Extension Agreement

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
@potato....I've been saying extend him for a while. Before Clemson btw. It aint about being over hyped following Ugag win. It's about recognizing top flight coaching ability and locking it down long term. Doing so in a manner that won't hamstring our recruiting. And Mbob take on that has been alarming.

and you'd be right, you'd be right on all accounts and you look even more right now based on our win against Clemson and UGA.

Believe it or not, I like what's happened now more than if he signed earlier, and CPJ will too. He will absolutely get more of what he wants, and I believe what he wants is in the best interest long term for our program. I do not believe what he wants is what Paul Hewitt wanted...

Oh, but good lord, this is such a better conversation than the alternative. Allelujah, in the next couple months we can turn our attention back to what matters; recruiting, religion, and politics.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shultz just updated his report on MyAJC...sounds like we could hear about an agreement soon. Makes sense because recruiting is about to heat up and GT needs to arm CPJ with all the tools, which includes contractual stability.

Maybe it's just me, but it's starting to sound like CPJ and MBob have a very "keep it professional" relationship...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Schultz, like his Hogan's Heroes namesake, knows nothing. He turned the same basic nothing he had on his blog into story for deadline and tweeted it out.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Shultz just updated his report on MyAJC...sounds like we could hear about an agreement soon. Makes sense because recruiting is about to heat up and GT needs to arm CPJ with all the tools, which includes contractual stability.

Maybe it's just me, but it's starting to sound like CPJ and MBob have a very "keep it professional" relationship...
Sure hope its close. Would really ruin a great year if they can't get it worked out. Plus, they need to get this over with before Nebraska starts calling.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
What an f'n joke.

He submitted his first contract extension offer to Johnson’s agent Monday, after saying nothing to his head coach for months and leading many in and around the Tech program to wonder what was taking him so long to make a decision

There was a big swell of support early in this season for extending his contract? I remember everyone wanting to see how this season played out before extending him.

Bobinski, whose impersonal, close-to-the-vest style has been a contrast to predecessor Dan Radakovich and has caused some discomfort for many in the athletic department,

Many? Really? Who?

This article is short on facts and long on speculation even by the AJC's standards.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Agree about the shoddy journalism flounder. As for many? The poll here....weeks and weeks ago....displayed a strong majority in favor of keeping CPJ here long term.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
jack reale needs to cool his jets. if mbob was holding out on the outcome of uga and clemson, well he got his pants pulled down and and is now on the receiving end. that is the gamble mbob wanted to make, and he lost...oh well, that's business, got to be prepared for every outcome. now he's got to do work. if CPJ blows out FSU, then that price tag may jump a bit as well. the pressure is on, everyone knows it especially MBOB.

However, why Jack Reale had to take it public is beyond me, it sours everything to be honest. Typical lawyer.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Updated Schultz article

Boy did Schultz take CPJ's side in this. I have nothing to say Bobinski is good or bad, but this is a real indictment of Bobinski.

I think the vast majority of people, myself included, we not in favor of giving CPJ a big extension based on the last three years performance. I wasn't in favor of getting rid of him early after looking at the last 70 years of GT football, but I wasn't ready to say we should make the same mistake we did with Hewitt.

But since then CPJ has put together a great recruiting class and a great season. Definitely need an extension. I was hoping that CPJ would keep the same base salary, get bigger incentives for winning and get more money for his assistants. That's a win, win, win.

One factual error in the article, O'Leary also has a higher winning percentage (64% from 53-30) than CPJ at 63%. But another year like this one and CPJ will pass O'Leary. Just saying that O'Leary was a great coach too. Too bad he tried to go to ND; even though he did that I still like him too.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
Locking PJ into a new contract earlier wouldn't have made a hill of beans difference. After beating UGA and Clemson, and possibly winning the ACC, that new contract would have been ripped up and they would have had to start all over anyway. This process was going to happen one way or another. I hope PJ gets everything he wants, but I'm glad MBob didn't jump the gun on anything and get foolish like DaBraine would have!! They'll lock him in. If they don't I'm dropping my season tickets! As far as helping/hurting recruiting. It obviously didn't hurt anything up to this point b/c this is the best class he's had. It could, however, cause some problems in the coming month or two if they drag their feet. Get 'er done MBob!!

slugboy

Staff member
Disagreeing isn't a bad sign--it can be a sign that they're talking seriously. Important conversations usually have disagreements. Hearing that they're a mile apart isn't the best news.

Schultz isn't butthurt. He may or may not have his facts straight, but what he wants is news. CPJ delivered that this year.

Just spend another day basking in the win and enjoying it. At most, this only happens once a year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
this is getting ridiculous guys...serious...everyone is overreacting so much. Contract extensions mainly, almost every time, come after the season is over.

everyone is doing the hewitt Dance right now. It is just true. I am not saying paul will end up like hewitt, but by gosh since we beat UGA now this is such a big damn priority. To the point where everyone is throwing the AD under the bus for no reason other than their own aingst.

No one was REALLY pressuring this topic in the fanbase until this win. Period. Some were talking about doing it. Its coming, soon, most everyone agreed after the season was over.

If we lost to UGA, no one STILL would be pressuring this topic.

Yet now everyone is acting like their hair is on fire and it has to happen in 2 days LOL.

EVERYONE BREATHE.

Paul got an offer. That means MBob had been working on the topic for a while. Not 3 hours ago.
#2 - whether paul likes it or not is up to him. OF COURSE his agent is going to posture
#3 - no one really knows how far apart they are or not. Guys like Greg Garrett, and donors, some friends of paul, they don't even know the true details. You really think paul is going to give that update to them in LIVE NEGOTIATIONS? Come on man.
#4 - Paul wants to be here, hell after the UGA game he told the sideline reporter I am 2-2, i'll be back...
#5 - GT will have every chance to resign him and if pauls requests are so unreasonable to GT then he probably wanted to go anyway. Alot of ways to spin how you leave to the public.

Sure, if a team comes in an offers him 5million a year he may be gone. He will get bought out by them, but I don't think he is hunting for that; and i also don't see that happening. Like it or not, too many still polarized by his O

Breathe folks, breathe. Alot of overreaction and discontent for an AD who is simply doing his job and doesn't feel the need to negotiate in public. Good for him.