Extension Agreement

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow
We sit among players' parents in 109. It pisses me off to hear idiots criticize players in real life; the same courtesy should be extended online. I do not visit hart's site for that reason alone.

Tech was hard enough as a student. Adding in a NCAA football obligation? Impossible. These guys deserve respect, 9-2 or 2-9.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
http://www.usg.edu/regents/members
I count 8 dwags out of 19 seats. I see a few new faces on the Board. They had 11 in Feb. So, they no longer have a complete majority. They need two non-dwags to get past 50%. Or just have 4 members not show up.

Tech's count upped from 2 to 3 seats since Feb.

Previous diversity on the BoR: 2 white women, 1 black man, and 16 white men.
Current diversity on the BoR: 2 white women, 1 black man, 1 Indian man, and 15 white men.

Here's my post from Feb 7, 2014: http://gtswarm.com/threads/espn-mischief-once-again.1787/page-3#post-33538

No. You said Tech has repeatedly tried to get these majors and was denied by the BoR.

New majors are in fact initiated by the individual schools.

If you can, please give a link or proof of these specifics majors that GT, having gone through the proper process, has tried to get in place and was denied by BoR.

We all can easily look up the makeup of the BoR. That does not prove a specific degree program was requested by GT and denied by BoR.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Are people looking for new majors or augmenting certain ones to not need a certain amount of calculus & computer science? What majors are we talking about adding if we could?

As far as exceptions go, I believe MBob stated we got every single one we wanted in the last class.

No. You said Tech has repeatedly tried to get these majors and was denied by the BoR.

New majors are in fact initiated by the individual schools.

If you can, please give a link or proof of these specifics majors that GT, having gone through the proper process, has tried to get in place and was denied by BoR.

We all can easily look up the makeup of the BoR. That does not prove a specific degree program was requested by GT and denied by BoR.

New majors are indeed initiated by the individual schools, but they must be approved by the BOR. Homer Rice attempted to get a couple of sports-related majors added at Tech (Sports management was one, I believe). The requests were denied by the BOR.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When I checked - GT is a research school and uga is ALL other.
They are going to approve course addition in accordance with the previous.

If they alloed major change , the state of Georgia would have in Gt a highly acclaimed , academically challenging and broadly based institution (Stanford) in ATLANTA.

Of course the BOR can't have that so close to the "you all come" university in athens.

Conversation requesting this goes something like this - after our hat in hand hill folks make their pitch

Side bar begins here----

" you tech boys ain't going to be like no Stanford of the south.

But sir they have a famous research institute and lots of great graduate programs and still the state schools do great.

Please mister BOR All tech means to do is to attracts us some excellent talent from through out the world in classes besides engr. We are sure not going change your fine school at uga causes Wez gona stay small. Not big like u

Sirs, we just want more small classes to teach.

Tech boys - that was some fine idea you brought up - We will set up a study group to plan a group to figure out how study this away.

But sir we have one thing too - we kind like to have us some more courses in technical sports management - you know like hiesman, Dodd, broyles, rice. We could even have classes modeled after coach Dooley - you know he was a math professor who turned your football program around.

You gt boys wanted one thing MORE so no soup for you - depart - funding cut to follow

"The moral of the little side bar is extreme jealousy in an insecure person is a sad trait that can only be displayed badly.If you go to the game you will experience it in spades."
THWG

Last edited:

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I would say that if one broadened the academic curriculum just for the purpose of increasing attendance of a certain class of student athletics, then you compromise the academic integrity of your institution.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I would say that if one broadened the academic curriculum just for the purpose of increasing attendance of a certain class of student athletics, then you compromise the academic integrity of your institution.

you broaden your curriculum if you feel its in the best interest of the school and mission. When you do that, the standards of admission are the same as with the rest of the school to whomever wants to major in it, both SA and non-SA. It gives more options for high school kids regardless of if they are an athlete or not.

For the SA's its another option, and they may want to go to tech now.

We let in SA's well and far below the schools' standard, both in GPA and SAT currently. It hasn't tarnished anything....i think this whole notion is overblown. Its not who is in the school that tarnishes it. Its how the school reacts/treats them. GT makes the SA's do the classwork for the most part (even here we aren't perfect). UNC treated them as hired hands, fake majors, fake this fake that. That is a school problem. That isn't because they admitted dumb SA's. It was a way for them to ensure they got top talent by promising they didn't need to do school work. That is a school problem

and you know what. THAT still won't tarnish the schools reputation. If that doesn't...nothing will...Its still a great school for the 98% who truly go there.

I think this whole academic tarnish argument is off base; there is nothing wrong with expanding majors, you do it not because or just for SA's, but you do it for your overall school and it helps the latter too. And if one reason or motivation for expansion starts out due to better athletics, thanks OK. Thats part of the school too; a big part. It can't be the sole reason...but there is nothing wrong with it being a reason.

