Extension Agreement

Animal02

Banned
What an awful way to run a state university system. Just saying.
It is better than what they have here in Michigan......the major schools each have their own board......so the schools compete against each other and the other smaller state schools. They have been busy that last few years opening up branches all over.....across the street from each other offering the same programs.....what a c.f.

I think having one board is smarter.......but there should be one rep. from each school and then at large from districts around the state equal to 1/2 to 2/3's of the number of school reps. That would keep one school from dominating the board.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Shortly after his arrival at Tech, I sent him a rather lengthy letter (not an email) presenting to him a problem I was aware of that I thought he might be able to address. He responded to me within 3 days (although by email), and shortly after that the problem had been addressed. Unfortunately, the same problem arose again later, and I wrote him once again. His response was, "I thought we had resolved that issue." Again he responded within 3 days, and within a month the problem had been PERMANENTLY resolved. I emailed DRad once with an interesting Tech-related photo I had taken in Moscow while on vacation there. He NEVER responded, not even with a simple "thank you." Obviously MBob is tops in my book.
I found the audio link. It is an interesting one since it starts with the Bruce Feldman "CPJ wants a buyout" talk. But at the end is where he answers on Petrino.
http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=87&c=672&f=2290663

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
It is better than what they have here in Michigan......the major schools each have their own board......so the schools compete against each other and the other smaller state schools. They have been busy that last few years opening up branches all over.....across the street from each other offering the same programs.....what a c.f.

I think having one board is smarter.......but there should be one rep. from each school and then at large from districts around the state equal to 1/2 to 2/3's of the number of school reps. That would keep one school from dominating the board.
My problem is not actually on having a state board of regents but on what they have a say in, or at least how extensive their power is in determining college/university/Institute (so I don't get jumped on) internal-specific decisions.

Changes to majors or adding and subtracting majors, let alone creating or dismantling entire departments or programs should overwhelmingly be under the purview of a college/U/I specific board of directors and internal governing structure.

Over the years both in the Georgia state legislature and on the BoR it has been clearly demonstrated that UGA football is actually a real factor in the thought process of those in power. I consider that unconscionable for people with power over higher education to repeatedly show themselves influenced by their rooting for a college football team.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
It hasn't been written out and signed so it's not as official.

I checked with my source on the staff ..."Heard that PJ got what he wanted . But have not heard specifics"

@Techster

I was told he wanted more help in the recruiting office...we are up to 3 but we are still under staffed compared to others.

Was also told that he wants this to be his (likely) last contract and that he wants to win it all...when he met with MBob I was told that he was going to ask for what he felt he needed to win it all...and recruiting front and staff support were two of the main things...my source said the $$$ money donors were on CPJs side.

Said he feels CPJ has 5-7 years left max.

Sweet. The fix is in. Is 2016 the year or do we just have to wait and see? :cool:

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
PJ probably wants to make sure his staff is taken care of and that he has in place what it takes to make a serious run at winning. He hates losing more than he likes tap in birdie putts. But he really does love having a legit chance to win it all. If he didn't think he could do that at Tech, he wouldn't have come.

He's got money. He was wealthy when he took the job. So a salary bump to him isn't all that special. But getting more support staff, more recruiting help ... that I can see him wanting to add. Anything to help his odds at winning without selling the soul.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Glad the coach will be there as my boy goes through. He really likes CPJ.
I'm happy for your boy as well.

It's funny that all the CPJ naysayers report that it is his personality that adversely impacts recruiting. They also like to say he blames the players for losses and this affects team morale. I've also heard criticism that he simply doesn't care for the players or puts them in harm's way when they are injured.

Now when you talk to players, ex-players, and parents of players, they consistently say they love him. They also say he is a man of character and builds these kids into fine young men. I'm glad to hear DaddyBill's comments and it just goes to show we should be put more credence in the views of those "in the know" and who have first hand experience with CPJ.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

It's funny that all the CPJ naysayers report that it is his personality that adversely impacts recruiting. They also like to say he blames the players for losses and this affects team morale. I've also heard criticism that he simply doesn't care for the players or puts them in harm's way when they are injured.

Now when you talk to players, ex-players, and parents of players, they consistently say they love him. They also say he is a man of character and builds these kids into fine young men. I'm glad to hear DaddyBill's comments and it just goes to show we should be put more credence in the views of those "in the know" and who have first hand experience with CPJ.

there's the PJ on radio shows and on the weekly press conferences and then there's the PJ away from all that. Truth to be told, writers, much more so than radio folks, love PJ for his off the record stuff where his humor comes through. He never had a weekly press thing at Southern - you could catch him in his office or at practice, and he would be right chatty in both circumstances. And he has that same kind of rapport with players, too. He brings a big needle and loves using it. He also likes to tell kids his standards are high and he ain't lowering them; they better raise theirs to meet his.

Never heard a current or former player or player's family say a single bad thing about Johnson. In fact, most of them have publicly said how much they love the man, and how much he loves his players

there's the PJ on radio shows and on the weekly press conferences and then there's the PJ away from all that. Truth to be told, writers, much more so than radio folks, love PJ for his off the record stuff where his humor comes through. He never had a weekly press thing at Southern - you could catch him in his office or at practice, and he would be right chatty in both circumstances. And he has that same kind of rapport with players, too. He brings a big needle and loves using it. He also likes to tell kids his standards are high and he ain't lowering them; they better raise theirs to meet his.
I think the way he acts on the call-in show is hilarious. I love his back and forth banter with Brandon.....especially the "you need a date" comments

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My problem is not actually on having a state board of regents but on what they have a say in, or at least how extensive their power is in determining college/university/Institute (so I don't get jumped on) internal-specific decisions.

Changes to majors or adding and subtracting majors, let alone creating or dismantling entire departments or programs should overwhelmingly be under the purview of a college/U/I specific board of directors and internal governing structure.

Over the years both in the Georgia state legislature and on the BoR it has been clearly demonstrated that UGA football is actually a real factor in the thought process of those in power. I consider that unconscionable for people with power over higher education to repeatedly show themselves influenced by their rooting for a college football team.

What a bunch of insecure uga BOR members to not let ga tech have a tech oriented sports / coaching degree. Think of the synergy with sports and engineering. Think of the building - with names hiesman, Dodd, broyles, rice - legends who have national sports awards given in their name. These uga folks remind me of the good old boy network before integration. They make me sick

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
What a bunch of insecure uga BOR members to not let ga tech have a tech oriented sports / coaching degree. Think of the synergy with sports and engineering. Think of the building - with names hiesman, Dodd, broyles, rice - legends who have national sports awards given in their name. These uga folks remind me of the good old boy network before integration. They make me sick
It should remind you of the good ol' boy network, because that is what it is. It never went away. These guys are mostly the children of other people in that network. They can't help it; they don't know any way other than [AC/DC]-ing on other people.