many still polarized by his O

Breathe folks, breathe. Alot of overreaction and discontent for an AD who is simply doing his job and doesn't feel the need to negotiate in public. Good for him.

My only issue with any of this is that weeks ago there seemed to be more speculation about expanding the recruiting office as a rider in the contract. Now it seems to be more about salary and b.s. between the departments. CPJ has got to push hard for the new recruiting staff, because a continued resurgence in recruiting is what can take his program over the top. Johnson can then retire after a few more ACC Championships or, more likely, take a BIG payday to bring his offense to a program like Texas or Florida.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So what kind of numbers would you guys like to see? I'd like to see 3m/yr for 7 yrs. 3.5 mil to distribute toward assistant coach salaries / yr. And whatever it reasonably takes to staff 5-6 assistants for recruiting.

Is that all on the high end? Ya, but it is in line with our competition and what is needed to be competitive. One thing to keep in mind. Our small fan base does not lend itself to providing our coach with the marketing (pickup / car sales commercials) opportunities that other programs provide for their head coaches. I'm not saying our HC annual salary needs to compensate for this, but we should probably keep it in mind when we compare our apples n oranges.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
While it is true that the marketing opportunities for car dealer commercials are not as plentiful as other schools that are located outside of a major metropolitan area like Atlanta, but CPJ should be brought in by the State Department of Education for some opportune media spots. After all, he is the only coach in a Power Five Conference to utilize a High School offense.

Maybe a spot or two for HOPE Scholarships, and stay in school, or better yet: A recruiting plug telling all High School players in Georgia that if you enjoyed running that offense for the past four years, just wait until you get to operate it at full strength on the Flats and compete for Championships and a spot in the NCAA Playoffs.

Greenjackets

Georgia Tech Fan
I have heard now 3x on the post game interview, on 680 interview and the radio show last night - when discussing the UGA program Johnson has repeatedly said something to the effect of if you "if you look around the stadium Saturday , its impressive what they have, 90,000 fans...." "everything in place that you could possibly want to have a successful football program.." "its a machine". etc.

I have no inside knowledge but would doubt that this is about simply getting Johnson a raise, I think he is looking for commitment from Georgia Tech to give him what he needs to compete and is very purposefully making these comments about how the University of Georgia has that commitment to football success.