Just my opinion

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
When I checked - GT is a research school and uga is ALL other.
They are going to approve course addition in accordance with the previous.

If they alloed major change , the state of Georgia would have in Gt a highly acclaimed , academically challenging and broadly based institution (Stanford) in ATLANTA.

Of course the BOR can't have that so close to the "you all come" university in athens.

Conversation requesting this goes something like this - after our hat in hand hill folks make their pitch

Side bar begins here----

" you tech boys ain't going to be like no Stanford of the south.

But sir they have a famous research institute and lots of great graduate programs and still the state schools do great.

Please mister BOR All tech means to do is to attracts us some excellent talent from through out the world in classes besides engr. We are sure not going change your fine school at uga causes Wez gona stay small. Not big like u

Sirs, we just want more small classes to teach.

Tech boys - that was some fine idea you brought up - We will set up a study group to plan a group to figure out how study this away.

But sir we have one thing too - we kind like to have us some more courses in technical sports management - you know like hiesman, Dodd, broyles, rice. We could even have classes modeled after coach Dooley - you know he was a math professor who turned your football program around.

You gt boys wanted one thing MORE so no soup for you - depart - funding cut to follow

"The moral of the little side bar is extreme jealousy in an insecure person is a sad trait that can only be displayed badly.If you go to the game you will experience it in spades."
THWG
You all come is giving them too much credit. It's y'all come.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
His latest rant on the AJC was to blame Tech fans for Snoddy's injury, because, according to him, we were happy that Watson got injured and were openly expressing our hopes that Gurley and Chubb would get hurt. It was by far the most inappropriate and offensive post I have ever read by anyone on any blog. The guy is a total POS !!!
Hahaha that fella needs Jesus, Muhammad, and Buddha. As the ol' proverb goes, hataz gonna hate.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
New majors are indeed initiated by the individual schools, but they must be approved by the BOR. Homer Rice attempted to get a couple of sports-related majors added at Tech (Sports management was one, I believe). The requests were denied by the BOR.

I assume you mean that Rice went to the Administration to get these majors added? No way in heck Rice himself went to the BoR to get academics changed.

So, again, I would like to see proof that an appropriate official from GT went to the BoR asking to have specific majors added and they were turned down by the BoR.

Not some assumptive tales based on # of gaggers on BoR, not some tales based on whiney notions (not saying you are doing that), but proof that GT went through all the steps to add these majors that could help us in this area we are talking about and were turned down by the BoR.

Now if some idiots on the Hill, or some anti athletic GT men put an end to such movement because they think their degree will suddenly be worthless if GT wins more football games - that I believe.

And if such is true - it has nothing to do with BoR.

I assume you mean that Rice went to the Administration to get these majors added? No way in heck Rice himself went to the BoR to get academics changed.

So, again, I would like to see proof that an appropriate official from GT went to the BoR asking to have specific majors added and they were turned down by the BoR.

Not some assumptive tales based on # of gaggers on BoR, not some tales based on whiney notions (not saying you are doing that), but proof that GT went through all the steps to add these majors that could help us in this area we are talking about and were turned down by the BoR.

Now if some idiots on the Hill, or some anti athletic GT men put an end to such movement because they think their degree will suddenly be worthless if GT wins more football games - that I believe.

And if such is true - it has nothing to do with BoR.

My understanding, and I repeat UNDERSTANDING, was that "The Hill" approved the majors that Rice wanted. Obviously, Rice did not go to the BOR, so if indeed "The Hill" approved, then someone from the Tech admin had to take the case to the BOR, where it was voted down. I am sure that whatever happened is well documented somewhere. It's not important enough to me now to do a search. It WAS, however, the BOR that approved the Engineering School in Athens, notwithstanding the lack of need for one there.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
My understanding, and I repeat UNDERSTANDING, was that "The Hill" approved the majors that Rice wanted. Obviously, Rice did not go to the BOR, so if indeed "The Hill" approved, then someone from the Tech admin had to take the case to the BOR, where it was voted down. I am sure that whatever happened is well documented somewhere. It's not important enough to me now to do a search. It WAS, however, the BOR that approved the Engineering School in Athens, notwithstanding the lack of need for one there.

I understand your understanding, and appreciate the response.

But to this point, still no documented proof.

Squint

Georgia Tech Fan
Trying to paste link from phone....
Just do a Google search on ga board of regents votes to add engineering

Last edited:
I understand your understanding, and appreciate the response.

