Extension Agreement

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the "hidden agenda" here is actually pretty easy to see: Bobinski had to get the cash lined up first.

You usually make offers after the regular season is over, but, in this case, you had a season get better and better (and, hence, the anticipated asking price getting higher and higher) as time went on. Suppose we had the kind of season Ross had in '89: ok and improving. I think Bobinski was ready for that, cash-wise; it was what most everybody expected. Then we go and win 10, perhaps 11, games! All of a sudden we're talking about real money here. And, unlike the Texans or those fools in Alabama, our donors seem to expect actual evidence before they start to throw millions of dollars (it'll be more then Coach's salary) around.

Well, I'm pretty sure that Coach will get what he wants as far as the football program goes. Hope the drama ends soon.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How do u know the things that help the deal have nothing to do with pauls salary?

Paul can be totally ok with his pay. And the offer for his pay. But how do you guys know the things critical to the extension has to do with the program. Assistant salaries. Extra help.

Everyone is speculating its about pauls dollars. I can assure you its more than that.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
From ramblingwreck.com:

"The Jackets clinched their ninth 10-win season in program history – 1928 (10-0), 1947 (10-1), 1951 (11-0-1), 1952 (12-0), 1956 (10-1), 1990 (11-0-1), 1998 (10-2), and 2009 (11-3). It is also the Jackets’ fourth 10-win season of the ACC era."

Just for the record.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
this is business, this is contract negotiations. i know lots of folks have a near obsessive love of coach johnson, but mbob isn't a fan first, he's a business person and in charge of an athletic department with all sorts of moving parts. It'll get done, and johnson will be here awhile, but it's in Tech's best interest that MBob does his job and gets the best deal possible for all parties without souring the well.

Coach Johnson loves saying, "if a coach starts listening to the fans, he'll be sitting with them soon", well that same analogy can be applied to mbob.

that said, i'll be ecstatic if cpj get a $ injection in the football department/staff.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
this is business, this is contract negotiations. i know lots of folks have a near obsessive love of coach johnson, but mbob isn't a fan first, he's a business person and in charge of an athletic department with all sorts of moving parts. It'll get done, and johnson will be here awhile, but it's in Tech's best interest that MBob does his job and gets the best deal possible for all parties without souring the well.

Coach Johnson loves saying, "if a coach starts listening to the fans, he'll be sitting with them soon", well that same analogy can be applied to mbob.

that said, i'll be ecstatic if cpj get a $ injection in the football department/staff.

Mbob is getting paid pretty handsomely to handle this situation better. All this is doing is creating negative recruiting material at them moment. His statements regarding negative recruiting regarding this stuff indicates to me he doesn't completely understand the impact it has. CPJ is a lame duck coach and it has gotten to a rather uncomfortable point in the contract cycle. Like I said before...if Mbob was as good as many here feel this deal woulda been done weeks ago....when CPJ woulda had less bargaining power btw.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It may be just a game between both sides at this point but it honestly shouldn't have gotten this far. I know many of you disagreed with me a few weeks ago about closing this deal then. But I'm just starting to get pissed now.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Mbob is getting paid pretty handsomely to handle this situation better. All this is doing is creating negative recruiting material at them moment. His statements regarding negative recruiting regarding this stuff indicates to me he doesn't completely understand the impact it has. CPJ is a lame duck coach and it has gotten to a rather uncomfortable point in the contract cycle. Like I said before...if Mbob was as good as many here feel this deal woulda been done weeks ago....when CPJ woulda had less bargaining power btw.

you have no idea how this situation has been handled. the fact that cpj's lawyer went to the ajc is pretty bush league. he's trying to light a fire, publicly, under Bobinski. I agree that he should've pressed it a couple weeks ago, but as coach said (in regards to coaching) its always easier to do this in hindsight / 20/20. What happens when bobinski hands him the world after clemson, then we get destroyed by uga, fsu, and crap bowl game? what if johnsons' lawyer/agent was asking way too much? What if it was a hewitt contract? We really don't know anything.

I don't disagree with you in wanting this done, I really don't, but we know very little actual information besides whats being leaked and i'd take that with a grain of salt. I know we're all worked up about the uga win (and for good reason), but MBob gets paid to NOT be worked up about stuff like that, either the really good or the really bad, he needs to keep his head about him.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@potato....I've been saying extend him for a while. Before Clemson btw. It aint about being over hyped following Ugag win. It's about recognizing top flight coaching ability and locking it down long term. Doing so in a manner that won't hamstring our recruiting. And Mbob take on that has been alarming.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
So what has changed since last week's thread where everything about the extension except some "minor details" was already agreed upon and Johnson got "everything he wanted"?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I do hope nobody was expecting that the first offer/counteroffer on what will probably be quite an expensive deal was going to be "close".

That ain't how it works. I think we'll get a good result and I hope it's before the game on Saturday, but, as was pointed out above, this is a business negotiation. Sometimes it can take a little talking to get both sides to a reasonable position. I think that'll happen here because a) I know Tech wants Coach to stay and b) I'm pretty sure he wants to stay too. If both sides really want an agreement, they'll get one and ignore advice to the contrary from the small fry in between. You gotta think big to go places.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
We cant get a better coach for this program giving the limitations of the institution. We have an outside shot of making the playoffs this year. We had already chalked up a loss against uga and 2/3 between Miami,Vt, and Clemson. We beat all of them and had we taken a little longer to score against Unc we would definitely make the playoff with a win over FSU. Get the deal done, couldn't expect a better season even if we had Saban.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I do hope nobody was expecting that the first offer/counteroffer on what will probably be quite an expensive deal was going to be "close".

That ain't how it works. I think we'll get a good result and I hope it's before the game on Saturday, but, as was pointed out above, this is a business negotiation. Sometimes it can take a little talking to get both sides to a reasonable position. I think that'll happen here because a) I know Tech wants Coach to stay and b) I'm pretty sure he wants to stay too. If both sides really want an agreement, they'll get one and ignore advice to the contrary from the small fry in between. You gotta think big to go places.
I agree with you, this was kind of a rebuilding year. New QB, mostly new Oline, lost key components on defense. We have a great shot of being a powerhouse the next 2 years. What im most excited about is that unlike the 08-09 years where we had several special players that were hard to replace. This year it seems like anybody that goes in there is very little drop off. That bodes well for the future guys, we're in an excellent postion to be put on the map and everything will fall into place. Recruiting, attendance, and marketing will increase year after year.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Coming off a division title and win over Georgia, I'm sure CPJ's negotiators are shooting for the moon. Wouldn't be worth their cut if they didn't. If we win ACCCG, Mbob will have sat at the table with KGB and lost his a**.