But to this point, still no documented proof.
I tried finding what the requests that Rice made were, but I can't find them. Apparently some of what he requested finally made it into the Tech curriculum over the past 2 or 3 years, but I definitely remember other things being vetoed by someone somewhere, presumably the BOR. Living in Augusta, I am well aware of how nefarious the BOR is in dealing with any state institution other than the one in Athens. They did their best, and are still attempting, to move the Medical College of Georgia from Augusta (where it has been for 100+ years) to Athens. They also changed the name of Augusta State University to Georgia Regents University, despite having financing a national study on name preference, which showed a predominant preference for keeping "Augusta" somewhere in the name. They are not to be trusted.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What AugustaJacket says.....

The moderators of this site have effectively banned the jerks like him, and more and more of us from the AJC blogs are migrating here
As I told you before, I was always very proud you were a Tech fan for the consistent way you stood up to bullies on that comment section while representing Tech in the best possible light. I never had the energy to do that but thought it was important because for some future athletes it is the only place they will get information to form an opinion about Tech. Certain sociopaths are counting on impacting young people and poisoning their opinons and have made a cult like vow to engage in a perpetual insurgency against Atlanta and one of its proudest traditions.

As I told you before, I was always very proud you were a Tech fan for the consistent way you stood up to bullies on that comment section while representing Tech in the best possible light. I never had the energy to do that but thought it was important because for some future athletes it is the only place they will get information to form an opinion about Tech. Certain sociopaths are counting on impacting young people and poisoning their opinons and have made a cult like vow to engage in a perpetual insurgency against Atlanta and one of its proudest traditions.
I appreciate your continued kind remarks. I TRY not to respond to the creeps like WnE, but sometimes it is more than I can bear. Fortunately, I am not alone, and, in fact, there are others who I think do a much better job of countering his hatred-filled posts than I do.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow

I wanted to add to the shoutouts to Eric as well as regular posters for making this the best Tech forum on the inter tubes.

I am a long time lurker, but wanted to chime in with some personal info. Having been on the Student Govt. executive in the past decade, it was openly discussed that the BOR was unwilling to allow Tech new non-engineering majors. I believe Clough wanted to add more non-engineering majors (completely unrelated to football, but because he thought we needed more rounded graduates) but it wasn't gonna happen.

It is almost impossible to find documented proof of this, because you usually knew whether your request (including for major additions) would be approved well before you placed a request, by simply asking the BoR members. No one requested things which would get declined. For indirect evidence of this process, look at the Actions PDFs at http://www.usg.edu/regents/meetings/date/2010 (I chose 2010 because that seems to be the last year the USG breaks out the actions, which are easier to read) and you will see that almost nothing is ever declined (I skimmed through the top 3-4 PDFs and there were 0 denied/declined). At the very least, those links are evidence that BoR approval is required to add new majors.

So while it is hearsay, if you talk to the people who work on these things, I bet a lot of them will second the idea that Tech wants (or at least wanted to a few years back when Clough was President) to add majors, but knew the BoR wouldn't allow it.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
^^
Also, hey ee buddy.

I wanted to add to the shoutouts to Eric as well as regular posters for making this the best Tech forum on the inter tubes.

I am a long time lurker, but wanted to chime in with some personal info. Having been on the Student Govt. executive in the past decade, it was openly discussed that the BOR was unwilling to allow Tech new non-engineering majors. I believe Clough wanted to add more non-engineering majors (completely unrelated to football, but because he thought we needed more rounded graduates) but it wasn't gonna happen.

It is almost impossible to find documented proof of this, because you usually knew whether your request (including for major additions) would be approved well before you placed a request, by simply asking the BoR members. No one requested things which would get declined. For indirect evidence of this process, look at the Actions PDFs at http://www.usg.edu/regents/meetings/date/2010 (I chose 2010 because that seems to be the last year the USG breaks out the actions, which are easier to read) and you will see that almost nothing is ever declined (I skimmed through the top 3-4 PDFs and there were 0 denied/declined). At the very least, those links are evidence that BoR approval is required to add new majors.

So while it is hearsay, if you talk to the people who work on these things, I bet a lot of them will second the idea that Tech wants (or at least wanted to a few years back when Clough was President) to add majors, but knew the BoR wouldn't allow it.
I can't say a lot because I can be identified personally from what I've posted here, but I know this to be true today.

Also, don't forget that Southern Poly is being merged into KSU, where I'm certain the engineering technology programs will flourish and not at all be neglected and cannibalized in the search for academic respect of a rapidly growing institution.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Fellas, all this arguing is going nowhere. New major are not going to be added to tech as far as any one of us know. This is why CPJ has requested a larger recruiting staff. This will allow GT to find the best athletes with the ability to complete and compete at tech. I for one can get behind that. Keep the integrity of our degrees while finding ballers inside the classroom and on the field.